Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #15

nope. none.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #16

No regrets just wish we had more time between retiring and going full time. Only had 3 months between retiring and going full time. Boredom can be a problem at times but would go through the same at a S&B. We have limited income right now so we cant do everything that we want however after 40+ years of working Ill take retirement !!
Old 12-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Regrets...what are those....oh yea, that's what you send for all those weddings, showers, dinners, and parties you were getting invited to before you decided to be free of all that stuff when you want to be
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
How can I say that I have no regrets, you be the Judge!
I married a wonderful women and were still together for over 61 years raised 4 children, have 5 grand children and 5 grate grand children own our own house for 52 years and park a 1997 36' motor home along the side of our house.
Travel from California to the East cost two times once we were gone over 6 months and belong to 3 different R.V. groups and travel all over once every other months.
We go to Palm Springs each year for about 6 to 7 weeks.
We both are in our early 80 and in good health.
What in the world would I want to regret.
Just a thought
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildogavmc
I know there's a thread about the downside of FT'ing but do any of you have any specific regrets along your FT journey? I see a lot regret not doing it sooner! Any regrets with the unit you started with? How you traveled and locations you chose? Mistakes you may have made directly related to the FT lifestyle? I'm going to be FT in the next few months and want to be as informed as possible! Thank you in advance for participating!
We have no regrets over our 30mo. FT adventure.....however we also knew going in that it was not going to be a "forever thing". We did about the same amount of FTing in 1998-2000 and found that between 2 & 3 years is when the magic of travel and RV living runs it's course for us....

1) Type of RV..... The first time we went full-time it was in a 5er and the second time is was a Class A....much preferred the A.

2) Locations... We always stay in the West as it has everything (Weather, Parks, People) we enjoy.

3) Mistakes.... We always over-estimate the quality of organized campgrounds.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post

We have no regrets over our 30mo. FT adventure.....however we also knew going in that it was not going to be a "forever thing". We did about the same amount of FTing in 1998-2000 and found that between 2 & 3 years is when the magic of travel and RV living runs it's course for us....

1) Type of RV..... The first time we went full-time it was in a 5er and the second time is was a Class A....much preferred the A.

2) Locations... We always stay in the West as it has everything (Weather, Parks, People) we enjoy.

3) Mistakes.... We always over-estimate the quality of organized campgrounds.
Hey jack is there any particular reason you preferred the A to the 5er? I ask because I'm looking at 5ers myself at the moment
devildogavmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I have concluded that 5ver's are great for setting up in one place to live in but not for moving around from place to place frequently. I like their high ceilings and usually more living space.

I haven't owned a 5ver but from my point of view it is far more convenient to travel with a class A where you can pull over and stop for the night without having to get out of your rig to do anything.

Far more secure than having to go from your TV to the 5ver and back again.

At least that's my point of view.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #22

We're not going to be doing a lot of traveling for a while. Mostly static at military bases for work. We will be doing extended vacations in it though
Old 12-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My only regret is I still have to work so FT is out of the question right now.... I'm so jealous!
Old 12-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog2020 View Post
My only regret is I still have to work so FT is out of the question right now.... I'm so jealous!

A big X2 on that one.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildogavmc
Hey jack is there any particular reason you preferred the A to the 5er? I ask because I'm looking at 5ers myself at the moment
The. 5er vrs MH is like the gas vrs diesel...the Ford vrs Chevy...light beer vrs regular beer...debate......there is no winner and it's all personal preference. However, I think Richard has kinda caught the essence/core of it. A MH is just much more fun to "travel in" while a 5er is probably better to "live-in". We also never felt comfortable or safe pulling the "heavy" house....preferred a "light" toad. We never really liked driving a 20' DRW truck vrs our Civic Si around town....and maneuvering a big 5er into a narrow camp site was always more drama than it was worth!

The big downside to a MH however is cost! Apples to apples a big luxo 5er is far less $$$ than a luxo MH...and then there is the inevitable depreciation that you have to face at some point. We purchased a modest (6yr MH) and made a few small upgrades (tires, batteries, satellite) and when we sold it after 30mo. The monthly amortized depreciation cost (excluding fuel, repairs, maintenance) combined with our monthly campground fees was more or less $2,500 p/mo..... Where we live $2,500 will rent you a very nice condo or home and thus begs the question .....if you are not going to travel in your RV....is it really worth living in it?

This is just "our" experience and is no way reflects the experience of others or your own personal situation....just something to consider as you weigh the pros. & cons.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #26

I completely understand what you are saying. As much as I would like a mh it just wouldn't work for us. We're both still working full time and for me driving a truck and pulling a trailer is what I already so since we have tons of cattle and farm land. So it won't feel out of the ordinary in my book to pull a big 5er, I already tow trailers longer than and often heavier than any 5er on the market
Old 12-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildogavmc View Post
I completely understand what you are saying. As much as I would like a mh it just wouldn't work for us. We're both still working full time and for me driving a truck and pulling a trailer is what I already so since we have tons of cattle and farm land. So it won't feel out of the ordinary in my book to pull a big 5er, I already tow trailers longer than and often heavier than any 5er on the market
I myself have pulled trailers and driven HD trucks for all of my adult life. For me towing a 5er is just like another day at the office. I'm still learning the in and outs of the components but these forums are great for that. I went from years of tent camping right to a 5er. Mommas happy so everybody's happy. No more night time walks to the potty, lol.
We got a smokin deal on the brand new '13 model we bought a few months ago. Sticker was 53K it was on sale for 40K and we ended paying 33K. It wasn't easy but I was able to convince the dealer that they needed to get this '13 model off their lot. Now is a good time to buy. The GM showed me their invoice to prove that couldn't go any lower. They cleared around $500 on the trailer.
Happy camping ! ( is it spring yet ? )
Heavyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #28

Wow!!!! That's a great deal! Hopefully I can have that kind of luck here shortly!