This is really just a story to help folks considering going FT understand that things happen and be smart and prepared.
We hit the FT road Nov 2013 so now we have a solid 6 months of it. 3 1/2 were spent in the TX RGV so, to be honest, on the road time is closer to 3 months. As I am typing I am in a Glasgow, KY hospital after a rough few days. Ah...but don't worry about that, I should be OUTA HERE before the end of day.
The short version is that on Tuesday at about 3 a.m. I had a 105* temp and passed out in the bathroom. Dumb me talked my wife out of the ambulance trip but we did get to the emergency room later that morning. I was treated with antibiotics, given fluids, blood samples taken and the temp got close to normal. Late that evening I went home to our MH @ Cave County RV Park in Cave City, KY.
Wednesday was up and down. I didn't feel bad but temps were a little up and down and morning sweats were fearsome.
We had plans to be in Elkhart, IN by Friday to go to Bradd & Hall to have a sofa removed and recliner installed. Then by Monday we would be in Charlotte, MI at the Spartan factory for our annual service. Trying to be smart we moved B&H to Monday and Spartan to Tuesday. With that I made plans to go back to the hospital and have my back looked at. I was in terrible pain during the nights and I suspected the fall "twisted" something. I also thought the extra time was good for recuperation and maybe we could sneak in a tour of Mammoth Cave.
Thursday we went back to the Urgent Care side of the hospital and really were expecting something different than we found. The Doctor listened to my heart, ordered an EKG and sent me directly to the Emergency room. My heart was in AFib
We drive about 1/2 mile to the ER where someone was waiting with a wheel chair and I was whisked directly to Trauma Room 1 and the fun began. More blood, EKGs, Chest X-rays, 3 IV lines, a heart echo sonogram and I'm now laying there waiting for what ever news we get. The ER doctor was concerned I had an infection around the heart. After a couple hours she comes back and with a grin says good news...you have pneumonia. Based on every test so far the AFib might have been directly caused by the pneumonia and nothing more sinister like enlarged heart and stuff like that.
So...back to the fact I'm still in the hospital but expect to be released today.
What do we think we have learned through this?
1. Always have an emergency medical plan package. The package should include basic health information, insurance information, living wills and power of attorney documents. If you can have more detailed medical records on a memory stick, all the better. It should be easy to grab and go. A big red envelope could be the way to go.
2. Slow down and recuperate. In our case it was fortunate that we moved some appointments around and did the follow up check on my back. Certainly it was pure luck that looking at my back revealed the coronary issue but deciding to be smart vs in a hurry really paid off.
3. When you are in a place to take care of stuff that might not seem so bad at the time, consider getting it done anyway. While my back was killing me, I really thought it was just an aggregation of a known condition. Taking the added time to recuperate and using that to revisit the back thing was smart.
This could have gotten real ugly if I was in a traveling status, gutting it out and getting really sick. This was especially true since I was not having any of the symptoms I expected to be associated with pneumonia. I was basically NOT having any symptoms.
Be especially cautious if you are in areas with limited health care facilities. There can be lots of space between them in states like WY, ND & SD.
Finally, be glad if you are in a good place where you don't need to go. Cave Country RV Park
did and OUTSTANDING job! As soon as I went to the hospital on Tuesday and told them I didn't know about our Wednesday planned departure they locked up our site from the reservation system until we told them we were mended and ready to leave. They even were prepared to convert any additional days to weekly/monthly rates if things got more serious.
I'm betting some others might toss out some ideas for me and others to consider.