Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Motorhome or 5th Wheel to Full Time?

We are preparing for my retirement, selling our home & full timing. And can't wait!
We are considering a new motorhome (DP) and recently are considering a 5th Wheel.
We currently have an 05 DSDP that has all of the stuff, but are deposing something newer. We are the original owners of the DSDP.
We had planned on purchasing a new truck for our adventures so moving up to one to tow a 5 is not that big of an issue.
Looking for opinions on either.
Ideas of a high quality 5th wheel? We know nothing about these products.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2015, 08:16 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
If I were you, I would keep the current coach for a couple of years. We do about 3/4 full time in an '02 and we are always looking but haven't found anything to trade for
Old 01-05-2015, 08:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I prefer the motor-coach with multiple slides for Full-Time RVing while traveling around North America. However, if and when the times comes where I cannot drive the coach any longer I would opt for one of the huge 5vers and park it someplace where it wouldn't need to be moved.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for your thoughts.
We are planning on spending time @ the Tampa show in a couple of weeks, and were planning on taking a hard look at both.
We go every year and after each show, we've found that we like our DSDP just fine.
But living in it 24-7-365 we wanted to look at options.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Field Trip View Post
We had planned on purchasing a new truck for our adventures so moving up to one to tow a 5 is not that big of an issue.
The truth is...one of you has been wanting a really big diesel truck to drive around for quite some time now, right?
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:34 AM   #6

We've been going to the Tampa show for the last three yrs. to look at motorhomes, not 5th wheelers. We'll be going again next week to pass some time. Every year we talk about getting another coach, but after looking at a number of them we always come away with the same thought.....why? Granted ours is almost 15yrs. old now, but with the custom paint, and all the mods we've done, plus it's paid for, we can't logically come up with a reason to get a new one. Plus the mods we have are pretty much what new coach's are offering as standard now anyway. Since we are fulltimers we prefer a motorhome for the convenience of having everything at hand when traveling without having to stop. Or not having to get out in bad weather to set up at a campground if overnighting. Now if we were destination travelers, say going from just one place to spend the winter, and another for the summer, then I might change my mind. But we move around quite a bit. So we'll stay with the motorhome.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:44 AM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Field Trip View Post
We are preparing for my retirement, selling our home & full timing. And can't wait!
We are considering a new motorhome (DP) and recently are considering a 5th Wheel.
We currently have an 05 DSDP that has all of the stuff, but are deposing something newer. We are the original owners of the DSDP.
Looking for opinions on either.
Ideas of a high quality 5th wheel? We know nothing about these products.
Both have advantages and disadvantages. Most people consider a motorhome to be more convenient when moving fairly frequently because they are easier to set up (although that is changing now that most higher-end 5th wheels have automatic hydraulic leveling), and they are more convenient for the passenger when on the road.

5th wheels, on the other hand, seem more home-like inside. They don't have an engine and running gear to maintain so they are better suited to sitting in one location for several weeks or months at a time.

We bought a motorhome when we started full-timing because we knew we would be moving frequently. It served us well and would do the same thing if we had to do it again. However, we have been full-timing for over 8 years and are beginning to slow down and stay longer at selected locations. Because of that, we are now in the process of switching to a 5th wheel. DW is especially looking forward to more kitchen counter space and more interior storage space.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
I just moved out of a 5er into an 40' DP. I agree with all above that if you are moving around a lot a MH is better. We owned a Forest River Cedar Creek 37' four slide model and the quality of that fifth wheeler was great. We had very little problems with the trailer and it gave us some great times. You say you are about to trade in your 05 for a new MH. Be careful, all of the new MH are going to have problems. Just read some of the threads on this site. It is incredible on how many problems people have. You are at a great advantage because you have already got your MH working fine and if you are not having any major problems I would probably keep what I got. I know you may want to upgrade to new and if you are going out full timing after many years of working, you should do what the heck you want. Just be prepared for some bumps in the road on a new unit.
Again, if you are looking for suggestions on fifth wheel units, look into anything Forest River builds, look at their high end models. I was quite impressed with their quality control
Good luck, see ya out there
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:44 PM   #9

I chose a dp for 2 reasons.

1. My wife can use the toilet without stopping
2. I didn't want a truck for a driver.

My friend just traded his 5er & F550 for a new dp and love the ease of setting up. Also, they now have a Jeep Patriot toad w/ manual and love driving it around after that big truck.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:55 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Motorhome would be my thought.

Easy to set up / tear down
Not honking big truck to drive around
Facilities readily available when traveling
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:17 PM   #11

We were very close to buying a fiver, but then thought long and hard about our frequent traveling and went for a DP. Although we spend 5 months in Texas in the winter, we travel during all the other months. We love the easy set-up and take down; easily fixing meals and conveniently using the rest room. Both of us took driving lessons so we could safely drive the rig. Full-timing x 4 years and loving it!
sandiern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #12

Moving from a 40' motorhome to a BIG 5th wheel will necessitate you having a BIG truck to pull it.

When we started full-timing we had a 33' 5th wheel which we loved but we hated driving the diesel truck around town.

Friends got us interested in Jeeping so after 8 years we bought the 40' motorhome towing a Jeep. We had a blast traveling on the backroads. It gave us a lot of fun. We were glad to rid ourselves of the big truck.

Something to think about. Either type is great for full-timing. It just depends on you.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:34 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I prefer the motor-coach with multiple slides for Full-Time RVing while traveling around North America. However, if and when the times comes where I cannot drive the coach any longer I would opt for one of the huge 5vers and park it someplace where it wouldn't need to be moved.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

X2!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Why is a MH easier to set up? My fiver has all automatic stuff. I pull one handle to disconnect. My sewer hose is always attached in a swing out storage tube. My water hose and 50 amp cord is the same as a MH. Automatic satellite. Appliances are the same as a MH. My fiver has a minus 10 degree freeze guarantee. My preference is a fiver for these reasons as well as better mileage, less maintenance and repair cost, easier to heat and cool, less cost per square foot of living space. But I have in some very elegant MoHo's.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, full time, motorhome