Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2017, 11:04 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
We called Polk Co. and they verified the answers above. They told us it wouldn't be a problem........they let us know that our plan was sound.

They told us what I already figured.......

........Looks like we're good to go. It's all a bit terrifying. We don't want to fly down and screw things up. We won't but the nagging fear is there

Nagging fear? Take a Valium! You got good advice, verified with a primary source. Besides, it's Texas! The folks are nice, and life is not worth getting excited over. If some form is off, or some additional info is needed, they'll just take care of it.
We stopped in Livingston about four years ago to make our changover. Stayed a couple of weeks enjoying ourselves. Everything will be fine.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Nagging fear? Take a Valium! You got good advice, verified with a primary source. Besides, it's Texas! The folks are nice, and life is not worth getting excited over. If some form is off, or some additional info is needed, they'll just take care of it.
We stopped in Livingston about four years ago to make our changover. Stayed a couple of weeks enjoying ourselves. Everything will be fine.
Seriously, it's just the usual trepidation that comes with any major life change. We're good and we're looking forward to it. But thanks for the encouraging words.

Besides, I've had Valium. It makes me angry and agitated rather than relaxed. I'll stick to scotch and ice cream
Old 10-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
I was going to switch my address to Texas and get my license and found out that it was going to cost me over 800.00 bucks to get my truck 5th wheel and drivers license. I couldn't get the license till i had my truck and trailer licensed in Texas. I pay 5 year tags in the Az. state. Truck and trailer cost about 150! My license is 25.00 for 5 years. So right now i am good for 5 years before i need to go back to Az to get things done again. No inspections, no emission testing and i have my mail forwarding address on the tags and license. Thats a Florida address threw Good Sam Mail Forwarding. Az is one of the best home states for rv'ers. Just not really checked out. Sometimes i go back there and spend a few months but most times i am just..on the road. Only thing i wish is they would have a Mail forwarding place there in Az.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #18

We just bought ours in Tex.
We live in Ok. Everything like the tags were done in Tx. by phone. When I get back, I had to go to a tag agent to get "Vin Verified", just another $4.00.

Found out I was paying penalties for everything.
Even interest on the penalty late charges.
Ok. has low taxes, But, They tax everything. Food & medicine as well.
staggerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #19
RV LIFE Support Team

We just switched to TX. 2002 Toyota Sienna, 2015 winnebago MH and a 2013 Honda, $575, $270 of this being new registration fee. DL for the two of us $53.

We lightly looked into AZ and the have a tax on the original retail price of the cars and MH. xI guess kind of like a personal property tax that other states have, AZ just calls it the registration fee. That stopped us without a 2nd thought.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:40 AM   #20
RV LIFE Support Team

We just became Texans and registered our Toyota which we didn't have with us. No problem at all. Polk County has this down pat and are very helpful.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 10-20-2017, 10:34 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby Dan View Post
I was going to switch my address to Texas and get my license and found out that it was going to cost me over 800.00 bucks to get my truck 5th wheel and drivers license. I couldn't get the license till i had my truck and trailer licensed in Texas. I pay 5 year tags in the Az. state. Truck and trailer cost about 150! My license is 25.00 for 5 years. So right now i am good for 5 years before i need to go back to Az to get things done again. No inspections, no emission testing and i have my mail forwarding address on the tags and license. Thats a Florida address threw Good Sam Mail Forwarding. Az is one of the best home states for rv'ers. Just not really checked out. Sometimes i go back there and spend a few months but most times i am just..on the road. Only thing i wish is they would have a Mail forwarding place there in Az.
Something isn't correct. $800 to register? How did you get that figure?
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #22

Since I started this thread, I'll update everyone on what we found. It was amazingly easy. We got the packet to register the motorhome by mail. Registering the Jeep took ten minutes. Getting our drivers licenses took an hour and a half. I suspect the wait times are higher around Livingston since that office and the Woodville offices are closed due to the hurricane. But no hassles at either the tax of DL offices. We read the website, had all the proper documents and everything went smoothly.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #23
RV LIFE Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby Dan View Post
Doesn't AZ have an income tax also? If you change your domicile to TX you save that also................

RV LIFE Support Team