Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2022, 12:57 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Sad end to FT

Ok this is not a happy post. We have now been full time for over 2.5 years and most time for the 2 years before this. While traveling east out of Oregon we had a total engine failure on our 2018 Tiffin RED 37PA. It only had 27,000 miles on it, all our miles as we bought it new. We got towed back to the Freightliner shop in La Grande OR only to find out we have a catastrophic engine failure and Cummings is replacing it with a new (not reconditioned one) engine. Bad news is that it will take 3-4 months to get this delivered and repaired. So we are not off the road for a while (maybe off the road for good) and heading to SC where we are looking at maybe purchasing a home. So plans are up in the air right now. We are gutted over the breakdown. We will keep you all posted as things progress.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2022, 01:11 PM   #2

Yikes! Hope it works out well for you whichever way that might be
Old 08-05-2022, 01:16 PM   #3

I "assume" most of the 3-4 month estimate is to get the new engine ??
Why couldn't you have it towed (complete before any teardown) to a local campground that allows long term renters and just hang out until it's ready to be repaired ? Then have it towed back to the shop and fly somewhere for a vacation for a few weeks ? I know that all sounds simple....but something like that.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:51 PM   #4

Oh momdoc, one thing with owning an RV is many many things are sent to challenge our minds, hearts and pocket books for sure. In our earlier years with a brand new gasser we had breakdown after breakdown after breakdown. Every precious vacation week ruined with being towed here there and where ever. They tried to put the onus on us dirty fuel but it wasn't. Finally someone said what we described to a local auto Ford garage on the final breakdown and frustration in Milk River "I bet its a fuel pump issue". Limped overnights cooler weather into South dakota over next couple days and they did it under warranty due to my frustrations and never a problem afterwards in needing to be towed.

Except a handful years later $2 clip failed and rod punched holes throughout and we needed be towed 90 miles to Pocatello where we spent 10 days on their yard waiting for a reconditioned engine replacement. Then again 5 years later after having her in for a service at Great Falls Montana and asking check oil pan and anywhere else for leaks as we were adding a lot of oil were told all OK. Didn't even get half way to Helena and we lost our engine yet again due to losing all the oil. That one took three half weeks in 2018.

I do feel for your plight and the timeframe on lead time etc in this instance but ..... if you heart really is to continue RVing take a deep breath, consider the suggestion in an above post or rent cabins in places for a month at a time or longer where you can explore from via car and then resume your plans from before this happened.

Of course you do you, but I've followed many of your posts and you really seemed to be embracing the RV lifestyle living FT. It would just be a shame for you to anchor yourself into something (market might be on a decline as well we're experiencing here with higher interest rates happening), that's not as easy to resell if you decide you want to get back in the game.

Maybe just give yourselves a bit of breathing room for a month or two somewhere you'd enjoy exploring and let the anger and frustration of what's just happened wane a bit before making a huge commitment you wish you maybe hadn't a few months down the road. Just saying and absolutely you do you. I always say "if it's to be it's up to me" and "where there's a strong enough will, there's always a way".

BarbaraOK taught me more than two decades ago, keep an emergency fund roughly 10% of what you pay for your rig and add to it monthly. I've never forgotten that and it's what has kept us going with our rig over the years. Yeah for sure at the time issues happen it's annoying, anger and frustration, but a deep breath and "tis wot tis", we've persevered. Now health or issues outside of our control that could wipe us out the game totally well ......

Hope we still see you around the forums, and you let us know what you decide moving forwards.

The very very best with whatever you decide is the best course of action moving forwards for your best future.

SD.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 02:20 PM   #5

Sorry to hear this. Same happened to me only with a Ford V10.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:56 PM   #6

I'm sorry to learn this and would be sorry to hear you left the full-time lifestyle. I enjoyed your posts and you seemed to enjoy the travels.

I'd also second the above post to try to get the MH towed to a campground until they're ready for the repair or to rent something nearby. Give it another try.

I'm disappointed that vehicles don't seem to be made as they used to be. Perhaps too much electronics on them.

Best of luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:14 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Ok this is not a happy post. We have now been full time for over 2.5 years and most time for the 2 years before this. While traveling east out of Oregon we had a total engine failure on our 2018 Tiffin RED 37PA. It only had 27,000 miles on it, all our miles as we bought it new. We got towed back to the Freightliner shop in La Grande OR only to find out we have a catastrophic engine failure and Cummings is replacing it with a new (not reconditioned one) engine. Bad news is that it will take 3-4 months to get this delivered and repaired. So we are not off the road for a while (maybe off the road for good) and heading to SC where we are looking at maybe purchasing a home. So plans are up in the air right now. We are gutted over the breakdown. We will keep you all posted as things progress.
Sorry to hear this story, and others like it. We are full timers as well and have been since 2019. Wishing all of you who have suffered these issues the best.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:19 AM   #8

On our sixth year full timing and your story is my biggest worry.....big failure coupled with the supply and worker shortage. I am fortunate enough to have family stick stick and brick bailouts. Good luck and the choice you make will be the right one!
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:24 AM   #9

Sorry to hear that. From what I've heard, it's pretty rare for Cummins engines to have issues.
Rosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meames1 View Post
I "assume" most of the 3-4 month estimate is to get the new engine ??
Why couldn't you have it towed (complete before any teardown) to a local campground that allows long term renters and just hang out until it's ready to be repaired ? Then have it towed back to the shop and fly somewhere for a vacation for a few weeks ? I know that all sounds simple....but something like that.
The only issue with this, and maybe it could be worked out with park management, is that many places require the RV to be a running RV.
Denie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:21 AM   #11

When I read the title of your post, I expected something catastrophically bad. Aside from some logistical issues, I'd say you are very fortunate. No one's been injured, your MH isn't totaled and you're getting a new engine under warranty. Even though it's going to take some time, it could have been much worse. I'm sure you'll work out something that's satisfactory.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:12 PM   #12

We feel your pain. We had our engine replaced in spring 2019, under extended warranty. 4 months, using a long block. Most of the time was consumed by warranty company due to the high cost, but finally done. We stayed at our sons house, were glad to get back into the coach.
Old 08-27-2022, 11:56 AM   #13

The struggle of full time living can be difficult when your home is having issues. Over two years ago our home caught fire traveling down the road, complete loss along with all inside, catastrophic to say the least. We did have our eye on a new toyhauler before the fire and were considering trading up but was not ready, now all our plans were going up in smoke while at the side of the road watching our home burn.

The questions started going through our minds, the biggest was; What now? Phone calls were made and we were able to acquire a temporary trailer from friends while sorting through the mess, both burnt items and insurance. After much discussion, with a large portion of being stopping travel, our decision was, we didn't decide to stop traveling, a wreck/fire/bad month does not get to make our decisions. Only I get to make that decision.

Our decision was to continue this lifestyle. We bought the toyhauler and are still out on the road. Currently leaving Alaska after a wonderful year up here (we rented a cabin for the winter so we could enjoy an Alaskan winter, bucketlist). If you are not ready to stop full timing, don't stop because a hiccup stop because you decided to go back to a sticks and bricks lifestyle.

Best of luck. Click image for larger version

Name:	20201122_133048.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	374728Click image for larger version

Name:	20210625_102754.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	374729
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 12:31 PM   #14

Bummer situation! And some great posts with positive input for you to consider...

Let me also say I always enjoy threads with our posts in them....

I'm in the camp of suggestion you both give it sometime. A few days, weeks - can make a real difference in a decision. Stay in a park until Cummins is ready for the swap out? Sure! Go to SC and scout out future, or now, property? Sure.

As the next few days and weeks go by, ask yourselves 'Are we ready to come off the road now? Or, were we 'knee jerking' from a bad situation?'.

Only you two can make this decision...

Best to you both. And please, even if you do stop RV'ing - keep sharing your knowledge on IRV2...
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote