Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2022, 01:54 PM   #15

When we were SD 'residents' and got a Juror Summons we called, explained we were FT RVrs and the Clerk of the Court excused us permanently

CALL and Inquire with the Clerk of the Court
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2022, 02:11 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You can use hardship because of the cost to make make it to court.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 03:20 PM   #17

I just go the same thing for federal Court not state. The 70 and over thing went away a year and a half ago. You can request it in writing but they don't have to give it to you. If you are away or have reservations you can have your jury duty changed to a later date.
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 09:19 PM   #18

I was called for jury assignment the first 2 weeks of this month and was not called in but none the less had to block out the first 16 days in case of an over run. I didn't appreciate the courts wasting my time so in your situation I am confident once you explain your situation, they will release you of your commitment.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 04:49 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've received a jury summons from Minnehaha County a couple years ago. We called and explained we were out of state. They asked when we would like to be available. Their process then was to assign you to a team and you call in every Friday for the up coming week. I believe we were on call for a month but only went in 1 time. We do believe in doing our civil duty. We were able to make it work for our schedule.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 06:46 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
If 70 or over you can be excused.
Not in South Dakota. See this quote from their regulations: Source:

"SL 1972, ch 125, § 3.

16-13-10.3. Certain elderly persons may be excused upon request.

Any person eighty years of age or older may request to be excused from jury duty. The judge shall give substantial weight to the person's request to be relieved from jury duty, balancing the request with the need to impanel a jury."

In South Dakota you may request excuse from jury duty if you are over 80. It is still the discretion of the court on an individual basis if your request will be granted.

In my state of Colorado age is not a reason to be excused. If you are incapacitated by AGE you may be excused. You won't be excused just because you are 90! I'm 75. I had Jury Duty a couple months ago. However the local court serves a very large number of jury summons and then on the day before the scheduled duty a decision is made about the true number of jurors needed that day. That number of jurors is randomly selected from the jury pool and all else are excused.

I got excused without even asking!
Old 08-20-2022, 08:35 AM   #21

I was on a jury once for a whole month. I was even self employed at the time. So I lost a ton of income. The $5/day they gave me didn't even cover lunch.
Serving on a jury is your civic duty. I honestly do not understand why so many people do not want to do it.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
When we were SD 'residents' and got a Juror Summons we called, explained we were FT RVrs and the Clerk of the Court excused us permanently

CALL and Inquire with the Clerk of the Court
What county and how long ago was this?
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 06:10 PM   #23

Unless everything has changed, this has worked twice for Sharon.

My wife sent this:

TO: MinnehahaJury@ujs.state.sd.us

Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2019 1:21 PM

Subject: [EXT] Juror Summons

Hello, I am a Full Time RV'r, and just received a Summons, #xxxxxxxxx. I am currently in Louisiana. Can you tell me the procedure to be excused?

Thank you

Name and phone number

RECEIVED

Subject: RE: Juror Summons Date: Thu, Dec 26, 2019 10:07 am

Sharon, Thank you for your email. We do excuse full time RVers. I have released you and will send out a letter for your records. Thank you, Nicole
Old 08-20-2022, 11:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I honestly do not understand why so many people do not want to do it.
I don't think it's that people don't 'want' to do it. The question is when you're far away traveling there's time and money involved in getting back. Also, what if it were winter? Driving from Florida to South Dakota isn't ideal. What if traveling out of the country?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 05:52 AM   #25

Minniehaha SD. The notice was last week
Old 08-24-2022, 09:12 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkVic Yelo View Post
Hello fellow full-timers,
Hope I can get some recent input. I recently received a jury summons for jury duty in Minniehaha SD. I called our mail box provider Dakota Post and they advised of a most recent decision that you have to appear. We are no where close and in desperate need of information or persons to contact to be excused. Thanks for the help and input.
Hi. I’m in this same situation as we speak. When I first received the summons a few months ago, I was told by other SD RVers that I could simply be excused due to being a full time RVer. But the jury manager clarified that is no longer the case (as of this year). My original assignment was June. Because of my travel schedule, there was no way I could do June. The jury manager said I could delay my assigned month, but I needed to serve before the end of the year. I first picked October but more recently changed it again to November. The important thing to know is there is no longer any way to get out of jury duty as a fulltime RVer.
RVerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I was on a jury once for a whole month. I was even self employed at the time. So I lost a ton of income. The $5/day they gave me didn't even cover lunch.
Serving on a jury is your civic duty. I honestly do not understand why so many people do not want to do it.

Why is it my civic duty? I have no faith in the justice/court system and will refuse to do it, they can call me in but I will flat out with out a doubt tell them I will find the person innocent.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:33 AM   #28

Change your mailbox provider to another county then call the court and tell them you moved. When I went to jury duty there was a person there that was excused because he lived in another county.