Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2021, 04:08 AM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
Question about water pressure

We're picking up our new RV soon and one of our first RV parks told us to make sure we have a water pressure regulator because their water pressure is very high. My question is, what PSI do you set your regulator to?

thanks
DMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2021, 04:15 AM   #2

Our onboard pump puts out 55 pounds. I have the regulator set at 50 pounds. That pressure seems to work well for us. I have been told that 60 pounds is acceptable. I place the regulator directly on the park hose bib.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:11 AM   #3

I ful time for 5 yrs now and I set mine at 70 psi and have never had a leak. I've tried 80 for a month and had no leaks but it was to much pressure at the kitchen sink and I was spraying it everywhere. I've been told the pex water lines are good up to 100 but I've never tried it.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:25 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
50 to 55 psig will work fine in an RV. For a water pressure regulator, do not get on of the cheap inline ones. Get the larger one with a gauge and that is adjustable.

One like this will do fine.
Water regulator

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:54 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
60 psi. And we use a regulator with a gauge.
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:03 AM   #6

NONE......
Fill your fresh water tank and use the on board pump

Reasons:
1) Leak while on city water can flood your RV
2) Pump pressure is consistent regardless of where you go
3) Leak...you can hear pump cycling
4) Leaving RV/Going outside/going to bed---flip of switch/pump off no surprises from a leak while gone

**I do use a reg at Spigot with 'WYE".....one potable hose for filling fresh water tank and one garden hose for general service
Adjustable Reg /pressure set for 50# Static (no flow)

WHY?
Cause in 2008 while asleep and on city water a fitting on WH Tank Hot outlet broke (cracked from factory overtightening).
Water ran for HOURS...flooded living room, kitchen and both slide outs
$6000 in damage/costs
We were FT and our 'home' was flooded. Spent 2 weeks getting it fixed/living in motel
**Had regulator on at spigot

NO City Water Since and life is simpler!!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:11 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I use the Fairview pressure regulator which is fixed at 55 PSI. Works great for us!

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/h...kaAmSyEALw_wcB
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:14 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
NONE......

Reasons:
4) Leaving RV/Going outside/going to bed---flip of switch/pump off no surprises from a leak while gone

**I do use a reg at Spigot with 'WYE".....one potable hose for filling fresh water tank and one garden hose for general service

WHY?
Cause in 2008 while asleep and on city water a fitting on WH Tank Hot outlet broke (cracked from factory overtightening).
$6000 in damage/costs
We were FT and our 'home' was flooded. Spent 2 weeks getting it fixed/living in motel

WOW! That's a very convincing argument!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:23 AM   #9

Like Old Biscuit we never stay connected to the city connection in case of damage/leaks. Have heard and seen it happen to friends and others we've met so ........ We always fill our tank and use that on the very odd occasion we might be in a CG with full hook ups.

Likewise and everyone's different, we personally never leave our black or grey tanks open. We let them fill to almost full prior to dumping and typically will black flush as well and often fill back up both with fresh water, slosh around and dump again. To many this might seem overkill, and to each their own but "touch wood", we've never had a problem with our tanks, only our Full sensor in the black that gets resolved each time we do this thus far.

Happy Travels. SD.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We set our guage at 58 PSI an never a problem and always have great shower pressure
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:15 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most decent quality potable hoses are good to at least 200 psi, so I mount my adjustable regulator in the water bay, not out and available. I’ve also set my system with two gauges, so I can easily read park and coach pressure. Right now the Corps park is at 75psi, my coach at 55psi. Everybody’s happy.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:57 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Adjustable regulator with gage mounted in the wet bay, set at 50 PSI
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:59 AM   #13

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
NONE......

Reasons:

WHY?
$6000 in damage/costs

Thank you for the great information, you got me thinking. I know this would be more of a pain, but if you're worried about leaks while you're gone for the day, or sleeping, couldn't you just turn the water off at the spigot?
DMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMacLeod View Post
Thank you for the great information, you got me thinking. I know this would be more of a pain, but if you're worried about leaks while you're gone for the day, or sleeping, couldn't you just turn the water off at the spigot?
Sure. But it creates a daily opportunity for error. I don't know about you, but I tend to, um, "avail myself of such opportunities" from time to time...and it always seems to be at the worst possible time!

I think OB's solution is great; we'll start doing that.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pressure