Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2022, 09:54 PM   #1

Mail Service Advice

I'm retiring in June and we'll be on the road with our tt for about 5 mos. We live in NJ and will travel to Wyoming, Montana, Washington, then up to British Columbia for another 6 weeks (we have a cabin there) and then down through the southwest and finally loop back to NJ in November. The last couple of years we've taken shorter version of this trip and simply rented a PO Box at home and picked up mail on our return after about 10 weeks. But 5 mos needs a different plan.

Can anyone give me the basics on the main/best mail forwarding services? From our 10 week jaunts I think we'll only need a few pieces actually forwarded to us. I've heard some places will open and send you an image if requested. I would think that would suffice for some of the other pieces. Most of the mail was superfluous, even after the"junk" mail was removed.

I'm mostly concerned about official notices about retirement, vehicle registration, or maybe checks etc from bureaucracys that still do snail mail. Other than that were mostly online for banking, insurance, etc.

Thanks in advance - please let me know if there's another forum to ask this on or if there's answers somewhere already - I'm on a limited tablet right now so it's pretty hard to search much.
Peterk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2022, 10:07 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
For stretches of 10 weeks I would look for a neighbor or relative to collect (forward to) rather than a service.

We however have used St. Brandan's Isle in Green Cove springs for the last 8 years or so with no problems but we are FT currently and before that we lived in the Dominican Republic so no real address for the last 17 years.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:11 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I agree with the above poster, have an address change go to a relative if possible. I use MyRVMail in Crestview, FL and have been very happy with them, but I'm also full time so it is not just a 10 month need. One nice thing about RV mail services is that you get an email when you get mail with a picture of the outside of the envelope. Then if you want it forwarded to you, you just give them the address you want it forwarded to. You can also have them open the letter/mail and scan it to review. Has worked well for me - they also shred the mail that is just junk so I never have to go through it!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:37 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Since it is only about 5 months, I would suggest a UPS mailbox. We used them for our first 2 years on the road, then switched to South Dakota residency and now use Americas Mailbox.

But with UPS, you can call and have your mail forwarded and then after you return keep the mailbox for use. That way, you will already have a mail service in place for your future trips.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
St Brendanís Isle for us too. Five years without a problem. If you winter in Florida, youíll get your mail in two days.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
St Brendanís Isle for us too. Five years without a problem. If you winter in Florida, youíll get your mail in two days.
The OP is going nowhere near Florida.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:20 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterk56 View Post

I'm mostly concerned about official notices about retirement, vehicle registration, or maybe checks etc from bureaucracys that still do snail mail. Other than that were mostly online for banking, insurance, etc.
We've used MyRVmail (https://myrvmail.com/) for 10 years traveling in a similar manner. We've been very pleased with their service. Each afternoon, we can use their phone app to see an image of the mail that's arrived. We can select what we want done with the mail: shred, scan, forward, hold, etc. Their forwarding service allows a wide range of methods from next day air to USPS envelope.

One caution. Some institutions (DMV and banks, perhaps others) regularly send mail with a "Return Service Requested" marking on the envelope. The USPS doesn't forward those. They return them to the sender. You may, or may not, know when that happens. You may be able to arrange with DMV and banks to temporarily change your address to your mail forwarding service.

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-21-2022, 05:20 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
The OP is going nowhere near Florida.
You do not need to be in FL to use St. Brendan's Isle. WE used them for 6 or more years while living in the Dominican Republic and now for the last 3 years while full timing. We have spent less than 4 months in FL over the last 2 years.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, service