Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #1

Need Help / Advice

I am very interested in Full Time RV living. what advice can you give me on selecting a unit. it is just me. i am looking to shed the confines of a home to move to a rv park with awesome amenities. i really look forward to having the ability to pick and move if i chose to without being tied to a home i have to sell. I have just joined here. i was in rv.net and asked a similar question on what is a good unit for a first purchase. i live in Mississippi and i am very concerned about the unit getting to hot. i do not have a tow vehicle as of yet but i do have a way to get it from point a to point b. i have seen the Northwood Manufacturing, Lance, Open Range, Outdoors RV and Excel all look great but i have a budget of about 30k. My biggest fear is not getting a good unit and having to fight repairs and leaks. i don't know much about construction but i am trying to learn. Should i go 5th wheel or Travel Trailer? New or used and if used how old of a unit? i am willing to forgo size to get quality but it has to have closets and porcelain toilet. picky i know. A tv watching area would be nice. Any suggestions you can give to a want a be full timer.
thelostone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to IRV2!

Being a single female I chose a new motorhome. I feel safer being able to drive away from trouble in the middle of the night without having to go outside, if the need arises.

I did not buy a high quality unit designed for fulltiming and we have lived in it some 740 days. Other than some minor cosmetic wear, it functions like new. The only thing replaced has been the vent dome lids taken out by an Oklahoma hail storm last month. At $20 each for the unbreakable type, that's cheap compared to house repairs.

I went RV shopping with a friend and was really impressed with the quality in the Winnebagos he was looking at. Double pane windows was one nice option. They helped with sound and climate control.

You might find the RV parks you like first and then buy according to their requirements. Some high end resorts require a Class A motorhome that is newer than 2003. I rarely stay in campgrounds and spend that $ on gas so that I can travel more.

What I know now that I didn't when I bought mine is that getting the
right floorplan is top priority. You can change a lot, but you can't move the furniture around.

Good luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
PS - mine came with a porcelain toilet, but a tiny closet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:54 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would also look at mid range (size) motor homes as an alternative to TT or 5er. Something in the 30 to 35 foot range. In that size MH there are many alternatives including both gas and diesel power plants. If you find something 5 or 6 years old, the major depreciation has already taken place.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #5

Budget of 30k for both the TV and the unit? Or 30k for the unit?

If the 30k is for both I would buy a 1/2 ton pick-up truck and a TT. I would probably split 15k for truck and 15k for used TT with some flexibility either way. I would find a floorplan that works. If going FT you will want to blend quality with size and storage space. For 15k you can buy a trailer on a dealers lot with an asking price of 18 to 20k.

If 30k is just for the trailer I really like the Keystone Vantage trailers that are being closed out. For low 20's I would buy a Vantage 29RLS.

30k does not buy you a very good motorhome.

A 5th wheel would be good but again more costly for both the unit and TV. 30k probably is not enough for both the 5th wheel and TV.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:27 AM   #6

I would suggest you look into this rv club: Escapees RV Club
They pretty much cater to full timers and it in my humble opinion (FWTW) is a good organization.

Another RV club you might want to look into is: http://www.lonersonwheels.com/
Old 06-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #7

What I got from your post indicates that you do not really want to be a full time RV'ing type person, but just want a more inexpensive way of living. I'd suggest a "Park" model, they are closer to the amenities of a stick house, but are movable if and when that need arises.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote