Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2021, 02:16 PM   #1

Short Term Full Time RV Question

Good day everyone. First and foremost, my apologies as I’m assuming this question has been brought up before. I did search for previous questions/answers regarding this issue, but didn’t see any. Probably not using the right words and to be completely honest I didn’t look too hard.

We are currently between brick and stick homes since we are selling one in California and having another built in Arizona. We’ll be in this situation for the rest of 2021. We have a 5th wheel and are staying at RV parks near new home but plan on traveling around the country for some of the wait. Our concern is providing an address to our insurance companies (Medical, not old enough for Medicare, Umbrella, Auto and Liability) that meet physical address requirements and would not be an issue if a claim needs to be filed. We do have a mail box at a local UPS Store, but I have learned that a physical address is required by insurance, banks and government agencies, for whatever reason.

We’ve been told by the representatives who answer the phone at insurance companies that a local family or friend’s address can be used in our situation. A little uncomfortable relying on the info from a low tier employee (hopefully not offending anyone out there) regarding what I would think would be a somewhat unique situation in their world. Instead I would appreciate hearing from those that are doing this now.

If a family’s address is OK, it’s fortunate my better half’s mother is moving to an assisted living facility nearby. However, if a claim is filed we might have a hard time explaining that arrangement and relief could be denied.

The only other option would be contacting a “Domicile” attorney, but felt this would cheaper and probably more accurate.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and comments.
AussiePop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2021, 02:48 PM   #2

Won’t they just take your physical address and a separate mailing address. Tons of people have a house and a P.O. Box at the post office
Old 06-22-2021, 04:31 PM   #3

Unfortunately our current house won’t be ours by month’s end and it’s in a different state where our current insurance (medical) doesn’t operate. We can’t use the new because it’s not our house and the development is too new to have the address in the system.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:17 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You will soon be former residents of CA, but not yet residents of AZ. You are free to choose your state of domicile. If you can find an authorized mail forwarding service in AZ, (not a UPS store, but a real handler/forwarder, authorized by USPS), they should be able to set you up quite handily. Then, when you close on your house it will be a simple change of address.
Absent an AZ based firm, contact The Escapees Club in Livingston, TX. They’ve been doing this exact thing for over 50 years, they’ve answered every question thrice over, and their address is accepted by damn near everyone, with a very few rare exceptions. They can easily set you up as Texans, which you may remain for as long as need be, then switch yourselves to AZ.
The Escapees folks also have professionals available who can advise on appropriate insurance cover, as well.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:17 PM   #5

I'll second Escapees RV Club for your mail service and address.

https://www.escapees.com/mail-service/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:21 PM   #6

We full time, I use my brothers address for everything, including loans and other odd things that you need an address. Had to file a claim for a complete loss due to fire, nothing was ever said, they even sent paperwork to three completely different addresses during the paperwork phase. They, Nationwide, was great for the understanding of our situation but I had to escalate a few times due to the additions and upgrades to the trailer. The general feeling was they never cared, it wasn't destroyed by neglect or that I started the fire.

On a side note, during this whole thing I talked to a high-ish mid level employee and we got talking about my future insurance prospects due to such a big loss. He told me the only thing that really affects your insurance is the market and your credit score. The better score shows you pay, low score is high risk.

In full disclosure, I am a moron who should never be listed to our take advice from, this is just my recollections and rememberings of past events.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
We full time, I use my brothers address for everything, including loans and other odd things that you need an address. Had to file a claim for a complete loss due to fire, nothing was ever said, they even sent paperwork to three completely different addresses during the paperwork phase. They, Nationwide, was great for the understanding of our situation but I had to escalate a few times due to the additions and upgrades to the trailer. The general feeling was they never cared, it wasn't destroyed by neglect or that I started the fire.

On a side note, during this whole thing I talked to a high-ish mid level employee and we got talking about my future insurance prospects due to such a big loss. He told me the only thing that really affects your insurance is the market and your credit score. The better score shows you pay, low score is high risk.

In full disclosure, I am a moron who should never be listed to our take advice from, this is just my recollections and rememberings of past events.

Thanks KTN1966. Your experience is exactly what I needed to learn from. We’ll be working with Progressive which is somehow tied to our USAA insurance. Shouldn’t be any different. Thanks again.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:42 AM   #8

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. Before posting this yesterday I did call Escapees and it was suggested I contact a Domicile Law firm they work with to get my questions answered. That when I came to this forum. I think I’ll call again.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussiePop View Post
Thanks for the great feedback everyone. Before posting this yesterday I did call Escapees and it was suggested I contact a Domicile Law firm they work with to get my questions answered. That when I came to this forum. I think I’ll call again.
The Escapees law firm is extremely knowledgeable on domicile.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:56 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
WE use St. Branden's Isle in Green Coved springs FL for our domicile (mail, car and RV reg, voter registration) for the last 5 years and no problems.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Our concern is providing an address to our insurance companies (Medical, not old enough for Medicare, Umbrella, Auto and Liability) that meet physical address requirements and would not be an issue if a claim needs to be filed. We do have a mail box at a local UPS Store, but I have learned that a physical address is required by insurance, banks and government agencies, for whatever reason.
We have been full timers for the past 2 years and used a UPS store as the address to our banking and to Progressive Insurance without any issues. Just this past Memorial Day week we changed our state of residency to South Dakota and changed our address/residency with all of our banks, insurance, credit cards, etc.. without any issue. As far as government agencies I am a disabled vet and use VA medical everywhere.
My wife is a retired teacher and had no issues notifying them for her medical, dental and vision insurance. When we had to file with Progressive no issues with the UPS mailbox address.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Our concern is providing an address to our insurance companies (Medical, not old enough for Medicare, Umbrella, Auto and Liability) that meet physical address requirements and would not be an issue if a claim needs to be filed. We do have a mail box at a local UPS Store, but I have learned that a physical address is required by insurance, banks and government agencies, for whatever reason.

We’ve been told by the representatives who answer the phone at insurance companies that a local family or friend’s address can be used in our situation.
I'm in your position except I have a post office box at a post office (which obviously doesn't qualify as a physical address) instead of a UPS store.

For almost 18 years of fulltiming, I've used the p.o. box for my mailing address, and for a while used an office address for a physical address, and a few years after that switched to a friend's house.

For insurance, cars need a "garaging" address. I use my friend's house's address for my toad that is insured by USAA, as well as for my RV that is insured by Progressive (not via USAA--it was cheaper to use a different agent than USAA). Insurance companies that offer fulltimer insurance understand that the garaging address is a fiction for fulltimers.

On my USAA umbrella policy, it asked for my address and I wrote "travel in my motorhome fulltime" or something like that (whatever would fit in the little box). I didn't want to use my friend's house because the umbrella policy is covering my residence (the motorhome) and I didn't want to confuse things by having an actual house listed, too. They accepted the policy, and I haven't made a claim on that policy.

I've had a few claims on the toad--all comprehensive (hail, break-in, broken windshield)--with not a peep out of USAA even though the hail was in Denver, the break-in was in Seattle, and the broken windshield was Austin. I now have another broken windshield, and that claim will be filed in Chicago.

On the motorhome, the only claim I've ever filed was a windshield claim, in Phoenix. Progressive just told me to work with some RV windshield company, which I did. That was that.

I honestly can't remember about medical insurance (not Medicare). I know that all the mail for it comes to my post office box, and I had this policy before I started fulltiming. But if they required a physical address, I'd be confident in using my friend's house for that, in addition to the p.o. box that I know they have because I get mail from them there.

I would check with your mother-in-law's facility to make sure you can receive mail there. I would just ask that question, and not explain why you want to receive mail, other than to say you're between addresses because you're selling your house. However, your mother-in-law or someone she knows will have to wrangle any mail that you do get that comes to her. It shouldn't be much, but no matter how hard I try, I still get some paper mail that comes to my physical address every once in a while.

If you're doing all this in California, the state will be happy because they make it hard for people to move away from there. And once you build your new house in Arizona and have sold your California house and aren't staying in California any more, that should suffice for cutting ties with California.

And since this is just for a little while, you can consider doing what I did, and not changing your driver's license address until it comes up for renewal. Yeah, I know you're supposed to change it immediately, but I didn't and lived to tell the tale, and it was one less thing to vex over.

One thing I will note is that the garaging address determines your premiums. So if your garaging address is in an area that suffers hail storms and tornadoes frequently, your premium for comprehensive will reflect that risk, even though you may not spend any time there, and may in fact actually be in an area that has almost no hail storms or tornadoes. But you'll still be paying for the damage from those hail storms and tornadoes.

I found that out one year when the comprehensive portion of my RV insurance more than doubled, even though I'd never filed a claim. I was told the insurance company was making up for past big payouts for comprehensive claims, which it's entitled to do when setting premiums.

I obviously can't say what will work for you, but this is what's worked for me for almost two decades now.

One of the selling points for Escapees mail service is that their Rainbow Drive address in Livingston qualifies as a physical location, so you don't have these issues. However, some brokerages have been known to balk at the Rainbow Drive address.

And for people who want a Florida or South Dakota domicile through Escapees, they have to sign up for a hybrid deal where they have the Livingston address for their mailing address, and a different Escapees address in Florida or South Dakota for their physical address. Any mail that goes to the Florida or South Dakota address is automatically forwarded to the Livingston address, sight unseen, and for a fee for each piece.

I figure if they can get away with that, then using a friend's or family member's address for a physical address, when the mailing address doesn't suffice, shouldn't be a problem. And so far, it hasn't been.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:55 AM   #13

Wow what great responses everyone has been providing. Thank you.

An update. We decided to go with Progressive for everything including our vehicles. Unlike USAA, they accept a mailing address for the auto insurance and are basing us out of Arizona. Not sure about umbrella yet.

Last week (against my better half’s judgement) we changed all of our financial stuff mailing & physical address to the UPS Store box. It was accepted, but the next morning got a call from our financial advisor. The brokerage firm notified them. The advisor “clued” us in on the “Patriot” act. Financial institutions are required to know your physical address or they can lock up your account. We immediately changed all of addresses to my mother-in-law’s apartment and I had to endure an hour of “I told you so”.

I think we are going wait for the license and registration. We just re-registered all both vehicles and trailer. About $1600 down the drain if I do it now.

We’re going with Mother-in-law’s apartment for the medical.

Never fell through cracks in the system before. Escapees looks they fill those cracks. If this was a permanent situation, we’d be signing up for their service.

Thanks again for the advice and experiences.

Tags
full time