Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2022, 10:58 AM   #1

Jury Duty Minniehaha SD

Hello fellow full-timers,
Hope I can get some recent input. I recently received a jury summons for jury duty in Minniehaha SD. I called our mail box provider Dakota Post and they advised of a most recent decision that you have to appear. We are no where close and in desperate need of information or persons to contact to be excused. Thanks for the help and input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2022, 11:09 AM   #2
Community Moderator

In my experience you need to request a postponement OR advise them that you exceed an age that automatically excuses you from jury duty.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:13 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Your summons should have contact info, even if just for more info or further notification. Call whatever number it provides, or failing that, find a phone number for the Clerk of the Court in that town & county.

My advice is to explain that you are out of state and cannot make that particular date, but don't try to say you can't ever be a juror unless you qualify for some permanent exemption under SD state law. The courts are not sympathetic to people who are merely inconvenienced by jury duty and the clerk does not have the authority to make exceptions. The clerk can, however, reschedule your appearance if you ask politely.
Note: SD doesn't have many excuses for exemption. See https://www.juryduty101.com/states/s...y-duty-excuses
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:32 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkVic Yelo View Post
Hello fellow full-timers,
Hope I can get some recent input. I recently received a jury summons for jury duty in Minniehaha SD. I called our mail box provider Dakota Post and they advised of a most recent decision that you have to appear. We are no where close and in desperate need of information or persons to contact to be excused. Thanks for the help and input.
Call the clerk and start speaking in tounges. Make just enough sense to explain how excited you are to sentence someone to the electric chair and ask if after you convict them you can go watch the execution.

You'll be off the list. (probably voter roles to but who knows)
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:38 AM   #5

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
Call the clerk and start speaking in tounges. Make just enough sense to explain how excited you are to sentence someone to the electric chair and ask if after you convict them you can go watch the execution.

You'll be off the list. (probably voter roles to but who knows)
Not sure that would work until you actually in a court room.
Rhody_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:43 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mark...I'm curious what state you have your driver's license in...is it South Dakota?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:28 PM   #7

Yes my license is in SD
Old 08-19-2022, 12:28 PM   #8

Contact the judge or court that issuers the jury duty tell him that you are out of the state and will not be back in the state !for some time ! They will excuse you ! Do this by letter notbphone ! Also some states do not require you to do jury duty after 70
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:30 PM   #9

According to the United States Court... (Juror instruction page...)
The Jury Act allows courts to grant temporary deferrals of service on the grounds of "undue hardship or extreme inconvenience." The qualification questionnaire and juror summons provides specific information on how to request a deferral from your individual court.
Whether or not to grant a deferral is a matter of discretion for the court.

That said, and as noted... You may only apply for a "deferral" from your current jury duty assignment...

Good Luck...
bobphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:38 PM   #10

If 70 or over you can be excused. If having a mental or physical disability that cannot be accommodated for' you can be excused. If having been a juror within the last 4' you can be excused. If a former felon' you can be excused. If a former legal counsel or aide' you can be excused.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:43 PM   #11

I think you should do your civic duty and go report for jury duty in the state you’ve chosen to use as your address.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:47 PM   #12

Escapees says "The easy answer in Livingston, Texas, and Box Elder, South Dakota, or Bushnell, Florida, the three domicile locations for Escapees members, is to call and let them know ahead of time that you are currently unavailable to serve. In Livingston, Texas, you may immediately be asked if you are with Escapees. If so, you will be asked to let the court know when you will be back in the area so that you can then serve on a jury panel."

As far as I know there isn't anything in writing about this. It's just common sense being applied within the respective state government agency. Communicate, be honest, and be polite, and they'll likely respond in kind.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 01:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonS View Post
Escapees says "The easy answer in Livingston, Texas, and Box Elder, South Dakota, or Bushnell, Florida, the three domicile locations for Escapees members, is to call and let them know ahead of time that you are currently unavailable to serve. In Livingston, Texas, you may immediately be asked if you are with Escapees. If so, you will be asked to let the court know when you will be back in the area so that you can then serve on a jury panel."

As far as I know there isn't anything in writing about this. It's just common sense being applied within the respective state government agency. Communicate, be honest, and be polite, and they'll likely respond in kind.
We domiciled in Livingston, TX with Escapees and received probably 3-4 jury notices over 16 years while we were traveling. All it took was a phone call to be excused because we were traveling. We received very polite replies of "thank you".
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 01:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
I think you should do your civic duty and go report for jury duty in the state you’ve chosen to use as your address.
If you were a thousand miles away or on a flight to Europe, you would go back?

OP: I answered in your other post but I'll do so again. We were domiciled in Livingston, TX with Escapees. We were sent jury notices probably 3-4 times during our 16 years of full-timing. All we had to do was to call the number on the postcard and say we were traveling and we were politely excused with a "thank you". Absolutely no issue. South Dakota may be different so you'll need to call.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote