Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2021, 10:32 PM   #1

Now somewhere in the black mining hills of Dakota There lived.

"A young boy named rocky
racoon"
Here we are in hermosa.
pennington county sd.
We sold our sticks and bricks
and carted whats left in our 11
yr old TT. Two Bassetts a sort of
new truck,(ram diesel dually)
A wind storm took our tv antenna last night. But we still get 10 ch.
We want to become residents
of this fine state. We hear its
fairly simple. Yet A bit daunting.
Any tips would be helpful.
Weve put a deposit on a new
more suitable camper.
But we want to do this domicile
thing first.. I have this residency
affidavit. suitable id to show
who we are. And was just wondering how you all went about this and any insights on
how do be efficient about it.
thx in advance.
Also we want to stay on blm land.
while here in sd. Do we need a permit.
and where can we get one bella rouge (sp)??
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2021, 10:41 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
It is quite easy. Although we used Escapees for our mailbox there are other options too like Americas Mailbox.

The registration of the vehicles was very easy. Just went to Pennington County office with the title and old registration.

Getting the drivers license and voter registration was also easy. With COVID we had to schedule an appointment but even that was easy. We did need a mailbox (PMB), we needed to provide our last drivers license. We had to provide proof of residency (a receipt from one night at a campground worked for us). If I recall, there were a couple other small things that I don't fully remember. It is all on their website and it sounds like you've checked that our already.

In summary, it is easier than you think.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:54 AM   #3

BLM land - there's not a ton of it in SD, but there is some, and it does have dispersed camping areas in it. No permit needed, limited to 16 day stays. The BLM office in Belle Fourche can give you the particulars.

- 605-892-7000

There's also National Forest Service land dispersed camping available in the area. Check with the NFS headquarters in the various forest areas for maps of dispersed camping areas on their Motor Vehicle Use maps. These are also available on line, on the NFS websites for the individual areas.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/bla...25823&actid=34

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd693956.pdf

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd693959.pdf

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:08 PM   #4

there is this residency affidavit
that must be filled out.
it asks a question..something
like "when done traveling will you
be returning to south dakota.?"
Does it matter how we answere
this??
Old 09-18-2021, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
there is this residency affidavit
that must be filled out.
it asks a question..something
like "when done traveling will you
be returning to south dakota.?"
Does it matter how we answere
this??
Just put 'yes'. Maybe you'll like South Dakota and want to keep it as a domicile but then people change their minds all the time. You're not locked into the answer!

by the way..... what are you typing on that gives you the short lines? Never seen that before.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Just put 'yes'. Maybe you'll like South Dakota and want to keep it as a domicile but then people change their minds all the time. You're not locked into the answer!

by the way..... what are you typing on that gives you the short lolines? Never seen that before.
my android phone.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
BLM land - there's not a ton of it in SD, but there is some, and it does have dispersed camping areas in it. No permit needed, limited to 16 day stays. The BLM office in Belle Fourche can give you the particulars.

- 605-892-7000

There's also National Forest Service land dispersed camping available in the area. Check with the NFS headquarters in the various forest areas for maps of dispersed camping areas on their Motor Vehicle Use maps. These are also available on line, on the NFS websites for the individual areas.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/bla...25823&actid=34

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd693956.pdf

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd693959.pdf
Thanks i downloaded the app.
can this fs dispersed camping
be accessed with a 32 ft travel
trailer a 3500 dually. and a prius..? Or just by quads and tenters??
Old 09-18-2021, 05:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Thanks i downloaded the app.
can this fs dispersed camping
be accessed with a 32 ft travel
trailer a 3500 dually. and a prius..? Or just by quads and tenters??
I'm in a 28'+ Class C with 3' of motorcycle ramp hanging off the back, and I have no problems. There are a few roads I don't go down, but it's mostly pretty good. You might want to drive the Prius in separate on some of the roads. I see 30'+ trailers in many of the spots.

Forest Service and BLM roads don't get great maintenance, so they can get channeled and rutted, so your biggest concern is ground clearance. Plus, they tend to get narrower and narrower as you go down them, so you might want to scout out the roads with the Prius before heading down them, looking for turn-around spots so you don't have to back out for a long way.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:09 PM   #9

Benchmark puts out an awesome atlas for each western state and I think they're starting on eastern, also. They are large scale so very easy to read.

We drove the heavier-lined marked roads with our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep and many about 20 miles from pavement. After a while if traveling the same state you'll be able to pick out many good gravel roads just by the terrain they go through. I will say we had a Jeep for exploring farther once we got the RV parked. I don't know how a Prius would do for exploring.

The atlas shows all public lands - BLM and national forest and many public campgrounds and siteseeing 'musts'. If you're going to be a one state for a long time or know that you'll return to that state they are worth it. Some years we'd spend all season in one state and explore it thoroughly. We absolutely loved them.... so much better than going by a GPS.

Here is the one for Utah:

https://www.amazon.com/Utah-Road-Rec...58605433&psc=1
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote