Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2012, 06:51 AM   #1

Coastal Campers
Pain Medication

I am traveling for the next year or so and I am wondering what people do to get pain Meds refilled, when I had to go to my pain doctor to get a new script every month? I live in Florida and in NH for a few months. I am seeing my NH doctor in a day or so, maybe he has some Ideas? Am I going to have to go to a pain clinic in every state I'm in when the time comes I need a refill? There has to be people out there that have this issue!!!! Please advise, Thanks for any help!
SandiLaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #2

Just TELL him you need a year's prescription allowing 3 months worth at a time. Now, just go to whatever outlet there is, wherever you are, and present your empty pill bottle, and they will have you prescription transfered to them. this way your prescription follows you.

Or, have the prescription with a national chain pharmacy, no muss, no full.

If you doctor does not want to work with you on this, tell him to pound sand.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

With ordinary meds, using Walgreens has worked great for us. We just go on line and type in our current zip code and it gives us a list of Walgreens nearest us that can refill our prescription.

However, if you have serious pain meds which REQUIRE that they only write you a script for 30 days at a time it could be a problem. I'd talk with your doctor about what you are going to do and see what he's able to suggest.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We use Walgreens for some meds, our insurance only allows for 30 day refills but we've never been too far from a Walgreens to have it be an issue.

I have 2 rx's that qualify for Walmart's 90 days for $10, those are mailed to our mailing address quarterly then forwarded on to me.

Finally, I switched from using prescription strength Ibuprofen & antacid to buying over the counter equivalents at Costco and doubling up the quantity... this is convenient as you can stock up, not worry about pharmacies, and save $$
Old 08-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
With ordinary meds, using Walgreens has worked great for us. We just go on line and type in our current zip code and it gives us a list of Walgreens nearest us that can refill our prescription.

However, if you have serious pain meds which REQUIRE that they only write you a script for 30 days at a time it could be a problem. I'd talk with your doctor about what you are going to do and see what he's able to suggest.

Rick
Walgreen's also has a nice online system that allows me to track prescription info at their secure website. I think 90 days is about the max with 30 day refill intervals. Your doctor may be willing to refill scripts over the phone every 90 days while you are traveling. He will only have to call his local Walgreen's and it will show up in the national database.

They also keep my CC info on file so I can use express pay at any location. Never a problem unless I am staying in a very small town, then I have to decide if I want to drive or hassle using a small pharmacy.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:01 AM   #6

Both my husband and I use pain meds in the form of patches for chronic pain. This has been a serious issue more for him then me. My Doctor has worked well with getting my prescription for my Fentanyl patches to me. I then send it to Express Scripts and that way I can get a three month supply. Other wise I would be limited to only a 30 day supply. This is what happened to my hubby....and it has been a pain. He is on a Butrans patch. He tried to get it through the VA, but they said no. I think he needs to go to the VA while we are home and see if there is something else he can do. I will be interested to read how other full timers handle this stuff. I can't be the only full timer out there on meds for severe Fibromyalgia. I sure don't want to stay home. It is too cold here in the winter.

Debbie
Currently snuggled between the Cedar Trees
In Poulsbo, WA

ladybostons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You should have had a long talk with your home Dr in Fl before you left about this. He knows your exact condition and whether or not you need these meds temporarily, occasionally or for life. I am assumimg a "contolled substance" (CS) here.

This NH Dr can certainly fill you in on the laws reguarding CS. Some Drs are nervous about handing these out on a 3 or more month basis, some are not. It would be a good idea to have this NH Dr get your records from Fl before your vist. It may put him more at ease to give you a 3 month presription.

Because this is a CS, I'm sure you can only get 30 days at a time. As far as re-filling a prescription, if you have the bottle, you can walk into any pharmacy and get it filled. I've done this quite often while traveling. It is a bit easier if you are dealing with a national chain, but not necessary.

It may be a good idea to call your home Dr to see if he will help you with this. If not, I would have him send you all your medical records so you have them with you, especially if you are going to be moving often. I can tell you almost any Dr is not going to give you more than 30 day unless he knows you have a confirmed long time need. Good luck!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Some of the rules are different state to state. DW had a prescription that "expired" in NY because it was over 30 days old. Took it with us to Florida and no problem. I think it is 90 there. In NY, land of high taxes and stupid rules you can not have a controlled substance prescription called in to the pharmacy so you need the actual piece of paper. I am thinking if your doctor will go along with it, having him/her mail your prescription to the CG you are in or going to next would work. Health care when you are mobile is a challenge.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #9

Check with your insurance

The chain pharmacies might refill, but Tricare, my insurance, apparently will only let you transfer one time, so while out last time, i spent a month without mine cause my insurance would not let me move it the second time. And we are retired military, so changing is not an option. My Dr would have written a new one but we were moving every two days, and they have to be paper, no call in.... 30 day only.... Am going to get written ones that are undated i guess.....
Will let you know.... If anyone as a solution, i would really like to know.....
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #10

Understand also that if your Rx is for a controlled substance, say one containing Hydrocodone, then that RX is only good for six months no matter where you are or who you use. It does not matter if the doctor gives you five refills and you only got one, if six months has passed, you will need a new RX. Now you might arrange with your doctor that when you get in an unkown destination and are in need of new Rx for whatever the reason that you will call him asking him to call in a new Rx to whatever pharmacy you choose at that location. When there, discuss this with that pharmacy so they will know your doctor may call them soon. This way the doctor and pharmacy are aware of the situation.

Bill (RPh)
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
The chain pharmacies might refill, but Tricare, my insurance, apparently will only let you transfer one time, so while out last time, i spent a month without mine cause my insurance would not let me move it the second time. And we are retired military, so changing is not an option. My Dr would have written a new one but we were moving every two days, and they have to be paper, no call in.... 30 day only.... Am going to get written ones that are undated i guess.....
Will let you know.... If anyone as a solution, i would really like to know.....
See if he will prescribe for 90 days IF you go through Express Scripts. I also have Tricare and this is how I get my Fentanyl patches and Xanex. Both are controlled substances.

Debbie
Old 08-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Some of the rules are different state to state. DW had a prescription that "expired" in NY because it was over 30 days old. Took it with us to Florida and no problem. I think it is 90 there. In NY, land of high taxes and stupid rules you can not have a controlled substance prescription called in to the pharmacy so you need the actual piece of paper. I am thinking if your doctor will go along with it, having him/her mail your prescription to the CG you are in or going to next would work. Health care when you are mobile is a challenge.
TX is one of those states that if your prescription is 21 days or older it is no longer valid. Fortunate for me we had moved on...I got my hard copy back from Express Scripts and was able to get it refilled in full in MS!

You are so right about health care being a challenge when you are mobile!

Debbie
Old 08-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #13

Coastal Campers
Thanks for replying. I'm having a tough time with these Meds! My NH doctor reluctantly wrote a 30 day supply, but said he felt he was sticking his neck out! I guess we will have to go from state to state and, if I have a problem, just hit the emergency room! I have to have them long term so maybe the letter I have from the Florida Dr. Will work. I'll keep u updated!
SandiLaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use Medco online mail-order for all our meds. I get my Lorcet 90 days at a time with a 6 month prescription from my GP. I would suppose I could re-order my 90 day supply and have it shipped to where ever I happened to be. Maybe it's time for a new GP. Sounds like your current one is a little gunshy for some reason. Sometimes they get that way because of DEA investigations for prior infractions. Who knows?
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote