Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2017, 11:23 PM   #1

Ladders

Getting ready to go full time in our 5th wheel and was wondering about ladders.

I've seen several RVers carry step ladders strapped on the RV ladder. Doesn't seem like a good place considering the vibration and load over time, but could be my perception to error on the side of caution. I carry a short ladder ( three steps, folding ) in the bay and have used it occasionally on our camping trips. Wondering if as a fulltimer I really need a taller ladder. I have a 5 ft aluminum and a 7ft fiberglass available to take. So the questions are..

If you carry one, what do you carry? How do you carry it.

How often do you use your ladder a year?

If you have carried one on the rear ladder any issues?
DPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2017, 11:33 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a collapsing telescopic ladder.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:38 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Since Alpines didn't put ladders on their coaches, we have always had a ladder that would allow us to reach the roof. We have a 13 ft ladder and have used it more than once to get up on top and secure the cover over our front A/C (we have had 2 shrouds disintegrate) as well as replaceing caps on holding tanks vents. Pull we use it at shorter lengths for washing/waxing coach, etc.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:52 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ladders

I like to be able to reach the roof of our Dutch Star, and I don't trust the manufacturer attached ladder.

I carry this Werner folding ladder folded into a 4ft unit and hung / bungied on the coach ladder. No problems in 5 years. I use it as an 8ft A-frame step ladder for general tasks, and a 16 ft straight ladder for solid, secure roof access.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0322.JPG
Views:	948
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	166076  
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:29 AM   #5
paz

I never like to see step ladders, blue boys, lawn chairs or bicycles strapped to the ladders on the backs of RVs. Not only could it be unsafe if one of the fasteners comes loose, but it reminds me of the Clampets.

For a step ladder, I carry a 7-footer like this.

It folds up so I can store it along the front of my storage bay. You can also get a length of PVC fence post and mount it under the frame of a 5th wheel or trailer.ve
Save
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:04 AM   #6

I carry a 12.5' telescopic ladder. Have used it many times, doesn't take up a lot of space and I carry it in one of the bays. At first I was wondering if I really need one but it's been invaluable.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:11 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
I never like to see step ladders, blue boys, lawn chairs or bicycles strapped to the ladders on the backs of RVs. Not only could it be unsafe if one of the fasteners comes loose, but it reminds me of the Clampets.

For a step ladder, I carry a 7-footer like this.

It folds up so I can store it along the front of my storage bay. You can also get a length of PVC fence post and mount it under the frame of a 5th wheel or trailer.ve
Save
+1 I have this same ladder. It's amazingly solid and stable when unfolded.

EDIT: Looking at the photo more closely, this is not the same ladder I have. I have this ladder.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:21 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post

EDIT: Looking at the photo more closely, this is not the same ladder I have. I have this ladder.
Same here. I added the optional top cap, and I store it in the rear pas thru bay . Has worked well for me.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post

I have a ladder on the back of my RV and the few times in need to get on roof it's fine I used to carry a 5 ft step ladder but replaced it with a telescoping ladder but have since taken it out and want back to step ladder, it's easier for me to use step ladder to clean the the RV windows and under side of awning
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:16 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I carried an 8ft step ladder on the rear ladder for awhile until I noticed the ladder coming apart and decided it was just too much weight on it. Need a longer ladder but haven't found a way to carry it, most of the telescoping/folding ladders don't have a 300LB rating which is what I would need.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:27 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To carry a step ladder on the factory installed rear ladder it must be light. Mine is a 5' aluminum. Wish it was 6'. I made long brackets for the step ladder to attach to the step of the factory ladder. And then 1 heavy duty spongee cord at the bottom wrapped around both. Never a problem. Used it hundreds of times. If stored in a under compartment it would take up too much space.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #12

On sale for $132.26 including shipping. Just ordered mine. I used to have a full 8ft ladder but it was just too big in the basement.
RV Upgrade Store
Old 06-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #13

I carry this one.
Click image for larger version

Name:	upload1498237313.258243.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	166104
It's heavy but I can use it either as an extension or as a step ladder. I carry it in the back of my pick up
Old 06-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #14

My MH has a rear mounted ladder. The bottom half of the ladder hooks on the bottom of the upper mounted section. So, you would have to store the bottom half... taking up precious storage space.

I too bought the 7' collapsing ladder and stored the bottom half of the factory ladder in my shop.

The 7' collapsing ladder will allow me to get to the mounted upper half of the factory mounted ladder, to get on the roof.
Since the 7' collapsing ladder is portable, I can move it to any side of the MH and it is great for cleaning the windshield. Seems to be pretty sturdy and stable.

When collapsed, it takes up very little room in the pass through storage.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote