Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:54 PM   #1

Setting up residence in South Dakota

Thinking about setting up residence in South Dakota as We begin our lives as mostly full timers sandy thoughts on this.

2000 American Eagle
sledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2021, 07:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Did that last June. Drivers license's, plate for all vehicles, vote absentee, and best NO state income tax on anything.... We used "Dakota Post" in Sioux Fall and loved them. They were extremely helpful. We call and they check our mail on the phone and then mail it to where ever we are.

https://www.dakotapost.net/

Call them.........

Safe travels
Dave
Old 03-04-2021, 07:37 AM   #3

We set up residence in Florida, which has similar advantages to South Dakota.

Establishing residency from South Dakota's or Florida's viewpoint isn't that hard; for us, the challenge was convincing California we didn't live there anymore. Having a mail drop isn't quite enough, Cali looks for connections to the community. So, our doctors are in Florida, we have family there. Can document that we spend time there. Travel to and from job assignments from there. Also we ran into registration problems; Cali titles the chassis; Florida, the coach. So, consider what state you're moving from and what peculiarities follow from that.

Banks are gonna want a physical address, know-your-customer laws discourage people using mail drops as an address. Pharmacies are the same, if you're seeing a doctor in one town, and CVS has your address at some place hundreds of miles away, your e-scripts just don't go through. You need a home address, a CVS, and a doctor all located somewhere in the same general area to get your first fill. After that, CVS is awesome, they will literally refill your rx from anywhere in the country, no hassle.

Voting can be an issue. We are using St. Brendan's Isle, which started out serving liveaboard sailors and expanded into RV'ers. Their client list is so big now, and the county is so tiny, we became a major voting block. If we could just get organized, we could run the whole joint. Perhaps understandably, the supervisor of elections pushed back hard; for a while they wouldn't let clients register at all. St. Brendan's was able to negotiate a deal where we can vote in state and national elections, but not for city or county candidates.

Suffice to say, having a credible physical address is a biggie. Otherwise you're homeless, basically. Homeless people have a hard time getting bank accounts, doctors, insurance. Absentee ballots. So do we.

For a while there we "borrowed" our daughter's address in Florida. Perfectly legal, IRS is cool with it, banks are cool with it. Plus we were cosigners on the lease so I feel we had every right to do that.

Which is technically what the mail drop services are doing, they are letting you "borrow" their address. Just a question of whether the bank buys it. In our case, the bank's computer chokes on any address with "PMB" in it.

After our daughter graduated, and after a few months of trying to establish virtual residency, eventually we got tired of pushing that rock uphill and bought an RV lot. Made things sooooo much easier. (Until we simmer down a little, we just rent it out. Which means we are on the road during season, Nov-Apr. Which is fine. Huge demand for those things, with caveats. HMU with questions)

Not saying it's impossible, just saying that's what we ran into.

If you are interested in Florida -- which isn't the worst place in the world to hang out for a couple months a year -- look up St. Brendan's Isle. Great company. Green Cove Springs is right outside of Jacksonville, which has great doctors, Mayo and University of Florida have clinics there. Nice RV park at the fairgrounds for when you visit (meaning, inexpensive and friendly) and the Atlantic beaches up that way are fantastic. Easy access to the 10, 75, and 95. The DMV in Green Cove is RV friendly. If you tell em you live aboard, they put your license plate number on your driver's license as your address. Which I think is pretty cool. A little weird, but cool nonetheless.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:29 AM   #4

I don't think you'll fun into any of those issue with SD.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:25 AM   #5

Rather than SD you might also want to consider the two other popular states for domicile for full-timers.... Florida and Texas - home of the Escapees organization (very helpful information on their site for full-timers). Your medical insurance should be your major concern as to if you'll be covered for anything as you travel.

You shouldn't have any other issues that TampaDave, above, mentions.

We were registered in Texas and no problems with vehicle registrations, banking, medical, voting, insurance, etc. Escapees gave us a awesome mail service with a legal address.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:36 AM   #6

SD was great cause of lower registration fees, lower vehicle insurance rates and easy to establish residency
Course our birthdays were in the summer so NOT an issue renewing DLs
*Initially you have to be there for new SD DLs then you can renew on-line once and then next time you have to go there. Winter BDays would be a hassle

TX..many use TX (Escapees) but the Vehicle Insurance was MUCH higher then SD

FL....couple Mail Forwarding Services and Escapees has FL Option (SD Also)
Don't know about FL Insurance Rates

Medical Insurance.......
FL may be the only one that still has Nationwide Coverage (if not using Medicare)

We established our SD Residency BEFORE we left CA.
Set up our New Address, had them do the Truck/trailer registrations.
Changed ALL Mailing from CA to SD
Then when S&B Sold we heading to SD to get DLs and Register to Vote

Really not a lot different then selling S&B and moving somewhere else.
FTng is no different
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:20 PM   #7

Escapees has a lot of information about Domicle. They also have a mail forwarding address in TX, FL or SD. I went with SD because their sales tax was only 4% (changed from 3% just before I bought my RV) no income tax, no CDL required, and no vehicle inspection. You must stay at least one night initially to get your DL, which is good for 5 years. DL can be renewed online if you have a personal residence, if you have a PMB you must renew in person every 5 years. Annual registration is by mail. You can also register to vote by absentee ballot. Besides Escapees there is America’s Mail Box and several others in Sioux Falls. The only negative about S.D. is limited health insurance option, but if you are old enough for Medicare no problems.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:37 PM   #8

We did sd 5 yrs ago and got everything done in 4hrs, was a breeze.cheap insurance rates on full coverage. Florida's good for east coasters, my folks do tx but they have to go back for vehicle inspections. We love our mailing service , your best address yba, through fmca. We literally did everything through fmca with discounts. The yba mailing service is awesome and does all kinds of stuff for us way beyond the scope of mailing, there like our personal helpers that get stuff done in a pinch . The main reason we went with sd was because of the 4% sales tax. We came from tn wich had over 9% and we were planning on buying a 90k truck and a 200k fiver so we wanted to save some major bling. Got the truck ayr ago and only pd around $4k and with the big fiver build going to start this may, its a no brainer for us. Taking s.d residency is going too save us around 15k in truck and trailer, no brainer for us retired penny pinchers. Plus no special license needed for over 26k rigs. They don't give a rip, just pay them to reside there and do whatever you want.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & ordering a 48fb w/ side patio luxe.
Billett Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
my folks do tx but they have to go back for vehicle inspections.
If not staying in Texas you don't have to go and get inspected. All you do is check a box on the online form. If driving through you have 3 or 4 days before needing the inspection. If you're staying in Texas for a while then go and have it done in a small town. It's no big deal. Fast and Easy.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If not staying in Texas you don't have to go and get inspected. All you do is check a box on the online form. If driving through you have 3 or 4 days before needing the inspection. If you're staying in Texas for a while then go and have it done in a small town. It's no big deal. Fast and Easy.
I dont know how my mother's husband is dodging his inspection. He has a16 Cummins that's been deleated and I keep waiting to get the call were he sais yah yah yeah I know you told me so
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & ordering a 48fb w/ side patio luxe.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:32 PM   #11

Quote:
I dont know how my mother's husband is dodging his inspection. He has a16 Cummins that's been deleated and I keep waiting to get the call were he sais yah yah yeah I know you told me so
Didn't you say they have to go back for inspections? Now it sounds like they aren't.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Didn't you say they have to go back for inspections? Now it sounds like they aren't.
From my research it shows once a yr or when you come through the state every 5yrs. They have been ful timing for 6 yrs now and just keeps telling me, that he tells them they will be there next year, but then another year goes by with no intention of going . Uve warned him, you better do something about that diesel delete or your gonna get a big fine or maybe even vehicle confiscation, who knows
Old 03-05-2021, 12:11 AM   #13

Quote:
From my research it shows once a yr or when you come through the state every 5yrs. They have been ful timing for 6 yrs now and just keeps telling me, that he tells them they will be there next year, but then another year goes by with no intention of going . Uve warned him, you better do something about that diesel delete or your gonna get a big fine or maybe even vehicle confiscation, who knows
What is a "diesel delete"?

In order to renew a vehicle's registration in Texas, it must have passed a recent inspection, but there's an exception for vehicles that are outside the state (note that there's nothing about 5 years, and you don't have to tell anybody anything about when you plan to return):

Quote:
If your vehicle is currently out of state and you are unable to complete a Texas vehicle inspection in order to renew your registration, you may self-certify [check the box that twogypsies mentioned] that the vehicle is out of state and will be permitted to register online, by mail, or in person.

If you renew your vehicle registration using the out-of-state self-certification option, a remark will be placed on your vehicle record indicating that an inspection is still due. Once you return to the state, you must complete a Texas vehicle inspection within three days of arrival at your home, duty station, or destination.
Motorists | Two Steps. One Sticker. Texas DMV
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
What is a "diesel delete"?

In order to renew a vehicle's registration in Texas, it must have passed a recent inspection, but there's an exception for vehicles that are outside the state (note that there's nothing about 5 years, and you don't have to tell anybody anything about when you plan to return):

Motorists | Two Steps. One Sticker. Texas DMV
Diesel delete = bypassing or eliminating the def regen exhaust system for increased hp and lower maintenance cost. Lots of folks due this but it's illegal by today's epa standards and you can get in big trouble for this as well as the shop that did it for you, big no no if your trying to fly under the radar.
Obviously the more your familiar with the specific states rules and the loop holes and grey areas around them, the more insider info you have the better off you'll be in determining what you want to do. You won't always clearly find these walk around clearly spelled out in fact based web sites info while your trying to determine the best place for residence. It's allot to digest and that's one of those where you don't figure out until after the fact. Kind of like buying a house, you may think its the perfect situation, until you have bought and moved in that your 65 yr old neighbor has a professional sound system set up in his garage and he only listens to bass, to bad they didn't disclose that. Yes that happened to me