Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by go4dsnow View Post
I guess SD is no longer an option for FT then. It won't take long for people to figure that out. That being said I still think the option of having a lease with a friend or relative may be the best option all around. The problem with insurance is they usually figure things out. If for some reason they don't want to cover FT then we're probably screwed in the near future.

For Medicare there are still plenty of options in SD. For pre-Medicare there are really no good options left (except a few off-exchange v.expensive options). So, yes for pre-Medicare fulltime RVers specifically, SD is really not an option anymore. We'll see if anything new pops up on the exchange in Nov open enrollment, but I'm not holding my breath.

Having a "fixed" stix and brix address for insurance definitely makes things easier, but if you don't actually live there you run the risk of insurance fraud. It can become real tricky especially if your phone/bills/registration/drivers license etc. are not all at the same address. We have family in FL, but have never used their address for this reason.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #72

We too are residents of SD, but I have WellMark ins that Kyle helped me secure. So far they have not had any issue with my going to my regular doctors in NC, and getting prescriptions filled in TX. It may be a fluke, or they haven't caught me yet. I will say though, that I didn't qualify for any of the subsidies. I picked the silver plan, costs around $300 a month.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:58 PM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
We too are residents of SD, but I have WellMark ins that Kyle helped me secure. So far they have not had any issue with my going to my regular doctors in NC, and getting prescriptions filled in TX. It may be a fluke, or they haven't caught me yet. I will say though, that I didn't qualify for any of the subsidies. I picked the silver plan, costs around $300 a month.

I've heard a few RVers were able to get in with WellMark. I have one buddy who got in without a problem and then several others who were rejected (= required to provide proof of 6-month in state). It seems to be a bit of a fluke and Kyle told me the same thing. I'm not entirely confident with trying again (we were rejected before), but I'm glad it's working out for you.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:17 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
We have legal domicile which allows us to vote, bank, etc. domicile is legal! We just don't have residence. This is true of many, many fulltime RVers. In FL and TX domicile is entirely sufficient for health insurance. In SD it is not (anymore). That is why I started this thread.
Too bad all states don't share the same requirements. The legal definition of Domicile requires residency. It seems some states separate the two. I know in my military days I could maintain domicile without residency for the time the military assigned me to locations outside the state. I believe that is part of the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act.

Florida requires proof residency to be a Florida resident. The best I can tell, Florida domicile requires Florida residency. http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal....aspx?tabid=38

It's too bad that those that travel and don't have a permanent residence can't simply get coverage as an American. I wonder what U.S. citizens do that have elected to spend a few years overseas.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We recently completed our SD absentee ballots. One of the issues on the ballet was a proposal to force insurers to include all medical providers that were capable of providing covered services in their coverage rather than restricting coverage to their narrow approved networks. I do not know how this might affect coverage for those of us seeking services outside of the state of SD, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
No options left for pre-Medicare health insurance in SD for fulltime RVers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
Too bad all states don't share the same requirements. The legal definition of Domicile requires residency. It seems some states separate the two. I know in my military days I could maintain domicile without residency for the time the military assigned me to locations outside the state. I believe that is part of the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act.

Florida requires proof residency to be a Florida resident. The best I can tell, Florida domicile requires Florida residency. http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal....aspx?tabid=38

It's too bad that those that travel and don't have a permanent residence can't simply get coverage as an American. I wonder what U.S. citizens do that have elected to spend a few years overseas.

In FL you can domicile without residency. We have many fulltime RV buddies who do exactly that. There are also, coincidently, many fulltime sailors who do the same thing. FL is a popular fulltimers state. There are several mail forwarders that can give you a domicile address in FL so you can register, vote, get health insurance etc.

Now there is a detail regarding domicile and "intent" which is a grey area. In order to domicile you are supposed that have the intent to make that state a permanent and fixed home sometime in the future. What exactly does this entail? That's where you enter grey area. Each state you domicile usually requires you to sign some kind of intent letter, but they are rarely enforced (never heard of this happening to an RVer).

If you live abroad you typically forgo US health insurance and simply get insurance in the country you're living it. Or, if you happen to be working for a US company (e.g. As an expat) you may get insurance through them (which may or may not be US-based with coverage for overseas too). At least that's my personal experience having lived abroad.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
I've heard a few RVers were able to get in with WellMark. I have one buddy who got in without a problem and then several others who were rejected (= required to provide proof of 6-month in state). It seems to be a bit of a fluke and Kyle told me the same thing. I'm not entirely confident with trying again (we were rejected before), but I'm glad it's working out for you.
Approximately 3 months ago we tried to sign up for insurance with Wellmark, (Blue Cross Blue Shield of SD & IA). I foolishly mentioned that we would be full-timing. They would not issue a policy unless we could prove we were in SD for a minimum of 6-months per year. I contacted the SD Attorney General's office and got an official investigation started. The end result is that Wellmark is in compliance with SD law and it was our problem to find other insurance.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
No options left for pre-Medicare health insurance in SD for fulltime RVers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB-One View Post
Approximately 3 months ago we tried to sign up for insurance with Wellmark, (Blue Cross Blue Shield of SD & IA). I foolishly mentioned that we would be full-timing. They would not issue a policy unless we could prove we were in SD for a minimum of 6-months per year. I contacted the SD Attorney General's office and got an official investigation started. The end result is that Wellmark is in compliance with SD law and it was our problem to find other insurance.
Sadly I'm not surprised. WellMark is known to actively reject fulltime RVers. The ones I know who've gotten in are not telling them they are fulltimers and are "slipping" into the system. I'm not personally comfortable with that at all. I would hate to get the insurance, have something major happen down the line and THEN have WellMark figure out I'm a fulltime RVer and reject my claim. That would be the worst possible outcome. So, for that reason we've never re-applied to BCBS in SD since we were rejected many years ago.

Unfortunately the vast majority of health insurance companies in SD have that same 6-month in-state rule. This includes ALL the companies currently on the SD exchange. Not good for fulltime RVers.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #79

Wellmark has the same policy for Medicare too.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #80

We are in the Pre 65 SD mix too. I turn 62 early next year, but the DW has 9 years to go... So this is a long time problem for us. In other threads, here and on other forums, I've shared that for 2014 we stayed with my former companies Retiree Health Care Plan. It was a big impact to our budget, eating up a very large portion of the yearly contingency funds we baked into our retirement budget. Currently, if I leave the Retiree Health Care Plan, we can never go back into it.

I plan to see what the 2015 options/costs are for the Retiree Health Care Plan, and then work with Kyle for what the 2015 costs would be for the non exchange plan mentioned by Nina - the only game in SD town! Then the DW will know if we need to do a late in the year travel to Texas or Florida (IMO, the only two other viable states for Full Timers) to change domiciles. And all the other costs associated with such a move. (Trusts, registrations, etc.).

It is what it is, and while we don't believe it fair to penalize those Pre 65 individuals that have done what was needed to be able to retire. We sure as heck don't see anyone caring enough to go fight the fight and change the laws. We are just too small of a voting block to be heard...

We'll adapt and move on as needed!
Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #81

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
It is what it is, and while we don't believe it fair to penalize those Pre 65 individuals that have done what was needed to be able to retire. We sure as heck don't see anyone caring enough to go fight the fight and change the laws. We are just too small of a voting block to be heard...
In what way to do feel you're being penalized? It's my experience that the ACA plans are (in many cases) way better than the individual policies available pre-ACA.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
In what way to do feel you're being penalized? It's my experience that the ACA plans are (in many cases) way better than the individual policies available pre-ACA.

> Quotes for a good quality SD Health Care plan for 2012 (Info gathered at the end of 2011 as part of our What if - can we do it? retirement planning.) were between $480-540 range for the two of us.
> My companies Group Retirement Plan for 2012, the only plan offered and a good one, would have been $750+ (Can't recall the exact number, but $750 something.)
> In Rapid City Area (Americas Mailbox) the 2014 ACA Exchange offered 'zero' true PPO plans for Full Timers. (Nada!)
> My companies Group Retirement Plan, still thru BCBS of North Carolina, went up to $1300 per month. For less coverage, and higher deductibles, while still being a PPO.

As you just read in this full thread, now SD looks like it will still have no PPO plans available for Full Timers.

So this is how I figure we were penalized in 2014 by between $10-11K. (I used the higher SD Insurance Quotes for 2012 of $540, bumped up by over 10% and rounded off at $625 per month. I subtracted what that would have costs from what the ACA impacted costs of my Companies Group Retirement Plan + Higher Deductible is costing us. (No vision, and very low copay on office visits and drugs were in this calculation.)

And honoring the spirit of this board, and Nina's honest request to not go down the rabbit hole of blame game - I'll stop here...

I personally don't want ACA scrapped. But I have said since it was passed, I want our representatives, to roll up their sleeves and start fixing many of the inequalities of the current law as is. I feel we should all have some skin in the game, but I don't want my back peeled while so many are not losing any skin at all!

I remain hopeful, as well as send periodic emails to my representatives of what I want them to do for me/us as they 'represent'... Hope all of you are as well, whatever it is you feel, let them know it!

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 10-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #83

Newmar Owners Club
Comparing an ACA plan (or pre-ACA individual plan) to any kind of group coverage (Group Retirement plan) is a non-starter. What's interesting is that your group plan went up so much. Are you sure you're not comparing costs for COBRA and post-COBRA plans?
Old 10-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Comparing an ACA plan (or pre-ACA individual plan) to any kind of group coverage (Group Retirement plan) is a non-starter. What's interesting is that your group plan went up so much. Are you sure you're not comparing costs for COBRA and post-COBRA plans?

Not COBRA. We are fortunate to still have a plan. Remember that hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of long time retirees llost any kind of Group Retirement Plan, fully covered or subsidized, due to the new tax laws to larger companies who offered this. Yep, part of ACA too. Pre 65 are impacted by this quite a bit, with many having to go back to work to cover higher health care costs to replace plans either no longer offered, or like this company plan, higher costs to the individual covered. Some, like MMM, are providing some funds to a Health Care Fund (I assume HSA?) for retirees to use towards Health Insurance.

Retiree health benefits: Facing extinction? - MarketWatch

Many here the great stories of people now being covered that had no coverage before. In California, tax payers even pay for a nice commercial with a few examples. Can't recall any commercials about those that need to go back to work, or the impact to so many others wallets, on the other end of this spectrum?

Fingers crossed that 2015 will be the year of action on refinement and better balancing of the costs of this law.

Until then, face reality if you are in the bucket of those people impacted. Make your best decision, and move on...

Smitty

Tags
fulltime, insurance