Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2019, 09:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly123 View Post
Hello. Actually we are planning a trip this summer to test out an RV. So hopefully it goes well!
Since you're planning to go full-time I would really suggest you RV for 6m to 1 yr. before making the committment. Go to many RV shows and look at all of them for quality. Think it out carefully as to cost, medical insurance, etc. It's not for everyone but for those of us that it is .... it's an awesome lifestyle!! Good luck.

Noise should be waaaay down on your list!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2020, 06:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Since you're planning to go full-time I would really suggest you RV for 6m to 1 yr. before making the committment. Go to many RV shows and look at all of them for quality. Think it out carefully as to cost, medical insurance, etc. It's not for everyone but for those of us that it is .... it's an awesome lifestyle!! Good luck.

Noise should be waaaay down on your list!!

Thank you! Yeah, we have already made a rough budget and have calculated how much money we will have in a couple of years, after selling our house. We have also researched monthly medical insurance. We’ve also gone and looked at several types of RV’s at an RV dealer and in February we plan on going to a big RV show here. I’ve read MANY articles/blogs, bought 2 books, and we watch You Tube videos from many RV’ers almost every night!
Kelly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Thank you! Yeah, we have already made a rough budget and have calculated how much money we will have in a couple of years, after selling our house. We have also researched monthly medical insurance. We’ve also gone and looked at several types of RV’s at an RV dealer and in February we plan on going to a big RV show here. I’ve read MANY articles/blogs, bought 2 books, and we watch You Tube videos from many RV’ers almost every night!
I think you'll be very successful in the lifestyle!!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:13 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When you take your test trip, for the first few or several days you’ll be hearing little sounds new to you. RV sounds, wind sounds, activity sounds around you, night time animal or cultural sounds like owls or trains. Once you can identify— or somewhat identify— these sounds, It’s important how you let your brain catalog these sounds.

If you mentally catalog a sound as “ something that will keep me awake”, then that is what your brain will remember. Try to revert to a more basic animal level. “Is that sound normal or not normal?” “Is that sound a threat or not a threat”? If you can mentally catalog sounds in this way— threat/no threat, danger/no danger— it will be far easier for your brain to learn to disregard most of the background noises yet wake you up if there are two guys talking softly outside your window at 2AM.

Once you spend some time, you quickly learn to hear what’s normal and what’s not.
Good Luck!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:09 AM   #33

Watch Geezer Viz! Lol. My channel isn't popular but I'm trying!
Quote:
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
If you run the fan, or the A/C, while sleeping, you will hear nothing. Also, with curtains closed, you don't see the daylight peeking in. We sleep better in our trailer than our house
Old 01-05-2020, 03:07 PM   #35

Yep we use a fan. works great
normburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:10 PM   #36

We had a 2007 Seneca by Jayco and it was not very insulated. We heard people talking if they were near our rig. We now have a 2015 Newmar Dutch Star and the outside noises are dramatically less intrusive. Night and day better!
gsdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #37

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our S&B of 30 years is on a couple of acres and in a very quiet place. Listen to the wildlife criters at night. It's seldom a car drives by after 9pm until 7am. So any noise is very annoying to me. This fall we were camped in an RV park about 300 ft from I-95. That was rough and never got close to being use to it in three weeks. For me a TV or fan just makes it worse.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:16 PM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sleeping and outside noises

Definitely, more noise that in a brick and mortar. That said, do want to know when something or someone is poking around my rig. Do use a "small" battery operated fan on low to drown out the little noises but will of possible have a window by my head open. Still like to hear the crickets.
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:43 PM   #39

Definitely get yourself one of these sound machines at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Adaptive-Soun...p_ob_title_wld
We had a larger one at first that only ran on AC, but this one is far superior. It's small, rechargeable, & doubles as a bluetooth speaker. We leave it plugged in all the time. When we are boondocking & shut the inverter off for the night, it runs all night on the rechargeable battery, & then, during the day it recharges when the inverter is on or generator running. We've used ours most nights for over 2 years & love it. Many sound type choices & infinite sound levels. A sound machine doesn't completely block all noises, but blocks lower sounds & mutes louder noises to the point that they don't wake you. We absolutely love this machine. It's one of the best investments we've made in our 10 years of fulltime travel. We can sleep undisturbed in Walmart parking lots or in campgrounds with late night parties nearby.
freestyle_freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:49 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
can't believe I am the first to state the obvious take the hearing aids out
Kevan & Rebecca(BTW) 2009 Fleetwood PaceArrow 38P 8.1 on W24 chassis w/air bags, 1990 Goldwing 1500, 2010 Jeep Liberty, RVM#197, FMCA#F413587, FMA#7985, WCMC, 2 dogs Cody and Sadie
PappaBull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:58 PM   #41

Some form of white noise such as a radio, TV, fan, white noise machine. I love the sounds of the woods at night, love owls (not screech) whipper wills. Love the sound of rain on a metal (country boy) or fiberglass roof. Open a window and enjoy the best sounds on earth.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:22 PM   #42

We have a 2002 Newmar Dutchstar with double pane windows, which I’m sure really help. Also, the walls seem really well constructed. We are always amazed how little we hear when inside. We also boondock at race tracks, so we may be use to more noise than most! Definitely doesn’t stop the noise from trains or diesel engines (trucks seem to make more annoying noise than diesel pushers). In the end, believe it’s quality construction & double pane windows. Ear plugs and sound machines also sound like a good idea.
Dutchstar53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise