RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:42 PM   #1

Long term RV Storage for Full Timers

My husband and I are going to be living in Sweden for 1 1/2 years as soon as we can get Visas, etc. In the mean time we are concerned about storing our home while we're gone. We have a fifth wheel here in MN. We own a home that our kids live in and we do have an RV Pad but no cover from the elements so we are thinking of getting indoor storage somewhere. We have considered buying a cover but heard a lot of down sides to the option. I have also looked at buying an aluminum "carport-like" unit. I don't know if we have enough room for it and need to find out the city rules on it. Has anyone had this situation? Have you stored your RV for more than a year? We have a fifth wheel and a RAM 3500 diesel truck. We'll have our sons use the truck and keep it up while we're gone. We are in Minnesota where the weather conditions are not what we are used to. (We lived here when young but have been in warmer, milder climates for the past 30 years or so.) Would appreciate any feedback that will help us protect our RV! Thanks!

MKOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2020, 09:55 PM   #2

Sell the 5th wheel and then when you return from Sweden buy another one IF still interested in FTng

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:05 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would agree with the biscuit here. Stored for a year and a half or more, the unit will age far more than that.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:03 AM   #4

Sell the fiver and the truck. Park the proceeds in a money market account. If you want back into full timing when you come back, then go shopping using that parked money as your seed money. Sitting on depreciating liabilities that require ongoing maintenance, insurance, special storage, etc is a bad financial move.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:55 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't disagree with previous recommendations - but you can also consider the following:
- Remove the batteries entirely - buy new ones when you return
- Place 5ver on blocks to take the pressure off the tires, then inflate to max cold sidewall pressure and cover - be prepared to buy new ones when you return
- Winterize the unit thoroughly - remove all liquids of any sort
- Open all the cabinet doors / drawers / frig / freezer, etc
- Crack open a few windows and ceiling vents for ventilation
- Thoroughly use bug spray in all spaces
- Consider mouse traps if someone will ensure they are emptied as needed
- Have family members check on condition every month
Old 06-06-2020, 08:13 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While in the Army I long term stored my original TT for 11 months one time, 3 years another time followed by 30 months 3rd time. No covering. Removed battery. Had son drive tow vehicle once a month and check RV roof monthly - no seal cracking noticed entire time. Came home, aired out RV & cleaned. Installed new tires and battery, sanitized water system, checked everything out and lived in it for 3 months while waiting on quarters and then another 11 months using every weekend.

Having said that, if I was going OS for 18 months I would seriously consider selling both units and reevaluate upon return to States.

Enjoy Europe and consider RVing there. Its different.

Best wishes in your decision - Richard
Old 06-06-2020, 03:33 PM   #7

I'd also recommend selling it. You'll be gone for a 1-1/2 yr. That's a lot of sitting without use and if you have to pay to store it under cover that's a big additional cost. Not good for tires either.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:10 PM   #8

At the rate that we are going, due to Covid 19, we are approaching a year in storage. Normally we are 6 months in storage with no attention at all.

Mothballing the trailer is no big deal. A few days prepping with a full interior detailing with wood oiling is done. Outside it is ready for storage freshly washed & waxed top to bottom. Last morning in the last CG it gets a thorough flushing out at the dump. It gets the winterising treatment & then the FW tank drain is opened during the drive to storage. We have indoor heated storage. Well worth the money. Once parked inside the battery is disconnected, propane off, fridge thoroughly cleaned doors cracked open, drier sheets, mothballs etc. all over, close the door & say our goodbyes till next year.

The truck is abit of a problem since we are not the last to drive it before it too sits for 6 months. The owners of the storage place pick the truck up from the airport for us & put it into storage next to the trailer. The truck has also had preps for mothballing in the form of a thorough service, oil change, cleaned & waxed within days of being put into hibernation.

I can't imagine selling truck or trailer if we were to have a year & a half dormancy. The truck has been good to us. We have not seen another trailer that we would prefer to what we have. Too much has gone into it to make it ours.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:46 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Agreeing with pretty much everyone else I'll boil it down to this: Turn your depreciating assets (5th wheel and truck) into appreciating assets (money market or Mutual funds). It is almost impossible to argue with this logic........... but then again humans aren't always logical

Wishing you all the best in your overseas adventure......good luck!
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:23 PM   #10

If the kids need a truck and are willing to drive it, keep it, but sell the trailer. Heck you never know that 18 months could turn into 2 or more years easily. Heck, sell both and buy a small RV in Europe to travel around in on weekends.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #11

Thanks so much everyone! We've decided to sell them both. I am attched to them and would liek to keep them but we will know exactly what we want next time and my husband will make any fixes to the things that we did to this one. Now we just have to figure out the best way to sell it. We figure we'll try to sell them first ourselves and if they don't sell we'll turn them over to a dealer to sell, I guess. Thanks for the input!!!!
Old 06-07-2020, 01:56 PM   #12

Good decision to sell them. RVTrader would be an option. Your truck should sell fast just with a local ad. You could try your RV that way, also. If time is nearing for you to leave for Sweden and it's still not sold, plan to take your last trip to PPL Consignment in Texas and they'll easily sell it for you. Ours was sold within a month for the price we put on it. A couple flew in from Florida to purchase it. They sell things fast. It was an easy process. Then you don't have to worry about dealing with it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:17 PM   #13

We've decided to keep the truck. It only has 10,000 miles on it and we just bought a cover for the bed. It's a great truck. The boys can drive it a little and keep it alive for us :-) we will sell the RV though. 2018 Arctic Fox 29 5-T for sale! :-)

Tags
full time, full timer, storage