Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2022, 12:47 PM   #1

Propane gas/carbon monoxide monitor

We live in our travel trailer full time and recently our propane monitor has been alarming. It happens very early in the morning and we don’t smell any gas and we aren’t using any appliances or the heater when it goes off. This is a new trailer…we have only had it since December and we are the first and only owners. Could it be a faulty monitor or is there a gas leak we need to worry about. Has anyone had this happen? Since we live in it it’s going to be an ordeal to get it into the dealer to check everything out so I just wanted to check here first. Thank you.
JoyNtheJrny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2022, 12:56 PM   #2

I have no propane at all on my unit, but mine goes off as well. Disconnected it and then reconnected and it didn’t go off for weeks, then started again. There is a life cycle wear out date on those so I simply replaced and not a problem since. Ran about 55 dollars. Will never tell you not to worry about it but I would first try to disconnect then reconnect. If nothing else get a portable detector until you can get your unit back in. Stay safe.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 01:03 PM   #3

Alarming Early AM....could be low DC voltage causing it to alarm

Are you connected to shore power?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 01:34 PM   #4

Buy this, turn off any gas appliances, install it, turn on tanks for a minute, turn off the tanks.

Now watch the gauge, it should hold its reading for 1/2 hour or more if you don't have a serious leak.

If it drops fast, I'd have the system checked.
Attachment 376313
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:30 AM   #5

I wouldn't trust my life to any OEM installed detector.

We were in our new fiver probably 6 months (2021) and had maybe 3,000 miles on it when we began smelling a rotten smell in the kitchen area. The propane detector is mounted at floor level maybe 4' from the stove. It didn't register anything so we didn't even consider it was a propane leak. I flushed my gray tanks, replaced the trap filter under the kitchen counter, still a rotten smell.

Finally I removed the stove top and discovered that the manufacturer had installed my gas line wrong. They had run it across the sharp edge of the oven top instead of through the void it was supposed to go in. It had vibrated back and forth enough to wear a hole and was leaking propane!

After I replaced the line and ran it correctly, I purchased two portable propane detectors. One sits 2' from the stove/oven and one stay in our bedroom.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:30 AM   #6

Low battery voltage will cause an alarm. Try plugging into shore power & see if it repeats.
If needed, it's a simple repacement. 2 screws & 2 12 volt wires.
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 08:36 AM   #7

Try these troubleshooting steps: https://www.theoutdoorhacker.com/why...0be%20replaced.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:44 AM   #8

I have heard a dog's butt has set them off or "other" methane producers...
Been discussed before.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:05 PM   #9

Lots of good advice posted above.

Carbon monoxide will trigger a Propane/Carbon Monoxide detector. Co is tasteless odorless.

Propane detectors do not do chemical analysis on what is in the air. Many organic molecules will set off a detector. Farts, smelly feet, drying varnish have all been know to trigger some detectors.

Your nose is an excellent detector for the stink put into propane supplies. It is not a good detector for CO or Methane.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:23 PM   #10

I can confirm this. Our dog likes to sleep pretty close to that sensor and occasionally I smell it and the alarm goes off about the same time. It happens very rarely, though.
dpbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:20 PM   #11

The detector must be replaced about 5 or 6 years after the date of manufacture. There should be a label on it.

Mine started going off every few days and that's when I learned of the lifespan. The sensor just loses its ability to do the job.
Oregoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, monitor, propane