Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Moving Fast and Getting Excited!!!

Hi All !
So, going FT and getting to travel around the country was something we've talked about many times...and then at the end of August made our decision to just "Do It".... We have been camping for over twenty years from tent, to pop up to 19' ft TT, then 29' TT...
So we had a list of things to accomplish first...tell friends & family (really...in that order), upgrade truck, upgrade camper, sell house & get remote job (for me)....and somewhere in all of that sell everything we own...hahaha....on a time line of one year...to be out on the road by next October.
Well, in just two & a half months we have accomplished just about all of it !! We are waiting for a closing date on our house and I just got offered a remote job (actually two offers...)! Everything seems to just be falling into place...and FAST!! (almost too good to be true, right?)
We are happy and excited and at the same time it is all feeling a bit surreal.... OK...sorry for rambling but I am bursting right now & just had to share
Thanks all for ...well...just listening.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Way to go. It happened for us like that, but I'M glad we did it.
And been doing it for over a year.
Happy trails. Remote job sounds good..
Old 12-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It came together very fast for me too. I hit the road exactly 3 weeks after picking up my RV and 2 and half weeks after trading my SUV on a Jeep.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #4

Congrats, LabbieLover, I'm happy to hear it went so well for you.

We plan on making the move to full-timing sometime between April and August next year. DW is overwhelmed with the idea - she looks at the entire picture and how to accomplish everything, while I break it down to bite-size pieces. I think we can be ready to do this by June 1 but am not telling her this - she would literally fall apart.

Safe travels,

Jim
Old 12-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Congratulations. Keep posting, we like sharing your excitement.

We also planned on one year. The house sold 8 days after it was placed on the marlet, full price offer. We only had 20 days to get out! It was a blur but worth every second of it.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Woowww very exciting, a simple warning !!!! We did the same thing a few years ago, sold everything, house, furniture, pots and pan,.... we had a wonderfull first year, traveling all over the contry and spending like if we were on vacation, we did the exact opposite then what we had planed, so we soon run out of money, and by the time that we realised that Fulltimer should not live like if you are on summer vacation, it was too late, I had to return to stick and stone house and back to a regular job, one other very important point make sure your RV has plenty room, our 29 fts Winnebago was much to small for fulltiming.
Last thing I want to do would be discourage you, on the contrary follow your dream and go for it, just be carefull with your money, make a budget and stick to it,
We are now part-timer a little more the 6 months a year and hopefully soon we will return as Fulltimer
Old 12-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamvir View Post
Congrats, LabbieLover, I'm happy to hear it went so well for you.

We plan on making the move to full-timing sometime between April and August next year. DW is overwhelmed with the idea - she looks at the entire picture and how to accomplish everything, while I break it down to bite-size pieces. I think we can be ready to do this by June 1 but am not telling her this - she would literally fall apart.

Safe travels,

Jim
Like they say "how do you eat an elephant?" Answer- " one bite at a time!". Good luck
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #8

Congrats! We'd planned on a year for the house to sell (in 19 hours we had multiple offers & sold well above asking), so our schedule was also put on the fast track. If you're both ready, you're both ready to get into the lifestyle. Have fun!!
Old 12-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Awesome. Our plan is going pretty fast too. Sold house even though it was not for sale. Moved into motorhome. We are still working until Independence Day, 4th of July. I figure that will be a good time to be independent of jobs and being stuck in one spot. I agree, we need to pace ourselves on the road so we don't get burned out.

Have fun
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #10

We rented our house out after 3 days and sold everything at an estate sale. When we had decided we were going to go full time we traded our 28 ft for a 40 ft in order to be able to store everything you need to live full time in a MH. We have been on the road for six months now and are learning new thing every day. You don't realize what a great country we live in until you spend time in different states and towns.
2floridanomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2floridanomads View Post
We rented our house out after 3 days and sold everything at an estate sale. When we had decided we were going to go full time we traded our 28 ft for a 40 ft in order to be able to store everything you need to live full time in a MH. We have been on the road for six months now and are learning new thing every day. You don't realize what a great country we live in until you spend time in different states and towns.
AMEN!! What a fabulous country we live in.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Thanks All for the well wishes! So glad to hear that others have had similar experiences...and are still enjoying the open road. We had already been planning on upgrading truck & camper...so knowing what we really wanted definitely helped. Then it just seemed like everything kept falling into place....
We had a 29' TT (Crossroads Zinger) and traded it in for a 37' Montana High Country 5th Wheel. More room, more storage and more of an open floor plan - perfect for Da' Boyz
My husband is retired from the Military and I will still be working..so it won't be a crazy, extended vacation...and we will still have to watch our budget. But, work hours are flexible and we have never lived beyond our means.
We are having a mild winter here and it is giving us the chance to get even more done than if we were buried under tons of snow..... (which neither of us will miss!) So now we are really pushing For April/May.
Can't to finally see this country that we have dedicated 24 years of our life to is more than exciting! Maybe we'll catch some of yous on the road )