Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2020, 08:33 PM   #57

If you will be in campgrounds, you will most likely have noise of one kind or other. This is a by-product of living in community. If it is after quiet hours, usually 10 pm, you are within your right to ask the noise to be reduced, either by asking directly or going to some authority. Daytime noise is usually just tolerated because it's daytime. Unless you are in the boonies or a park off-season, you will experience noise. If you can accept that you will have close neighbors who will live differently than you, you will find that you can let a lot of the noise just go by. Good luck to you on your rving adventures!
Rollergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2020, 09:27 PM   #58

As fulltimers, one thing we quickly learned was that for for the 3-day big holidays we never parked where there was a lake, river or pool. We let the working folks have their fun and we'd move in after the holiday. We enjoyed the holiday, most often, parked on national forest lands by ourselves.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:20 AM   #59

Quiet RVing

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
As fulltimers, one thing we quickly learned was that for for the 3-day big holidays we never parked where there was a lake, river or pool. We let the working folks have their fun and we'd move in after the holiday. We enjoyed the holiday, most often, parked on national forest lands by ourselves.
The post above is great advice from experienced Full Timers:

I will add the construction of the RV especially the windows is important. Dual pane windows make a huge difference along with seals and gaskets for doors and windows. The construction and insulation in the walls as a final point.

If you are researching for the purchase of an RV it is worth checking out an older RV of higher quality that will have all of these features built in to get to the price point that you are working with.
craigbenoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:30 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
we use a sound machine (white noise machine)

we have one in the house and also in the motor home

helps to cover up my snoring also
We have a "white noise" machine, too. It is the fan on the bedroom AC, like Podivins.
OlJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:32 AM   #61

I was on a WWII sub. I was so tired most of the time I slept well. In our RV it gets noisy at times but one gets use to that night after night.
tedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:20 PM   #62

Yes
Mded40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:34 PM   #63

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
Hear any noises?

The best thing to do is to have a white noise machine or run a fan all night. Depending on where you stay, other campers can be very inconsiderate either with loud partying or just the large elevated pick up trucks going by at all hours rattling the windows. It's still better than staying in a hotel....you are in your own bed.
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:44 PM   #64

I can deal with the outside noises better than I can with the furnace coming on - LOL. In our previous life we lived near railroad tracks/crossings for over 40 years. This has made it easier for us to 'not hear' the outside noises. Some times the highway noise can be intrusive for a little while, but it soon just becomes back ground noise. Yes we will sometimes hear the people in the park that drive diesel and have to be at work at 6 am, but then I just go back to sleep. I also find that when I can't sleep that listening to a podcast on my phone with the timer set to shut off after 20 minutes is a great sleep inducer. Happy Travels
Mike_Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:54 PM   #65

White noise machine, and we cut some of that bubble foil to fit in your windows.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:30 PM   #66

My fix for this was simple. Spend a period of time in an environment where you and others are shooting firearms in close proximity to your ears, with inadequate hearing protection.

The resulting tinnitus acts as your own white noise machine as you get older.

(Huh? What?)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:37 PM   #67

To the OP...
This does not require a complicated answer.
Equate Silicone earplugs from Walmart Pharmacy. You won't hear a thing inside or outside.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:16 PM   #68

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pick where you stay. If you’re traveling the interstates, it’s convenient to stay at RV places along the way and these will be noisy from traffic and trains. Sometimes you will find an RV place, resort or park that’s a bit off the highway and depending on the time of year (holidays) will be much quieter. I like to sleep with the bedroom windows open so I can hear the sounds of noises from animals and to smell the fresh air. All the places we’ve stayed so far have had a quiet time, usually 10 PM and then no problems. That is, except for the Walmart parking lots the 2-3 times we’ve stayed at one. The noise goes on all night. I find the loud AC in our Tiffin Red hard to get used to. But if tired enough, I’ll fall asleep. Rain on the roof is awesome! If we were to upgrade to a nicer RV, we would get one with better insulation and double pane windows. We already switched out the mattress for a sleep number and that is a big improvement. Good luck in your future purchase and travels.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:58 AM   #69
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
My wife has extremely good hearing. When we're in the MH she uses a sound machine with white noise!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:27 PM   #70

Outside noise

Depends ....
In the summer if napping at the rest area, you will probably have the generator on and the AC providing with more than enough white noise.

In the winter you will probably have the dehumidifier on again providing white noise.

During perfect weather, you can use a white noise generator or camp next to a gurgling stream, just make sure you are not in a flood zone, same for the beach stay out of the tide line! The white noise generators are a boon just ask any mom with little kids!

All the best, RVs are as far from perfect as one can get and the level of service further away, but its a great hobby and a great avocation that slowly consumes your whole being! Ability to bring your own BnB hovel along is priceless and addicting and the pushers of the products know this bigly and abuse us hugely.

Tags
noise