Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:48 AM   #1

Should we? Or are there better options?

My wife and I (early 50's) are planning to sell our house in Central FL next March/April. Since we don't know where we want to live, we got the idea to get an RV and try out a few states (NC, SC, TN for starters). We figured we could live in each state for about 6 months to get a feel for if we like it or not. If we don't, we can move on to the next state.

This idea appealed to us more than trying to rent a furnished apartment for 6 months at a time:
  • Though it depreciates, at least some equity could be built up in an RV
  • 6 month, furnished apt leases are hard to find and expensive
  • We would at least have the option to move the RV if we don't like the particular area
  • We plan to keep the RV for family outings once in a permanent house

We don't know what we don't know so we are reading and reading and seeking input.

Money is an issue and I still work but can do so from anywhere with internet access. We have never lived in an RV but both of us are home all day so cabin fever hasn't really hit us. Thoughts?
jmartin104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2018, 11:17 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Kind of our plan as well. We will be in our RV for 2-3 years exploring the country and looking for a possible place to plant roots one day. We are in no rush to reach that point but want to see what is out there.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:45 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
That's a big jump! Be sure you have a soft landing.

RVs drop in value like a rock if you buy new. Used ones need maintenance.

Just be sure to put your house money into something solid with some return to keep up with inflation.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:32 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Internet access is sometimes tricky. Plan on using your cell phone as a hot spot.

RV's are expensive if new and maintenance hungry if used.

We did what you propose doing, but with a MH that was 22 years old and we had owned for 15 years.

Storing our 4 bedroom household goods cost about $1,000 per month. Moving costs were about $5k for a 200 mile destination.

Our monthly costs declined enough to cover the storage fees.

But.... we do feel we made an informed decision before buying the replacement house.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:26 PM   #5

Kind of short notice but on Dec. 6 some from this group will be hooking up in Savannah, GA. Go talk to them and see how they do with internet. Many, many young RVers are out there. As long as you can work from wherever you are it's easy.

A few concerns to dwell on:

- Do you have children? What about school if you're changing locales every 6m?

- What will you do for medical insurance. It will be expensive if you have to purchase it on your own and want to move around.

This group is growing in numbers so what you're planning to do is now being done:

Xscapers -
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:03 PM   #6

No kids, just a dog. I'm a disabled vet so as long as I have access to a VA, I'm good. But this was a concern for me. My wife needs medical but we currently have BCBS from work. I'm not sure if traveling would get us out of network billing though.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartin104 View Post
No kids, just a dog. I'm a disabled vet so as long as I have access to a VA, I'm good. But this was a concern for me. My wife needs medical but we currently have BCBS from work. I'm not sure if traveling would get us out of network billing though.
Right now Florida is the best state to domicile in for ACA insurance that you can travel with. If you're selling your Florida home then get a mail forwarding service to give you a Florida address. You'll need an address anyway.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:41 AM   #8

As others have eluded to, living in an RV is not like living in an apartment or house.

Do you know, or are you willing to learn all of the systems?
How your water works and how to get it?
How your septic works and how to dump it.
How your electrical works and what you can run off of 12v vs 120v?
What you can run off of 120v 15 amp vs 30 amp vs 50 amp?
How to heat/cool your RV?
How to maintain your trailer or RV?
How to drive your house down the road?
How to get your mail?
Spend money on all of the accessories, wheel chocks, sewer hoses, fresh water hoses, power cords, propane, fuel, blocks for your landing gear, etc.

These are just some of the differences. They are not bad, and all have been solved many ways, just things you need to think about.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:51 PM   #9

We have thought about most of the things in your list and more. Right now we have about 6 months to really think about and plan and we are trying to cover everything. In fact, I just learned today that our dog (Pit-bull mix) might be a problem with many camp grounds.

In the end, this might not be the best option for us, but we are looking to find out. Thanks for all the input!
Old 11-30-2018, 03:07 PM   #10

Quote:
We have thought about most of the things in your list and more. Right now we have about 6 months to really think about and plan and we are trying to cover everything. In fact, I just learned today that our dog (Pit-bull mix) might be a problem with many camp grounds.

In the end, this might not be the best option for us, but we are looking to find out. Thanks for all the input!
What you are thinking about with RVing to find a place to settle sounds like us. We had been checking out places on vacation and nothing was clicking. So we were going to do it through motorhome travel. After 3 months out, we decided we didn't need to be worrying about our house and went home, put it on the market, and got rid of most of our stuff. We're 15 months into full-time, have been across the country and back, and still haven't come close to finding anywhere we'd like to stay long-term.

You're right about pit-bull mix making things somewhat more challenging. We don't have pets but have seen many campgrounds that exclude certain breeds. However, that's not the case everywhere. Boondocking wouldn't be a problem and you can contact campgrounds and ask about their pet policy.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:10 PM   #11

Unfortunately, boondocking is out - I have to work and require the internet (software engineer). I'm planning on finding a good resource for CGs so we can plan for all the fun little things.

At the moment, we are planning to have someone tow a 5er to our destination (if we go the 5er route). We have to make sure the CG is good with the dog before going because having to suddenly move wouldn't be too fun.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Unfortunately, boondocking is out - I have to work and require the internet (software engineer). I'm planning on finding a good resource for CGs so we can plan for all the fun little things.

At the moment, we are planning to have someone tow a 5er to our destination (if we go the 5er route). We have to make sure the CG is good with the dog before going because having to suddenly move wouldn't be too fun.
Being connected doesn't rule out boondocking. These guys specialize in sharing the latest in connectivity and they are definitely boondockers: https://www.technomadia.com/

We learned from them before heading out. And through experience learned not to count on CG wifi. We have two hotspots to stay connected.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Boondocking will be no different than anywhere else with regard to connectivity (unless you go *way* out there with no cell coverage). 99% of the time you will be using your cellular data plan for Internet access, no matter where you are. Even in a campground with "free" WiFi, the bandwith is often so low as to make it unusable.
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:06 AM   #14

That's what we did. Sold the house in Md. to our daughter, and went full time looking for a place to settle. We traveled from Fl. to Ak., Me. to Ca., and many, many places in between. After 6 1/2yrs. we settled on SC.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote