RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-10-2020, 02:40 PM   #1

Problem with campground thieves?

I'm in the process of purchasing a surge protector and I'm debating whether to get one that plugs into the campgrounds electric post or one I can hard-wire inside my RV. I prefer to get one that I lock to the electric post instead of having to hard-wire one since it's less work.

My question is (or maybe this is a survey) has anyone had any issues with people "borrowing" your belongings while you were camping at a campground? If so, what kind of stuff did the @#$#%$ "borrow"?

thanks

DMacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2020, 02:46 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
My surge protector is hard wired in but have left out many other items that would be easy to steal and never had a problem.

2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D
tscarps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I’ve had a pedestal style Surge protector for 7 years and no one has bothered it. For that matter the only thing I ever had taken at any campground was a hotdog buy a squirrel.
I never tempted fate by leaving valuables out any more than I would at home. They do make a lockable connector cover that is not very expensive.

40' 2000 Monaco Windsor, ISC350 Cummings w/Allison 3000 6 speed and Jeep Cherokee toad. We're all old but, we keep on trucking!
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:52 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I used one for a little over year with no problems, traded MHs and the this one is in the basement. Services tend to be at the back of the sites, so it's not like these are hanging right out front drawing attention. You could use an old ratty towel and toss it over the power pedestal to cover it up if you're worried about it.
As Dsallach said, I don't leave valuables laying around any more than I do at home. We lock the bikes, we lock the car, we lock the doors on the RV. But we leave chairs out, we leave the grill out, the mats, all of those things that make an RV site 'comfortable' - I guess in my mind the surge protector just fell in to that category.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:52 PM   #5

I've had 2 bikes stolen so far. Now days, when I stop at a new RV park, I'll ask management about thefts and they're usually open about it. Means the difference in whether or not I lock the basement compartments where my tools are. The bike is always heavy cable locked to the awning arm.

Now as long as a thief is unaware that the awning arm can just be unlatched and the cable will drop to the ground, I'm good. The cable is like 1/2" thick so not as attractive for a thief. My last bike was locked up with 1/4" steel cable and a thief cut through that nice and clean even though there were 2 unlocked bikes right across the 'resort's drive. Really annoying they picked mine.

Last thing I do is always roll up the windows and lock the doors on the car before nightfall, and then when I pull into a campground and unhook the car, I'l put a cover over the Blue Ox AND put the electrical umbilical in the trunk because those get stolen too, and I don't want a casual campground thief to know what brand tow bar I have, let them think I have a cheap setup. It's both locked with a tow bar lock and clamped tightly in place to prevent movement so would be hard to steal, but I don't want them to attempt it either and bust something.

I bought a hard wired Progressive EMS because I'd read about people having their power tower installed ones walking away. That setup for using a small chain on most doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:53 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
We’ve been rving for over 40 years and have had only one incident and that was over when we first started. We were at a public beach CG in California and during the night our cooler with beer and soda was stolen.

Other than that, not a problem. We have a portable surge protector which I lock with a chain or lock the box or both. Never had a problem.

Nick
2014 Tiffin Allegro Red
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I mean if you are going to lock and unlock every time it really isn’t any easier than installing it permanent and be done.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:32 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
DMacLeod-

I am much more likely to leave something behind than I am to have it stolen.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:39 PM   #9

With a permanent one, once you install it, it's always there and you can't forget it....
2010 Rockwood Sig Ultra lite 5er 8280......'99 Ram 2500, Cummins. 4x4.....Pullrite Superglide.....RV Mutant 186.....Bob the Builder...As not being a cook, 1/2 way thru bucket list.....casting no shadow...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:49 PM   #10

Never had anything stolen.... in campgrounds or in the wilds of boondocking. We leave the gas grill and its propane tank out all the time along with nice reclining chairs. We used to carry nice bikes and just left them parked under the awning. We didn't do 'resorts' so maybe that's where things get stolen.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:00 PM   #11

No issues with theft but then we are careful, locking bays and toad at night etc. Our portable surge protector stays inside the power bay, and we use our 50amp power extension cord to run from it to the post. That way the surge guard is out of sight and out of the weather.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:05 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have heard of a few bicycles being stolen but not much else.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:37 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We have never had a problem with theft but we do secure our bikes at camp.
BUT we did mount ours in our bay and then had a remote wired to the cab area so we can check the electrical service at the campground at any time.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:43 AM   #14

Haven't had any problems with theft, but I do lock up bicycles and take appropriate measure i.e. not leaving valuables laying around. I used to use a cable and lock on my P.I. EMS (portable), but now I have it permanently mounted in the storage bay with the power cord.

Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, problem