Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2020, 12:11 PM   #99

The only issue we have had in over 50 years of camping was this past winter in New Mexico. Someone took our portable step with folding legs. Luckily my wife saw it gone before stepping down in the morning.
Rascal55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2020, 02:09 PM   #100

I've never had anything stolen from my campsite, but neighbors of mine have had a bike, an Axe, a drill, a hammer, a water bucket and a cooler of beer.

Now most of the stuff I brought back before they left (Except the beer)

Now my dog has stolen shoes from people parked next to me twice. We get up at 5:30-6am and do our morning "walk". And occasionally he comes back with shoes. Never sandels, but usually pretty expensive running shoes. Why do people leave those outside their trailer door? Usually its easy to find the trailer as there are more pairs there. Depending on the amount of slobber, I leave a note!
Lonewolf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:44 PM   #101

I have a Progressive EMS 50 which is portable. I use a cable lock to secure it to the pedestal. I have never had anything stolen while camping. I think campers are good people is why.
azchoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:01 PM   #102

Anything Stolen

I have camped all over the country and never had anything stolen. I use a Progressive surge protector which was quite expensive but never had a problem.
B767man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:17 AM   #103

Installed hard wired decade and half ago... the best option for me... Since we camp mostly at private campgrounds, we haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood).
Salik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:59 AM   #104

Installed the Progressive hardwired unit several years ago in the 5th wheel. Installed it only for shore power and not generator as progressive recommended not to install inline with generator feeds. Been a great unit with zero issues.

As far as theft - never experienced anything missing (been camping since mid 1980's) however nothing is left nothing to chance and is secured (except a dirty grill or dishes sometimes) and the rig / vehicles are locked 100% - to any include any hitch equipment - all the time.
Chrisb009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:37 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking41 View Post
Carlgorski, I hope you never have a big power surge or lightning strike near you. You will wish you had a surge protector. I have also had incorrectly wired pedestals and low voltage. I would say you are very lucky.
Not really. Incorrectly wired I doubt that. DOnt you think it would have been noticed. How many big power surges have you had a t home. What's that? None. It's ok if you want one for piece of mind but it isnt required.
carlgorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:09 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
Not really. Incorrectly wired I doubt that. DOnt you think it would have been noticed. How many big power surges have you had a t home. What's that? None. It's ok if you want one for piece of mind but it isnt required.

As camp host in state parks all over the US, we average about 2 brownouts a year where our built in Progressive protector will trip out when the voltage drops below 108V. One time we plugged in only to find that a worker had reversed polarity by mistake during his earlier repair. I would not camp w/o a voltage protector, we have too much at risk like AC motor, resident refrig, TV and computer.
I did walk around our 288 camp ground that was full and only noted a couple of portable power surges of maybe 30 that were chained down.
Someone would have to be pretty bold to steal one and I think it would be noticed right away when the power went off.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:47 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post

Not the best advice. I’ve had several large surges over the years at home. Last one was 2 months ago and surge suppressors saved several expensive items. You do realize that small surges take a toll as well, over time they can do the same damage as a large one? Then there is the issue of low voltage wear and tear on AC compressors.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:04 AM   #108

Ford Super Duty Owner
With new RVs and all the electronic equipment inside, an EMS is an important add on. Over the last 8 years we have had 2 park electrical stands with reversed polarity, one without a ground, and at least one occasion of a brown out. The brown out likely would have caused problems with our electronics.

There's also an important difference to note between a surge protector and an EMS. A surge protector is a good piece of protection. However, they typically do not protect for over/under voltage nor off frequency as the EMS will. I think it's worth the extra bucks to get the EMS.

The Progressive EMS is the first thing I add to any new RV. It tends to keep camping happy

Dave
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:20 AM   #109

Carlgorski, it sure is up to you if you do or don’t want the protection. I had a lightning strike very close which caused serious damage to two rv’s next to me, none to me. Twice reverse polarity. Once a car knocked down a nearby power pole causing major problems in the park but not me. Not having the device would have really messed up my vacation.
viking41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:57 AM   #110

I figure CGs are some of the safest places around. People are always watching other people. Most campers seem to be of Vietnam vet age & I figure that there are guns everywhere.

The dumb thieves would do well to avoid CGs.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:02 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
No issues with theft but then we are careful, locking bays and toad at night etc. Our portable surge protector stays inside the power bay, and we use our 50amp power extension cord to run from it to the post. That way the surge guard is out of sight and out of the weather.
Just was wondering for clarification, you run your extension cord from the shore power to inside your rig, then connect your surge protector to the extension cord, and then you connect the rig power cord to the surge protector, all inside the bay?
Sam93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #112

This weekend I thought I had something stolen. I was camping in a park for a couple days while riding my side by side and off road scooter. I thought my extension cord on one of those rollers where it automatically rolls up. I couldn't for the life of me find it, until I got home and saw it in the basement under a tarp. The way the tarp was positioned it didn't look like anything was under it. I spent like an hour looking for it, and rode around the camp to see if I could see it if someone had stole it.

But still nothing stolen from me except a couple beers I left out on a table that I didn't mind if they were taken.
gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, problem