Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #1

Okay....Okay, tired of reading!

Our decision has been made, an Entegra it is. Most likely an Anthem DEQ.

But here's where we stand.
  1. We plan on being part of the class of 2015 for fulltimers, this is Nonnegotiable
  2. We need to sell our house, think we're okay here
  3. We need to sell ALL of our stuff, outside of personnel items, think we're okay here
  4. We need to pick health insurance, a little up in the air here. Depends on domicile
  5. We need to setup a domicile, depends on health insurance and taxes
  6. We need FULLTIMER vehicle insurance, i.e MH. truck, and Harley, could use help here
  7. We need to setup our finances (IRA's and brokerage accounts) do we go either a fully managed or Fee only managed accounts
  8. We need to decide on how we communicate on the road, Internet and cell phone access
  9. We need to decide on campground and other types of clubs to join, working on this, but open to suggestions.
Not sure if others have been faced with these decisions, but we welcome any and all thoughts on this subject so that we can move forward with our next adventure. We don't claim to have all the answers, but know that many many others have done what we're looking to do and would appreciate any insight to what others have run into and have done.

TIA......

Regards,
-paul
Flanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
Our decision has been made, an Entegra it is. Most likely an Anthem DEQ.

But here's where we stand.
  1. We plan on being part of the class of 2015 for fulltimers, this is Nonnegotiable
  2. We need to sell our house, think we're okay here
  3. We need to sell ALL of our stuff, outside of personnel items, think we're okay here
  4. We need to pick health insurance, a little up in the air here. Depends on domicile
  5. We need to setup a domicile, depends on health insurance and taxes
  6. We need FULLTIMER vehicle insurance, i.e MH. truck, and Harley, could use help here
  7. We need to setup our finances (IRA's and brokerage accounts) do we go either a fully managed or Fee only managed accounts
  8. We need to decide on how we communicate on the road, Internet and cell phone access
  9. We need to decide on campground and other types of clubs to join, working on this, but open to suggestions.
Not sure if others have been faced with these decisions, but we welcome any and all thoughts on this subject so that we can move forward with our next adventure. We don't claim to have all the answers, but know that many many others have done what we're looking to do and would appreciate any insight to what others have run into and have done.

TIA......

Regards,
-paul

We are in the process of executing almost the same plan. House goes on the market in three weeks. Disposing of 40 years of accumulation is an issue. You end up donating most of it unless you like selling stuff. We've never been good at that. Give away as much as you can to friends and family. Household items have little or no value. There is a local operation here that specializes in disposing of belongings for seniors that are downsizing. They spent four hours here and hauled off four van loads on stuff. Three were donations and one is to be sold in their second hand store. We have our MH on a site about 140 miles away until we get the house sold. Hopefully by the end of summer. Planning on signing up with America's-Mailbox out of S. Dakota. They also will help establish SD as a domicile. No state income tax. Going with Verizon wireless for phone and internet. Looks like fair coverage. Best to get all your financials in a national operation. We went with US Bank for that. Lots of stuff to think about and do. Overwhelming at times. There are those on this forum that will attest that it is all worth it.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:52 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Similar plan for us (haven't decided our choice of rig yet) but probably won't execute until 2016.

Regarding selling things...my last three military transfers I had no problem selling things on Craiglists with items ranging from a scientific calculator to a whole shelve of homebrewing manuals. I do not find it that much of a hassle and it is amazing how much money you can stash in a coffee can doing this. There will be some bigger items we know our kids will want and we will also let our realtor know that literally anything in the house is negotiable (70" flat screen, elliptical trainer, stack weight set, etc.).

Good luck on the next chapter of your life.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #4

New Horizons Owners Club
Good luck! We did that in 2012 and having the time of our life now. In Rapid City this month exploring the beautiful Black Hills. Signed with Americas Mailbox and that is working out well. Traded our license and plates in for SD models, no more state income tax :-) It was hard, but totally worth it. Was certainly the right decision for us. Just keep going at it everyday. It's been only 18 months and I can't really remember the pain for all the fun we are having now!
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:27 AM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just had a garage sale and took in $8500.00
I started getting ready last fall it took all winter. A little everyday.
We were just downsizing after 43 years of marriage. It is so surprising what people will buy and what they will pay. We did not have to give much away.
We started on a Thursday and by Saturday noon it was all over. We feel really purged. Like the Toyota Commercial (OH WHAT A FEELING)

I went on Craig's List and found a School giving away stacking banquet tables. I got 5 big tables for free. At my Garage Sale I promised them to a lady and they picked them up yesterday. They will pass them on to the next person. Our way of recycling.

I would suggest that you allow lot's of time to purge because I can tell you it takes time.
My DW and I are not going full time we just wanted to downsize.
When the time comes it will be easeir for us but we only got rid of half.
If you are planning for 2015 start now and you will make it. Other wise you will throw a lot away,and that would be a shame. We priced stuff so low people could not help but buy.
Good Luck
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For Full timers there are 4 states last I checked and a 5th up and coming

NV
TX
SD
FL
(GA)

These are the states that allow you to full time,, I'm most familure with SD's rules which require you to be in the state ONE NIGHT prior to registering or renewing driver's license.. A hotel reciept will do, the poster was not sure about a campground receipt.. Alas, my renewal date is NOT when I wish to be in SD less I fly in.

Texas: Join Escapee's RV group.. They have lots of info,, Special license needed for big rigs.

Do not know that much about FL

NV where you register greatly affects registeration cost for RV.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We are in the middle of achieving our goal of full timing. House was sold in Feb. hired an auction co. for estate sale and are now living in a rental home. Lease is up end of May (vacation home in beach resort) and waiting on motorhome delivery. Should be in by end of June (hoping a little sooner but you know how that will go). Really looking forward to our new life.
ravens2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:17 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Good info from other full-timers which we aren't. A couple of thoughts from our experience. And these are just our thoughts - others may have better ideas, at least for their situation.

Verizon has good coverage and good plans. We tired of trying to use hit or miss wireless at CG's and decided to use my Samsung for a hotspot. It has worked great and the extra Gig's aren't too expensive for the convenience. This week I discovered that using the phone so heavily - plugged in for long periods - has damaged the battery. We were able to get a new phone with a discount on the plan for a net cost of zero. Also they suggested a new tablet that is designed to be a hotspot and won't suffer from the battery drain. They didn't charge for the tablet and the cost is $10 a month. If all goes as described, I'll be even happier.

Regarding club's. For us FMCA, Good Sam and KOA have been well worth the cost for discounts. (I'm sure there are lots of differing opinions on each of them.) Passport America hasn't been as useful. Big Rig's Best Bets, Allstays and RV Parky are useful. campgroundreviews.com and IRV are terrific. I probably missed a few.

We also use Coachnet - just has worked for us. Again others may have had good experience with others, but you need some type of service. You get three years with your new coach.

Good luck - it's a great life!
Old 05-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
We use Verizon as well, but understand...no one has universal good coverage. being out West this Spring has brought that knowledge in spades. There seems to be some movement in improving wi-fi, but no one seems to be able to stop the wonton video streaming download that ruins it for everyone.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #10

Tn. no state income tax, no personal property tax, no vehicle inspection, no special driver license and mh tags same as vehicle $55-$75 yr. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
SD - no income tax. In the state one night to take your campground receipt to the driver's license bureau. No written retake, just the eye test. Motorcycle an any vehicle endorsement basically automatic. Coach registration based upon weight. Anthem was $650 for this year.

Establish residency (use a hotel) in same way prior to buying coach and sales tax is 3% (if you buy elsewhere and it is 3% or more they honor it with no additional tax required). Several mail forwarding outfits to do so. The only PITA, they are hardcover on thirty days in the county you are in to get a concealed carry permit for your weapon.

Must return every 5 years for licensing. Registration on line.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote