Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #1

Oregon Mail Forwarding Service?

I have been a full time traveler for about 5 years now., I do it out of a built out Subaru and get Hotels & AirBNBs very frequently for work.

I am an Oregon resident and have been for about four years now. Up until now I have been using friends addresses, but it's becoming more work than it's worth.

I would like to stay an Oregon resident for various reasons (the main one being my health insurance has been out of Oregon for awhile now, and I like the Dr.s I've started to work with). I came across Oregon Home Base, but it appears to be closed. I was wondering if anyone has successfully setup a mail forwarding service for Oregon that works for the DMV AND insurance? and if so what insurance did you use (I've had issues with this in the past)? Keep in mind this insurance is for a car not an RV (not sure how much of a difference this would make).

Thanks in advanced, my backup is to do My South Dakota Address to register my car, but keep my Oregon license with it's current (unavailable to me) address on it. Which is not my first choice for obvious reasons.
HD00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2020, 09:51 AM   #2

Where abouts in Oregon are you based? Oregon is not the best place as you probably already know. Oregon has become really unfriendly. But I still live her so...
You might give Home Town Postal in Dallas a call and see if they do mail forewording. I know they have mail boxes for rent.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #3

I am an Oregon resident with a domicile address that is used for everything; DMV, health insurance, vehicle insurance, personal property insurance and all banking and financial accounts. All of these accounts are set up online and to be paperless for any communications.

My mailing address for all of the above, is the residence of a close friend in California. I use USPS Informed Delivery to monitor that address each day for any mail with my name. My friend is very good at sorting out junk mail, mostly generated by USPS selling names and addresses. If anything sent to my mailing address is important, it is usually because I had it sent there on purpose, so I know it is coming and watch for it to arrive. My friend then sends an envelope of any accumulated mail, along with whatever was important to have forwarded to my current location where I can receive mail. I get mail forwarded two or three times a year to various locations. For that service, he is well compensated and I have enjoyed not having to worry about mail.

There are some institutions that will send some things to my mailing address and a couple who send something to my domicile address on rare occasion. I visit each of these addresses at least once a year, so can collect anything that is deemed important enough to have on paper, but theres not much these days. Most of those documents have been duplicated online.

Oregon DMV is surprisingly prepared to use your domicile address for your driver license, titles and registration and also provide a separate mailing address on those documents. Not all states are capable of the same.

I hope you are able to find someone who you trust to be willing to handle your mail for you. This has been very helpful to me and not a burden on my friend. It is largely made possible by doing everything online.

There is no reason to change your domicile state for the purpose of managing where you choose to receive your mail. If Oregon is where you go when you "go home", that is your domicile state.
Sherpa Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #4

I use a mail forwarding forwarding business in Brookings as my mailing address. I do have to use my friends address in McMinnville as domicile for some financial reasons. It has worked for three years to include buying a new truck.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:37 AM   #5

Thanks for the quick replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Where abouts in Oregon are you based? Oregon is not the best place as you probably already know. Oregon has become really unfriendly. But I still live her so...
You might give Home Town Postal in Dallas a call and see if they do mail forewording. I know they have mail boxes for rent.
Yea I know. I debated SD for quite awhile, but I really want to try to keep it Oregon if I can. I'm based in Forest Grove just west of Portland, but I'm open to the address being anywhere in the state. I'll give Home Town Postal a call. Thanks for the lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa Vern View Post
I hope you are able to find someone who you trust to be willing to handle your mail for you. This has been very helpful to me and not a burden on my friend. It is largely made possible by doing everything online.

There is no reason to change your domicile state for the purpose of managing where you choose to receive your mail. If Oregon is where you go when you "go home", that is your domicile state.
This is what I've been doing for awhile, but the two friends I trust unfortunately move around a lot, and it has become too much of a hassle to keep updating my address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
I use a mail forwarding forwarding business in Brookings as my mailing address. I do have to use my friends address in McMinnville as domicile for some financial reasons. It has worked for three years to include buying a new truck.
This is more what I think I'm going to end up doing. I've used UPS boxes for my mailing address before and really like them. As I mentioned previously in this reply. Finding a friend I trust who doesn't move around a lot has been the issue for the domicile.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD00 View Post
Thanks for the quick replies!

Yea I know. I debated SD for quite awhile, but I really want to try to keep it Oregon if I can. I'm based in Forest Grove just west of Portland, but I'm open to the address being anywhere in the state. I'll give Home Town Postal a call. Thanks for the lead.

This is what I've been doing for awhile, but the two friends I trust unfortunately move around a lot, and it has become too much of a hassle to keep updating my address.

This is more what I think I'm going to end up doing. I've used UPS boxes for my mailing address before and really like them. As I mentioned previously in this reply. Finding a friend I trust who doesn't move around a lot has been the issue for the domicile.
The Eastern part of Oregon is not unfriendly, although Bend seems to be changing as it grows. The further you are away from the larger towns, the cost of all insurance goes down. I can remember when Forest Grove was a small town, but that too has changed.

Your domicile and your mailing address are two totally separate things. If a friend is not a solution for a mailing address, then going back to a mail forwarding business should be an easy solution without changing your Forest Grove base. If you change your domicile from Forest Grove to another part of Oregon, you can keep the same mail forwarding service.

Domicile is " a legal construct used to determine where you vote, file lawsuits, pay taxes, claim benefits, and oblige governmental authority". Domicile has no connection with where you choose to receive your mail, with few exceptions.
Sherpa Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:02 AM   #7

Yea I know. It's the domicile that I'm trying to figure out how to set up without relying on friends. Right now my domicile is a friend's old house that has previously been sold to new owners. This just doesn't seem like an ideal situation to me. The mailing address is easy enough. My main issue is car insurance. Last time I tried to set that up with a mail forwarding address they denied me because they wanted a home address. This was both progressive and Geico.

So I need a new address for DMV and Insurance so I'm not using an address where people I don't know live.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:04 AM   #8

As a full timer we have ran in to the problem of no physical address. We attempted to buy a toyhauler not long after starting fulltiming but were denied because of the lack of residence, especially if there was ever an attempt at repossession.

Oregon does have a "Constant Traveler" option for their license but when i went in to talk to the DMV about it, the lady politely told me it would not be in my best intrest. It seems to be for the homeless, especially for those that only are given an ID card.

For disabled vets Oregon is a good tax and benefits state so we don't want to lose my residence. I just ended up using my best friends house for residence, he won't ever move so we are lucky.

Sorry I don't have better news, this is just what I ran in to while out here on the road.

On the good side, I can give the recommendation of the mail service in Brookings. About once a month I call or email and my mail gets forwarded. When I call they will go through the mail with me and send what I am interested in receiving or email and it is all sent.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:56 AM   #9

There is a outfit called "Mail Forwarding Services" in Tangent Oregon that we use and have for the last 7 years.
They did switch ownership about a year ago but we have nit noticed any changes.
They provide a PO box AND a address you can use for banking and other things that require a "address".
My wife did the "Constant traveler" option for her drivers license a few years back and has seen no adverse issues so far but I opted o go the regular route just in case LOL.

Good luck
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
There is a outfit called "Mail Forwarding Services" in Tangent Oregon that we use and have for the last 7 years.
They did switch ownership about a year ago but we have nit noticed any changes.
They provide a PO box AND a address you can use for banking and other things that require a "address".
My wife did the "Constant traveler" option for her drivers license a few years back and has seen no adverse issues so far but I opted o go the regular route just in case LOL.

Good luck
Awesome. I just looked them up and they look like what I've been trying to find. Thanks for the information.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD00 View Post
Awesome. I just looked them up and they look like what I've been trying to find. Thanks for the information.
Yup, you're welcome. Hope it works for you.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service