Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #1

More refrigerator/Freezer space...

Hi all - New here and my first post, so I apologize if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find an answer through searching.

I am looking at getting a 5th wheel (possibly Montana or comparable) for FT. I am familiar w this size and also a couple of bumper pulls, having spent stretches of 2-3 weeks in them. Also, my Dad goes FT most of the year at job sites contracting. That said, they are insistent that since I cook a lot and enjoy it, I should only get a 4 door or residential size refrigerator and the the 7 cu/ft would be way to small for me, and I agree that it would be too small.

That said, finding the 4 door in a pre-owned is rarer than hen's teeth. Has anyone found a solution for adding another large amount of refrigerator/freezer storage besides having a 4 door unit installed? I will rarely move and be a long term where I am looking at (possibly only once a year), so potability/of the grid isn't too important.

Thanks in advance for the answers and thoughts!!!
ATXtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I agree that you would definitely want a 4-door fridge, but I had no idea that they were so hard to find in a larger 5er! Sorry I can't offer suggestions on this problem.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #3

A quick search found this:

The Keystone Outback has taken the novel approach of locating two 8-cubic-foot RV refrigerators side by side. Each refrigerator can be controlled separately, so you can designate one for cold refreshments and the other for, say, meal items like produce, meats, and dairy products. If you do not need the entire 16-cubic-feet of storage, simply turn off one refrigerator. When not needed for cold storage, the second refrigerator makes a great pantry.

Quite a few years ago, friends of mine had a 5th wheel with two RV refrigerators also but I don't know who the manufacturer was. They loved the convenience of two....and often used them as described above.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:23 PM   #4

It should be about $2k to have a second Norcold put in, right? I was hoping for something less, maybe in the $1k range, but if that's hat I have to do, way it is. I am assuming a dealer can put it in for me...
Old 01-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #5
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
if you are going to the trouble and expense of putting in a second fridge, why not make it a residential fridge?
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
if you are going to the trouble and expense of putting in a second fridge, why not make it a residential fridge?
I agree, IMO, the residential unit is the way to go if you have the option or want to replace the existing one. Not only do they do a better job but they use, literally, 1/2 the electricity of the absorption type. Our electric bill where we spend the winter was in the $60-$70 range prior to buying our new Cedar Creek 5th wheel equipped with a 20cuft Whirlpool refrigerator. Average bill this year is $35-$45. Plus, we have an ice maker, filtered cold water dispenser and never need defrosting.
Only drawback is there is no power to fridge during an outage or when traveling. The absorptions units can also run on propane. A 1000 watt inverter or small generator will fix that. We have overnighted on several occasions with no external power for as long as three days. Fridge ran on inverter with no problems. Truck keeps batteries up when driving.
One tip if shopping for a residential unit to replace the RV fridge, check the dimensions carefully pay particular attention to the depth (front - back) measurement. A "counter depth" unit is what you will probably need.
Big price difference too!

Norcold Refrigerator with Ice Maker and Stainless Steel Wraparound Doors,12CF - Norcold 1210IMSS - Side-by-Side Refrigerators - Camping World

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpoo...RoCviMQAvD_BwE

Our trailer came with the Whirlpool model above.

Good luck.
8824rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #7

Thanks for the thought - I hadn't considered a residential setup. I got a quote from a dealer today on an approximate install cost (of course cost of the refrigerator is up to me...)
Old 01-15-2018, 05:56 AM   #8

Yep, I'd go residential. After doing it ourselves, we'd never go back to an absorption type. Plus you can also add a chest freezer in one of the storage bays as we did.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Yep, I'd go residential. After doing it ourselves, we'd never go back to an absorption type. Plus you can also add a chest freezer in one of the storage bays as we did.
Yep, RR is the only way to go. Keeps food fresher than absorption. Is considerably cheaper as to initial cost. The only real "downside" is it runs on 120v. So if you travel you need an inverter and decent battery bank. If you are staying put mostly that is not an issue.
If you decide on a rig that doesn't have a RR you could do the portable 12v fridge/freezers as additional space to store items.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #10
tcg

I don't have anything to add but your question reminded me of this.

I was in a campground once and a guy showed up with a big camper pulled by a big pickup truck. In the back of the pickup was a residential fridge.

Once he set up the camper he unloaded the fridge and plugged it in outside under the awning.

Worked for him.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:58 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
A residential refrigerator works well only if you go from RV park, to RV park. I'm a boondocker and I go 7 months without 120 AC power each year. There are other 12 volt options. This unit works on AC or DC power and can be a fridge or freezer. You can put in a storage bay or inside.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/domet...SABEgIldPD_BwE

This type unit can cool up to 38 degrees below the temperature around it and could be used for drinks and veggies -

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...CABEgJxWvD_BwE

I would suggest you wait until you are actually living in an RV to decide if you need more. At first I doubted that I could survive with a 6 cubic foot RV refrigerator, but I discovered I easily can. My lifestyle has changed along with how I cook and how much I cook at once. I don’t store bottled water and lots of soft drinks. I don’t buy frozen foods and veggies until I need them. I entertain much less. I don’t stock up on sale items.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:50 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
I installed a portable 12V/110V frig/freezer on a slide out in my basement and it works like a charm..... We LOVE it....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, refrigerator