Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #1

New Horizons Owners Club
Question SD Residence and PMB Address

We relocated from MD to SD in 2014. We established a mailing address (a PMB) traded our MD driver's license for a SD license, and tagged our truck and trailer in SD. Now we want to fish and buy a hand gun and are finding that we aren't equal to other SD residents. We understand that is required to prove that you have been residing in the state for 90 consecutive days prior to applying for a annual resident fishing license. As for buying a gun, we have not found a gun dealer that will supply a gun because we have a PMB address on our SD driver's license. We tried to use Apt vs PMB on our driver's license, but the DMV wouldn't allow that. This seems like discrimination against full-time RVers, or are we missing something or doing something wrong? What are other SD full timers that don't have family or property in the state doing for address and the fish & gun purchasing problems we are encountering? We are a bit bewildered, because now we can't buy a gun anywhere in the country, nor legally obtain an annual resident fishing license anywhere in the country either! Are we really SD residents?
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2015, 09:42 PM   #2

We rented out an apartment for $60 a year through a hunting lodge and that address is on our licenses.

Fritz
fcsteinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsteinho View Post
We rented out an apartment for $60 a year through a hunting lodge and that address is on our licenses.

Fritz
Wow! That would come in handy. Banks don't like the PMB either.

How did you discover the hunting lodge option?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
ken02802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I can't address the hunting/fishing thing but I have seen some problems with my Vanguard & Fidelity accounts. I simply use the "#" symbol instead of "PMB". The feds haven't come after me yet. LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #5

I guess I'm not 100% sure what "PMB" stands for. Also, are you going through one of the mail forwarding services offered within SD? Is this what is meant by "PMB"? I was under the impression that a mail forwarding service would provide an actual mailing address. Is this correct?

Would having a Utah LTC/CCW work instead of a SD LTC/CCW?

-paul
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:52 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
I guess I'm not 100% sure what "PMB" stands for. Also, are you going through one of the mail forwarding services offered within SD? Is this what is meant by "PMB"? I was under the impression that a mail forwarding service would provide an actual mailing address. Is this correct?

Would having a Utah LTC/CCW work instead of a SD LTC/CCW?

-paul
Yep, we are talking about mail forwarding services based in SD. PMB = Personal Mail Box

Of course, this only applies to folks, like myself, that have made SD or state of residence and have no other permanent address. There are many folks that use mail forwarding for convenience but still retain residency in other states or have a physical address in SD.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Yep, we are talking about mail forwarding services based in SD. PMB = Personal Mail Box

Of course, this only applies to folks, like myself, that have made SD or state of residence and have no other permanent address. There are many folks that use mail forwarding for convenience but still retain residency in other states or have a physical address in SD.
Actually took a look at one of the mail forwarding services for the LTC. They claimed 30days to get the SD LTC. The only issue I saw was with a financial institution. I guess they don't allow PMB's? Must have to do with mailing financial/personnel information documentation to you.

-paul
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:55 PM   #8

I've had ZERO problems with our SD pmb address. I bought a new truck, and trailer with that address, got a passport, and even a new rifle with no problems. I haven't tried a SD fishing license yet though.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmoeturhead View Post
I've had ZERO problems with our SD pmb address. I bought a new truck, and trailer with that address, got a passport, and even a new rifle with no problems. I haven't tried a SD fishing license yet though.
What mail forwarding service are you using?
Thanks
Old 06-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #10

For 16 years we used Escapee RV Club out of Livingston, TX for our mail forwarding with Zero problems. We had a legal street address (tested by Escapees in court) which was unique only to us, and even though it included PMB, we, along with most others, used #..... instead of PMB. Fidelity, Bank of America or Wells Fargo had to issues with our address. Neither did our vehicle, Medicare and supplemental insurances.

We traveled constantly so fishing licenses were always the out-of-state ones. No guns here.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:37 PM   #11

We have a PMB in SD and learned early on that the big store chains like Cabelas are the only ones that have a problem with gun purchases. Smaller gun shops have no problem using a PMB for a residence. Even bought a rifle in an adjoining state at Cabelas with no problems. It just seems the local big stores around the areas that house the mailing services (Rapid City, etc) have become gun shy on this issue.

Don't fish, so I cant help you there.

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:45 PM   #12

We have a UPS mailbox. Addr is "appt 123". Fed, State, Credit Union, all are fine. Resident hunt/fish okay. Even gonna do jury duty!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:17 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
We have a UPS mailbox. Addr is "appt 123". Fed, State, Credit Union, all are fine. Resident hunt/fish okay. Even gonna do jury duty!
But not in SD...
I haven't had any trouble with SD PMB with Fidelity, UBS, BOA, Merrill Lynch, Chase Bank, etc. Have gotten AR fishing licenses with the PMB - but haven't tried SD yet.

Will check with Cabelas in Mitchell, SD and the Walmart across the street tonight or tomorrow and report back.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:56 AM   #14

Geico called last year after change to sd pmb and asked where our Rv would be kept most often. I used a # before the number but their computer caught it. I gave them a Air Force base storage space number. Seemed to make her happy.