RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:51 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Louisiana Full-Timers?

Are there any full-timers from Louisiana and still using Louisiana as their principal address?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 06:36 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I guess being I got no responses there are no full-timers from Louisiana.

The reason I am asking is I would like to have a private RV lot in Louisiana for our base. My main concern is getting my mail while on our trips. We don't get much mail, but the important odd piece comes in some time. All of our bills are coming in via email/internet.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:46 AM   #3

We're not from Louisiana but we use a mail service in SD. There are many services out there. FMCA does this.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
How would these work with a Louisiana address? The main mail I am concerned about is insurance (medical) and tax notices.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #5

I have been researching the mail forwarding companies in South Dakota, and am assuming all of their operations are very similar. I believe it won't matter in which state the mail forwarding company is located, unless you plan on changing your state of residence.
This is the basic process: you sign an agreement, using the mail forwarding company's address as your address; you notify everyone of your new address; depending on your agreement, your mail is forwarded to you at the address you last listed with the mf company. Or choose an "on demand" service, as we will be doing, and you can receive an email notification of the mail you have received and you decide when you want it forwarded to you. Also, the company we will be choosing can scan and email certain pieces of mail that are time-sensitive.

If you haven't already done so, I strongly recommend you set up your credit card statements, bank statements, etc to electronic statements.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 03-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Address??

I am still unable to get in my head on what to use as an address if we go fulltime. This is a deciding factor to fulltime or not. My immediate thinking is we would sell the S&B and at that time I would need an address to forward our mail to us at that time. Immediately after selling the S&B we would live in our current motorhome until we buy a bigger one to fulltime and travel in more. During this process I would need an address for the credit check, insurance, etc. to buy the new coach. I plan on putting down at least half of the cost of the motorhome as a downpayment. The rest will be added to our savings/SS/401k money.

During our discussions (DW and myself) we don't know if we want a permanent location in Louisiana or anywhere until we travel more. We don't have any family close by to have our mail delivered to or use as our address. At one point I thought about buying a very small plot of land just to have that address. But that is throwing money away. From what I understand I would have to have a physical address for driver license, social security, insurance (medical, vehicle and life), banking, etc. So a PO Box will not do. But a PO Box may work in the time span right after we sell the S&B.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:16 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't confuse legal domicile with your address. They are not the same. See HERE for the difference. Some states like SD are very friendly to full timers. See Alternative Resources | RV Mail Forwarding | Sioux Falls | South Dakota for info on SD. TX and FL are other states used by a lot of full timers. SD and TX (via the Escapees ) excuse full timers from jury duty and make it easy to get a drivers license and register to vote. I would go ahead and get set up with my full timers domicile and use the mail forwarding address. Getting a loan can be an issue as a full timer but there are some companies tha twill work with you. Alternative Resources has a bank reference that does.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #8

Our legal adress and domiscile state are for our conveinance not to live in. I believe you are overthinking this.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:42 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Would a vacant lot with a mailbox serve as a physcial address?
Old 04-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
We are full timers from Louisiana, kept Louisiana as our domicile. We still own property here. Even if we didn't, we would still keep our domicile here and use a family member's address for mail. State income tax is low (2% on $0-50,000 income), and more importantly, vehicle registration is much lower than TX, SD, or FL. We are retired, so income level is controlled.
thanks8990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:14 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
This is why we are wanting to stay with Louisiana. But we have no kinfolk in Louisiana. That is why I am thinking of buying a private lot with a mobile home (can be used for motorhome also) hookups or old hunting/fishing camp. We would stay in our coach when we are there. I could then use the UPS mailbox service to send our mail (what little we do get) to use as we are on the road.

I just don't know if I can get mail delivered if the lot is vacant.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
First thing, we went to paperless billing on everything that we could, so we get very little mail. We do have a mailbox, we do get mail at our property. While we were gone, I had my mail forwarded to my mother's home. You can do this for a certain length of time, look at the USPS site. You can also have them hold your mail and if you are gone for over 30 days, they will forward it to a temporary address. I don't know much about it, but take a look at this link... https://holdmail.usps.com/holdmail/

I don't know of any mail forwarding services in Louisiana like SD, TX, and FL have; something you'd have to research.
thanks8990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are full timers and kept La. as our domicle. we use a UPS mail box for all snail mail. We have them forward it as needed. Kept vehicles registered and DLs in La. No problems so far. We've been FT since 2011. UPS has been great on forwading mail to where ever we have been staying.
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We had another push towards going fulltime when we got home after finishing a successful three week trip. Apparently a storm knocked out my garage outlets where we had a chest freezer and another refrigerator/freezer full of food. We figured we lost several hundred dollars of meat and vegetables including ribs and pork shoulders for me to smoke.

I will refreeze everything and then throw it all away. Hopefully the stink won't be to bad.