Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2006, 08:01 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am thinking about fulltime RVing. And semi-retireing. I am 52 my wife is 48 I was wondering does anyone have any tips on a good Medical plan CHEAP . Any good ideas will help . Thank You George
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2006, 08:01 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am thinking about fulltime RVing. And semi-retireing. I am 52 my wife is 48 I was wondering does anyone have any tips on a good Medical plan CHEAP . Any good ideas will help . Thank You George
Old 03-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #3

New Horizons Owners Club
I didn't think you could use Medical Plan and Cheap in the same sentence.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

If you have insurance where you are now you may be able to to go with the COBRA rules and take your existing insurance with you. But you should expect the cost to rise significantly. If you are like me and in an HMO then we will have to find something else and feel darned lucky if anyone will sign us up at any price.
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:07 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for your reply jperry But I am in the same boat ( Motorhome ) as you with a HMO plan. I check out Cobra already and they want close to a $1000.00 per month . I did find one com. and they are sending info. When I get it I will let you know.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:18 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Check AARP. They have a United Health Care paln in some states that looks good. N/A in So. Dakota. Other problem is getting underwirtten when you are moving about all the time. Insurers expect you to stay put and vacation rarely. We really mess that model up.

Best solution we have found is to pay as you go and live/pray for good health. A Medical Spending Account makes sense. I wish there was a way to cost service at negociated rates.

Good luck and share what you find with the rest of us.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:14 AM   #6

I am not an insurance agent and do not pretend to have a lot of knowledge about insurance.

That said, I have tried the .com insurance route and been very disappointed. I think that you will be better served by finding a good insurance agent that you can sit in front of and discuss your personal situation and needs. I would look for an agent that can get quotes from more than one good company.

Art
agkcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:21 PM   #7

Did anyone see the recent show about how hospitals bilk uninsured? It was one of those 20/20 or 60 minutes or something. A couple examples they gave was a roofer fell off the roof and wound up in the hospital for 18 days. His bill was $249,000 of which almost put him back in the hospital. There is an organization that investigates this and found if he had been insured the bill to insurance company would have been $50,000. Due to bad publicity and the pressure from this group they wrote off his bill as charity case. Another case was someone had been billed by a hospital (different one) for services totalling $50,000. If he had been insured his insurance would have been billed around $9,000.

We are uninsured and pray for good health. Art has applied for VA medical since he is a veteran and had malignant melonoma a few years ago. You can't even find a high deductible policy for cheap.

If you find a cheap medical plan, let us all know!!

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:38 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
FWIW, insurance companies have contracts with medical facilities to accept a certain dollar figure for a specific medical procedure. What they accept as payment in full is substantially smaller than what someone is billed directly.

This make medical insurance affordable for most of us.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote