Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:53 AM   #1

Narcotic prescriptions

We are planing a trip to Florida next year and are from Canada. We plan on being in the U.S. for 6 months. Is there a monthly limit as to the amount of narcotic prescription's your allowed to carry? Our doctor here will give us the prescription for 6 months. Can I carry all six months at a time? Or can I get it shipped down to me by courier?

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 11:20 AM   #2

You might want to check with customs for their ruling. There are many regulations of what can or cannot be brought across. It's the same for us crossing into Canada.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
From the Customs & Border Patrol web site: Prohibited and Restricted Items | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Quote:
Rule of thumb: When you go abroad, take the medicines you will need, no more, no less. Narcotics and certain other drugs with a high potential for abuse - Rohypnol, GHB and Fen-Phen, to name a few - may not be brought into the United States, and there are severe penalties for trying to do so. If you need medicines that contain potentially addictive drugs or narcotics (e.g., some cough medicines, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, antidepressants or stimulants), do the following:

Declare all drugs, medicinals, and similar products to the appropriate CBP official;
Carry such substances in their original containers;
Carry only the quantity of such substances that a person with that condition (e.g., chronic pain) would normally carry for his/her personal use; and
Carry a prescription or written statement from your physician that the substances are being used under a doctor's supervision and that they are necessary for your physical well being while traveling.
U.S. residents entering the United States at international land borders who are carrying a validly obtained controlled substance (other than narcotics such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin, or LSD), are subject to certain additional requirements. If a U.S. resident wants to bring in a controlled substance (other than narcotics such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin, or LSD) but does not have a prescription for the substance issued by a U.S.-licensed practitioner (e.g., physician, dentist, etc.) who is registered with, and authorized by, the Drug Enforcement Administration to prescribe the medication, the individual may not import more than 50 dosage units of the medication into the United States. If the U.S. resident has a prescription for the controlled substance issued by a DEA registrant, more than 50 dosage units may be imported by that person, provided all other legal requirements are met.

Please note that only medications that can be legally prescribed in the United States may be imported for personal use. Be aware that possession of certain substances may also violate state laws. As a general rule, the FDA does not allow the importation of prescription drugs that were purchased outside the United States. Please see their Web site for information about the enforcement policy for personal use quantities.

Warning: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration prohibits the importation, by mail or in person, of fraudulent prescription and nonprescription drugs and medical devices. These include unorthodox "cures" for such medical conditions as cancer, AIDS, arthritis or multiple sclerosis. Although such drugs or devices may be legal elsewhere, if the FDA has not approved them for use in the United States, they may not legally enter the country and will be confiscated, even if they were obtained under a foreign physician's prescription.

Additional information about traveling with and importing medication can be found at the FDA's Drugs page.

The FDA is responsible for pharmaceutical admissibility determinations. If you have any questions as to whether a specific pharmaceutical may be imported into the United States, please contact the FDA, Division of Import Operations and Policy, at (301) 796-0356.

If you have any questions regarding the importation of a controlled substance into the United States, please contact the Drug Enforcement Administration, Office of Diversion Control, International Drug Unit, at (202) 305-8800.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:33 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The law in Georgia is keep your medications in their original containers showing the prescription.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
While it is technically illegal to import prescription drugs into the U.S., the Justice Department has stated that they will not charge anyone for doing so provided the drug was prescribed by their doctor and is not more than a 90 day supply.

Buying Prescription Drugs From Canada: Legal or Illegal? | ElderLawAnswers
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #6

There's a difference in a U.S. citizen buying Canadian drugs.

The OP is a Canadian wanting to bring narcotic prescription drugs into the U.S.

Barbarok's search gives the best information but I'd advice the OP to delve a little more with the Canadian customs since he needs to bring narcotic drugs into the U.S., especially how much he can bring.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:52 AM   #7

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm sure it will be helpful. I'm wondering if I go to a Walmart or a Costco if I drop the prescription here before we leave if I can get it filled in the U.S. since it is the same chain in both countries.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm sure it will be helpful. I'm wondering if I go to a Walmart or a Costco if I drop the prescription here before we leave if I can get it filled in the U.S. since it is the same chain in both countries.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
Don't think so - not for what we call Scheduled drugs (pain killers, etc.)

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #9

If you are considering having the prescription filled, even in part, in the USA have your Canadian physician contact a USA physician at your destination and have the physician send a brief medical history and letter of introduction. Probably a good idea in any case to facility any form of emergency care. Your Canadian prescription will be useless in the USA. You would have to take it to an Urgent Care or a local physician to re-establish the medical care. It is probable that a new physician, fearful of current enforcement of drug laws by the DEA, will write for no more than 30 days.
Good Luck, retired pharmacist.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr