Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2021, 12:59 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Several days of maintenance or repairs

While full timing in an RV (especially with pets, though also without), what do you do if the rig needs to be at a dealer or repair place for several days? Do any let you stay in it, or do you have to find a hotel for the duration? Seems like a major hassle when the RV is your only home.
Dejus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 02:10 PM   #2

We had to do that twice.....and we had a big dog

First time.......
Blowout took out some wiring/skirting and we also had an issue with bedroom wall forward of slideout
It was going to take an Independent Shop longer to get parts/do repairs then traveling back to factory for repairs
So we made arrangement/appointment with Factory and then made are way there....1200 miles and 3 weeks out so no rush to get there

We made Reservations at Dog Friendly Motel near Factory (used a lot by others)

Dropped it off and they set it up/plugged it in/did the needed repairs (4 days) and done

Second time
Flood damage to large slideout in living room...required removal of slideout/rebuild/new subfloor etc

Reservations at Dog Friendly Motel...dropped it off/they plugged in/week later done

Bot times the only concerns was some 'personal' items that we took with us...everything else stayed in rig and was all there undisturbed
**Besides we had FULL Ins Coverage so wasn't too concerned about this or that

Full Timing......gotta be flexible
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:25 PM   #3

We were lucky and never had repairs in 16 years. We made maintenance appointment for the direction we were traveling. We'd pull in and they always did it on schedule. If done early afternoon we'd take off; otherwise we were always offered to park on their lot; sometimes with electric. During maintenance we'd go into town for errands, shopping or quick siteseeing. Sometimes we'd take a book and lunch and go to the local park. We never stayed in a motel while full-timing; thank goodness!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some places will let you stay in the RV once it is back in the lot.

We generally take the dog and parrot to a motel that will accept pets for a small fee. Knights Inn has been good to us.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:52 PM   #5

I make an appointment with the shop and let them know I'll be living in their lot for the duration. I've been turned down only a couple of times, and at one I just camped outside their gate until opening time.

Shops have been very accomodating, usually supplying electric and water. I've spent three days parked next to a garbage truck, five days at a brake shop in Ocala (Walt's, great guys) and 12 days at W.W. Williams in Montgomery. I've done two or three days at Cummins Ocala several times in their CG, plus several other one-or-two nighters.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:47 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Dejus….
When we initiate a repair appointment we always make it quite clear that this is our home, that we live in it. Most shops will accommodate if they can. Numerous times for routine maintenance or a fairly short repair we were allowed to overnight in the shop lot. Not always scenic, but usually friendly & cooperative. Many shops and dealers have parking sites all set up with utilities for customers.
Only twice in nine years have we encountered a repair that required our absence for more than a couple of days. In both cases we were fully covered for the entire hotel expense, once by our service contract, the other by a supplementary casualty claim.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:45 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejus View Post
While full timing in an RV (especially with pets, though also without), what do you do if the rig needs to be at a dealer or repair place for several days? Do any let you stay in it, or do you have to find a hotel for the duration? Seems like a major hassle when the RV is your only home.
When we had to get repairs last summer we spent 10 days in the parking lot and the company provide electric/water/sewer for our use. We had to get a hotel for 2 nights due to they had to remove the slide-out for a floor repair. The hotel was pet friendly, for an extra $25/night, of course. The repair company kept our rig plugged in for the 2 nights we were not there because our fridge/freezer was stocked. We are full timers so they worked great with us.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:54 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks all. I would guess that some companies and states are more accommodating to full-timers than others.

The dealer we're working with for some repairs (Poulsbo RV in WA) said they wouldn't allow that, and wouldn't provide hookups, so we'll have to empty our fridge and freezer. That doesn't seem feasible for full-timers in most situations; in this case, we can stay with nearby family, but that won't be the case elsewhere, and still a hassle.

If anyone has recommendations for Tiffin repair places in WA, OR, CA, or nearby states that are more accommodating to full-timers, please let me know! (I've cross-posted this in the Tiffin forum; perhaps better to reply there.)
Facebook: Tiffin Allegro Bus 2016-2018 Owners group
Old 09-20-2021, 04:46 PM   #9

Wow! Surprising! Are the repairs needed immediately? What kind of repairs? Call some other places on your planned route.

A friend of ours even had repairs done in Tucson and in the midst the RV couldn't be moved so they left it inside in a bay and let them stay overnight inside .... lowered the garage door and gave them electric......very trusting.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:24 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks all. I would guess that some companies and states are more accommodating to full-timers than others.

The dealer we're working with for some repairs (Poulsbo RV in WA) said they wouldn't allow that, and wouldn't provide hookups, so we'll have to empty our fridge and freezer. That doesn't seem feasible for full-timers in most situations; in this case, we can stay with nearby family, but that won't be the case elsewhere, and still a hassle.

If anyone has recommendations for Tiffin repair places in WA, OR, CA, or nearby states that are more accommodating to full-timers, please let me know! (I've cross-posted this in the Tiffin forum; perhaps better to reply there.)
There are other dealers that will work with full timers. Poulsbo RV doesn't have the best reputation in the state. Is the rig drivable? If so call Brazel RV in Centralia, WA. 877 786 1576 They have their own RV park, often repairs are done at the site. If they have to keep inside (very rare that they can't push outside for the night) they keep it plugged in for refrigerator. They are a little more expensive, but do good work.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:29 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Many Cummins shops have spaces with hook-ups for such situations
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:03 PM   #12

Right off I will admit I only read about half the thread. When I worked for a shop that specialized in large RV chassis work we often had "tow-in" live-aboards. I can't remember any that didn't have a pet or three, I did quite a few test drives with kitties sleeping on the dash. The ownership of the shop was really considerate of the needs of travelers and we would plug them in so they could stay in the lot with their coach (they even kept a spare key to the compound for that), most would get a hotel while in the shop. I even remember one couple that actually stayed in the coach in the shop overnight. The last shop I worked at we got a little traffic from Burning Man, and we plugged a few in for a night or two until we could get them back on the road.

I think a lot of mom and pop places wouldn't think twice about plugging you in while you're down. Bigger places may not be as accommodating unless they do work for a fair number of full time/ traveling RVers.
Just my $.02
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:12 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Quote:
…….The dealer we're working with for some repairs (Poulsbo RV in WA) said they wouldn't allow that, and wouldn't provide hookups, so we'll have to empty our fridge and freezer. That doesn't seem feasible for full-timers in most situations; in this case, we can stay with nearby family, but that won't be the case elsewhere, and still a hassle………..
Sorry to hear they’re not doing their best for you. They’re a big outfit, can afford to be helpful. They have five separate facilities in the Puget Sound area. We had some work done by the Poulsbo RV in Everett about 9 years ago. They weren’t very helpful, either. Made no effort to make things less disruptive, but we were staying literally right across Rt 99, so it truly was just a mild inconvenience.
If you are able to move, it might be to your benefit to seek out another shop.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:57 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
There are other dealers that will work with full timers. Poulsbo RV doesn't have the best reputation in the state. Is the rig drivable? If so call Brazel RV in Centralia, WA. 877 786 1576 They have their own RV park, often repairs are done at the site.
They sound great, though unfortunately their website says "As of 06/01/2021 we no longer offer RV Repair or Service at our facility."
Facebook: Tiffin Allegro Bus 2016-2018 Owners group

Tags
air, maintenance, repair, repairs