Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2021, 10:15 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbwhitney View Post
Thank you for the information! I see a few people are using Escapees mail service in Texas. Is there any particular reason why you went with that service? Since I'm from the Midwest, I was planning on going with SD. I'm so sorry you had to have brain surgery, but I'm glad to hear everything went well and you didn't have any problems with Medicare. I hope you're doing better now!
We were living in Texas when we retired from UT-Tyler, so it made sense to stay Texas residents. Plus our daughter and son-in-law teach in Texas, etc.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2021, 03:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Thank you for the information! I see a few people are using Escapees mail service in Texas. Is there any particular reason why you went with that service?
When we began full-timing we knew we wanted to join Escapees because of other things than domicile. We wanted to get involved with the social aspect/clubs of the Club and we heard excellent things about the mail forwarding service. Texas was an easy choice. South Dakota wasn't in the picture for Escapees at the time so it was not an option for us. If you live in the Midwest I would think Texas would be your choice.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If you live in the Midwest I would think Texas would be your choice.
I guess I should have clarified Upper Midwest. Currently I'm in Iowa, and Sioux Falls is 8.5 hours away. Livingston, TX is 13.5 hours. I'm from Indiana originally and my sisters live there, so I'll be going back there once or twice or more every year. So, that's why I thought I'd go with SD. Thanks for the information!
pbwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #18

You don't need to actually go to the state you're domiciled except maybe to get everything set up.... make a a pleasure trip! Thereafter you can do everything online. If Texas, you don't have to return to have your RV inspected... just check the box online. If you're passing through Texas you don't need an inspection. You have 5 days of 'driving time' to get through.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You don't need to actually go to the state you're domiciled except maybe to get everything set up.... make a a pleasure trip! Thereafter you can do everything online. If Texas, you don't have to return to have your RV inspected... just check the box online. If you're passing through Texas you don't need an inspection. You have 5 days of 'driving time' to get through.
I know that SD just requires 1 overnight stay to count as a resident. I'll have to check on if they require inspections though. Iowa doesn't do inspections and neither does Indiana, so I've never had to have a vehicle inspected. Thanks again for the information!
pbwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:48 AM   #20

This link may help you sort things out. It includes a 'clicky' for a PDF for all three popular domicile states (TX, FL, SD) and how to domicile in them.

https://www.escapees.com/domicile-for-rvers/
Old 10-20-2021, 05:57 AM   #21

Quote:
I guess I should have clarified Upper Midwest. Currently I'm in Iowa, and Sioux Falls is 8.5 hours away. Livingston, TX is 13.5 hours. I'm from Indiana originally and my sisters live there, so I'll be going back there once or twice or more every year. So, that's why I thought I'd go with SD. Thanks for the information!
The million dollar question is "where will you winter at"? Very few full timers winter in SD, many do so in Texas, Arizona, and of course Florida. Another little pesky item to consider is what states will make you get vehicle and/or truck inspections every year, or what states require a different driver's license classification to operate a large RV?

Florida has no state income tax, does not require vehicle inspections, and you can drive about any size RV with only a regular DL. Health insurance and Medicare are major concerns when going full time, but there are tons of other things to consider also.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:46 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
The million dollar question is "where will you winter at"? Very few full timers winter in SD, many do so in Texas, Arizona, and of course Florida. Another little pesky item to consider is what states will make you get vehicle and/or truck inspections every year, or what states require a different driver's license classification to operate a large RV?

Florida has no state income tax, does not require vehicle inspections, and you can drive about any size RV with only a regular DL. Health insurance and Medicare are major concerns when going full time, but there are tons of other things to consider also.
We domiciled in Florida three years ago, from Michigan. Easy process and saved us a ton of money. Just the registration and licensing saved us $1800 a year. Michigan only deprecates a MH three years and then taxes you based on that value. I paid $1860 in Michigan and for the same thing, only $60 in Florida.

Plus Florida offered considerably more HC insurance options than did Michigan.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
The million dollar question is "where will you winter at"?
Why would you need to winter in the same place? We traveled around. No issues.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:38 PM   #24

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
I know that SD just requires 1 overnight stay to count as a resident. I'll have to check on if they require inspections though. Iowa doesn't do inspections and neither does Indiana, so I've never had to have a vehicle inspected. Thanks again for the information!
South Dakota Does NOT have vehicle inspections , nor require an "Endorsement" on your drivers lic.
[Also the sales tax rates are less than TX or FL.]
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote