Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #1

Need advice on getting routine medical care

We thought we had this figured out but turns out we really did not....

Original plan:
Sold house in SW Florida and went FT. We had been going to a nearby RV park every July for many, many years. The plan was to keep this and visit the doctor/dentist for our annual visits while at the RV park. This way we could avoid hassles with starting over etc.

Current situation:
We are at the RV park now and it was a huge PITA coming all the way here essentially just so we could visit the same doctor and dentist we had been seeing for years. For various reasons we really don't want to return to this RV park anymore.

We went FT so we could explore the country and really don't want to have to plan an annual trip to Florida. It is a long ways to the southern part of the state.

The dilemma here is how to handle the annual checkup, blood work, prescription renewal etc. We don't have a home base and don't know where we will wind up. We want to explore ideas while we FT.

Wife's idea-and I don't really have a better one-is to establish a physician near Chicago where our only kid lives. It would not be permanent as we know we will not be living in Chicago permanently. We could visit her and her husband (no kids) when we go for the medical visit. The other little twist to this is there are no FHU campgrounds that can easily handle a big rig nearby.

We are on my prior employer's insurance which is nationwide.

Ideas?
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 09:00 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can get a physical where ever you are. With electronic medical records and patient portals the way they are these days, you may even find local doctors who, on your say-so, already have access to your medical records. If not, it's fairly easy to get them from each visit and supply your own.

If you want to keep your own doctor but need blood work, Quest Diagnostics has about 2000 labs around the country where you can walk in for a blood draw. Simply tell your doctor the contact info for the Quest lab where you are and he/she can place the order for what is needed.

As for prescriptions... so long as you're not taking narcotics, Sam's Club Pharmacies will take care of you where ever you are. By the way... no membership needed for their pharmacies. But, if you have the Plus membership ($100 per year, I believe) many of your prescriptions are dirt cheap, compared to full price. My wife and I saved more than the membership fee in the first month!

Of course, if you're using insurance, some of the above is not quite so easy... but there are still some tidbits that you should find useful.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #3

We have been fulltime for six years. The first two, my doctor in Denver wrote a year long prescription and then I went to Labcorp for blood work and got another year. Since then, I have gone to health clinics where ever we were. I explain the situation and get a year of prescriptions.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #4

I'm in central FL. My plan is very simple as I like and TRUST my current doc. Fly in once a year for a few days or weeks (should I not want to be wintering in FL with the RV). Treat it as a vacation . See the doc, dentist, get any test necessary before hand (these can be done anywhere before hand), see old friends and visit places I really like in FL (did someone say EPCOT, Disney and great FL weather in the winter????)
Already discussed this with the doc and 100% for it. They are happy to work with me and around my plans. Now that is health care if you ask me.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:24 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are similar to Computerguy - will fly in for doctors/dentists whose skills/experience cannot be replaced elsewhere in the country. I have a rare condition that most facilities can not handle. Unfortunately, my doctor is in Cleveland, but you gotta do what you must.

I have to go in 2x per year, DH probably once. Flying/hotel is more economical than driving the rig across the country.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #6

Wow! Had not really considered flying in for a routine physical. Wouldn't be practical as we would have to do it one at a time due to having pets.

Current doc will write scripts for a year and we get them filled at Walgreens wherever we are. That system is working it is just the annual face to face relationship we need in order to get a checkup and scripts renewed.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Wow! Had not really considered flying in for a routine physical. Wouldn't be practical as we would have to do it one at a time due to having pets.
We are flying one at a time due to the precious dog :-) My physicals aren't entirely routine, but my DH's are more so...

I have been using Walmart for RX, but recently changed health insurance and hope to get 3-6 months of each medication mail-order shipped to me. Will see how that works out!

- CC
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:10 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
For 9 years we routed our travels so that we went to Texas in the fall, spent a couple of weeks in Tyler visiting physician/dentist/vet getting us all poked and prodded. Then went on to Dallas to spend time with our kids before heading for Arizona. But as we realized that we really liked the Mesa area for the winter, we found new physicians here and have the luxury of time on our side for annual checkups. And at our age (over 70) these checkups take longer and we adjust accordingly to make sure we still can get out and go come summer. While you can get away with a 1-2 week for checkups in your 50s, if you have problems rear their heads as you age, in your 70s you will need more time.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
For 9 years we routed our travels so that we went to Texas in the fall, spent a couple of weeks in Tyler visiting physician/dentist/vet getting us all poked and prodded. Then went on to Dallas to spend time with our kids before heading for Arizona. But as we realized that we really liked the Mesa area for the winter, we found new physicians here and have the luxury of time on our side for annual checkups. And at our age (over 70) these checkups take longer and we adjust accordingly to make sure we still can get out and go come summer. While you can get away with a 1-2 week for checkups in your 50s, if you have problems rear their heads as you age, in your 70s you will need more time.
That is a very good point.

We are in our 50s now and need to consider we may not always get quick checkups...
Old 07-25-2017, 06:47 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As I am currently laying in a hospital bed ...

We have found value in swinging through our old "Home" area for our annual medical checkups. We are in central IL so that kinda works out for us.

There is something to be said for a home medical base to work with medical facilities that you are familiar with and you have a history with.

Twice in 4 years I've had something major occur and was able to be back here for complete care. I'm currently working through some wonky heart tests. My point is not to collect a lot of well wishes but to suggest the value of maintaining a central point of care.

Outside of that, Sandee and I use Walgreens through out the rest of our travels for prescription needs and our medical folks are aware of our travels. We also find we get some help with them in getting us in and out without excessive delays for any additional appointments that might become needed. Quest diagnostics is also our go-to source for most medical tests.

We have regularly seen medical/dental providers while on the road and make sure those records are forwarded back to "home" also. In one case we had a phone consultation with our primary care back home.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:16 PM   #11

Do you winter over somewhere? That is where we see doctors. I even had a fake knee installed in 2016 while full time traveling in our RV. Home health and home PT came right to the RV for my post surgery treatment. I did have to stay in the area long enough to complete my out patient PT. Really, if it just routine stuff like maintenance prescription renewal, you can do that anywhere. I have had treatment for minor medical issues all over the country from Alaska to Texas.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice