Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #1

Safety, Security and Crime

I do not yet own a RV. I am planning on getting a DP motorhome and most likely go fulltiming. When living in an RV fulltime my questions are:

1) What has been the experience of those in this forum who full time with crime, theft, robbery, violence while in campgrounds and on the road?

2) What are ways to minimize problems?

3) How many people carry weapons in their RV?
BucketList is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #2

There are gazillions of crime posts already on Irv2 and every other forum. You go looking for "crime" you'll find it. No different than a S&B.

Guns are a highly religious issue (not to mention Constitutional). There are bazillions and bazillions of posts already covering every conceivable (and inconceivable) aspect of it on every forum in the world, including Irv2.

A forum search is usually a good place to start.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
1. Never had much trouble till one trip through Wyoming in 2004.

2. Be aware of your surroundings and stay out of areas that seem like trouble spots.

3. Many more than will tell, something over 50% it seems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We travel with weapons...so if we were full-timing we would have weapons as well. As for the crime, a lot depends on where you stay, how long you stay...and more importantly - how long you're away while you're staying at a campground. As with a stick house, your security is more of a deterrent...to keep the "honest man - honest" because the "pro" is getting in...hence the normal "alarm" systems available...and, for us, “Sarge”...our Doberman.
ZephyrKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
1. Never had much trouble till one trip through Wyoming in 2004.

2. Be aware of your surroundings and stay out of areas that seem like trouble spots.

3. Many more than will tell, something over 50% it seems.
Ditto.

We were full time for the better part of 4 years... 40,000 miles and 34 states and never had so much as a suspicious moment. Having said that, we NEVER boon dock or stay at rest stops, parking lots, etc.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having full-timed for a number of years all across this great nation, I would offer the following observation/s and advice: I don't think that the RV experience is any more or less a risk as it applies to safety than living in a permanent residence. Of course, this would depend greatly on where the permanent residence is located, but campgrounds by and large are very safe, in my opinion, particularly those that employ security measures, ie; gated entrance and regular patrolling of the campground and facilities. Some of the greater risks may result from remote camping or rest-stop and related stopovers. We never carried a weapon in our travels and never felt threatened. As far as RV'ers are concerned: taken as a group and generalizing, in my opinion, it would be difficult to find a more trustworthy and caring group of individuals. Think about it: campgrounds are self-contained communities where often times a large number of people from various backgrounds, but with a common interest are "housed" in close proximity to one another, and seldom does one hear of disagreements or friction among the residents. I would suggest that RV'ers carefully select campgrounds and camping experiences that afford safety and peace of mind while employing the same security measures,ie; awareness of surroundings and extra vigilance when in unfamiliar surroundings as they would with any other travel experience, as well as at home.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Only had two incidents in a campground.. Both minor.. many many years ago back in our PUP days we lost our breakfast, BEFORE WE EVEN HAD A CHANCE TO COOK IT, Lunch and dinner too. . They stole our cooler.

And more recently.. A table I sometimes use for my computer went walk-about on me. Thankfully.. I have 2 and frankly the 2nd one was more in the way so the loss was nothing, but they still can't figure out why someone would swipe that small table.

I know of friends who have had more serious issues... Such as one of my friends who's kids both lost a bicycle (Sort of) to a thief... Who was.. Well,,, let's just say the old phrase "Smile you'r on candid camera" applies.. They had security cameras on the scene, bicycles recovered. Thief invited NOT to return to the park.. I think he's parked elsewhere now.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's pretty much the same as going anywhere, keep your eyes open, follow your instincts. A gun will absolutely be of no help. I think a NRA member sticker would be more help.

If you are adventuresome, you can do overnights in Walmarts, rest stops, and other public places. Not being alone is always good, don't shy away from a place just cause a lot of others are parked there.

99% of the time, no worries if you use your head.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #9

Never had any problems in over 16 years. Just be aware of your suroundings. If it dosen't feel right leave. As far as weapons, carry a can of wasp and hornet spray, or a pocket size pepper spray. IMHO, stay away from firearms unless you know how to properly handle them.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #10

Our experience has been about like others (we only travel for 6 or 7 months at a time). Had an incident in a highway rest area and someone broke out a side window on the towd as we motored down the highway. Never had a hint of a problem in campgrounds, but we do make it a point to avoid party hearty state parks on weekends.

Percentage of rvs with guns is probably about the same as all residents with firearms (those with firearms in a stick and brick likely have them in an rv). NRA is probably the best place to search for that data.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
It's pretty much the same as going anywhere, keep your eyes open, follow your instincts. A gun will absolutely be of no help. I think a NRA member sticker would be more help.

If you are adventuresome, you can do overnights in Walmarts, rest stops, and other public places. Not being alone is always good, don't shy away from a place just cause a lot of others are parked there.

99% of the time, no worries if you use your head.
Sorry, but it was only because I had a handgun and a shotgun that kept two men from making me a statistic in Wyoming at a roadside parking lot. After the incident I drove another hundred miles to a Wal*Mart and spent the rest of the night there

I won't put NRA stickers on my vehicles, that's just asking for your rig to be broken into while you're not there.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The great advantage that a motorhome offers over other RVs-- you can always drive away from trouble. When I boondock I make sure the key is in the ignition when I'm inside. If I get nervous I can just hop in the drivers seat and leave.

Most important -- LISTEN to that inner voice that warns you when danger is near.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
If you plan on traveling to Canada, guns are a problem. They will confiscate them at the border.
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Never had a problem and none of our friends have either. I don't carry a firearm,but have an old 4 cell Mag-lite where it's very handy and don't open the door for anyone I can't see.
I have tent camped with my parents in the 50's,backpacked a lot of the wash-ore Pacific Crest trail and other areas in Wa-ore and only had animal problems a couple of times,never a human problem and have tented and rv'd since the mid 60's till now.
I also don't stay at Wal-marts or rest stops 'cuz that can be inviting trouble.
Be very aware of using bear or wasp spray on someone as there are certain regulations and warnings on the can and using it in the wrong way can land you in more trouble,possibly,than if you hadn't used it.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety