Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Question about terminology

Just a question about terms: If you are living in a shelter on land you own, how is that considered "full timing?" I have noticed people using the term more and more loosely, to the point of people claiming to full time even if they just live in the same park for years.

I consider full timing to be a lifestyle choice that includes a certain amount of travel. If living in a structure on land and never moving is considered full timing now, then I guess everyone is a full timer.

I also posted this on RV.net after reading a thread about full timing in a tent. Cross posted it over here so I can get a variety of opinions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #2

Full-Timing - I do not consider the amount of travel done when I hear the term full-time. You can full time in an old school bus w/o wheels if you live there. If you are full time in a trailer, motorhome, 5th wheel that means you no longer live in a sticks and bricks dwelling.

So yes, you can full time in a tent.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
paz

FWIW, I once read a quote that said "Traveling full time in an RV is freedom. Living full time in an RV that doesn't move is sub-standard housing."
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
FWIW, I once read a quote that said "Traveling full time in an RV is freedom. Living full time in an RV that doesn't move is sub-standard housing."
X2 for me
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #5

I consider us "Fulltime", we live in our with nothing in a storage facility. Sold our home and all property except a house we rent. We campground host and will be traveling December 1st thru March 1st with several months during the summer. We have friends with a home but consider themselves fulltime somehow.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Amen! Preach on brother!
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
KIX

Quote:
Looks to me like you nailed the definition.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Voted best answer!
Old 11-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I agree and to the OP's point, both of these situations contain full time in the description. Kind of splitting a hair but from a traveling full timers perspective I can relate to the "purist" instincts; valid or not they must be felt so they are expressed.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We are living full time in the RV. No more house, no more land, no more storage unit. All we have is in the RV. Do we move all the time? Nope. But we go where Thom's job has him at that time. Right now we are sitting in a mobile home park. Will we stay here? Nope. We will move soon but we have been here so far for about 5 months. We do take off on side trips thou. We are full time according to us, the insurance company and our doctor.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #11

AprilWine, I understand. I might call myself a fulltimer 'cause I am some where full time. But, I wouldn't call myself a fulltimer if I was parked in a park for a year without moving the RV.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Walker View Post
AprilWine, I understand. I might call myself a fulltimer 'cause I am some where full time. But, I wouldn't call myself a fulltimer if I was parked in a park for a year without moving the RV.

And I think I was raised by full timing parents. We never stayed in one place for more than three months, we were just missing the camper.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #13

To me, full timing is living in any sort of vehicle or RV, to an extent anyhow. If you stay in one place for 2 years and never move it, that's kind of not the point of "full timing". That is more along the lines of merely having a "tiny house".

I am full timing in my motorhome right now but once I get sick of that, maybe a year... maybe 3 years... who knows... I'll find an RV park and park and stay there. But, I might opt for an old travel trailer that provides more space and sell the motorhome, or just park it at the RV park if I am able to as my primary vehicle since it's no longer or wider than a 15 passenger van. Then I can travel as I want to in the van but have a home as well.
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #14

iRV2 No Limits Club
As you can readily see from this thread, and the 38 responses you got on the other forum, the exact definition is very different frpm person to person.

When some one mentions that they full time, if it matters to the conversation, I ask for their definition of full time.

By the way mine: Living 365 days in your RV and moving at least twice per year.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote