RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
You get a lifetime lease. Entire price is returned when you give up lease. Depending on value of leasehold improvements, the cost can range from $11,500 to 65,000.

There are 299 leased lots and a waiting list of 347.
So it appears there are 11 escapees coop parks. Anybody have any experience with those? I guess the escapees forums would probably be a better place to ask specifically about that. But the other prospects on here are also interesting, keep them coming! Thank you all! This is exactly what I was looking for. I guess I should have qualified the term "cheap" when I posted. I guess I'm thinking in terms relative to a house. And I'm from the Seattle area, so most other places are "cheap", even talking houses. So the prices quoted here are right in the ballpark of what I was expecting and that is exciting.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
Check this out:" http://www.skpsaguaro.org/index.html" We have a lot here. It's a great place. When things open up, come and spend a week.
Interesting. Did you look at the other escapees coops? If so, what attracted you to this one? What's the best and worst thing about it? Thanks
Old 05-07-2020, 03:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper25 View Post
I've looked for an affordable RV lot for three years... but simply can't afford one of the expensive deals.

I just found the perfect RV lots yesterday and will post more info as soon as I get my paperwork signed.
Yes please do!
Old 05-07-2020, 04:56 PM   #18

Anyone looking for a home base in the SW should check out Saguaro Benson AZ. The downsides I saw were lack of a pool/spa and no sidewalks outside the park. The clubhouse and other common facilities were top notch. Great mountain views and access to walking trails. Very friendly, diverse community.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:59 PM   #19

If you look on the Escapees web site you will find links to all the Escapee Rainbow parks and also the Coop parks. Each one is completely different in looks and amenities.

Here is Saguaro in Benson, AZ. It's a very active, friendly park. No, it doesn't have a pool if that's important to you. It's in a rural-type area on a state highway so no, no sidewalks outside the park. It's an easy day trip into Tucson and if you're into outdoor activities there's 4-wheeling, birding, hiking, siteseeing in the area and group activities for these from the park itself.

Home
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:25 PM   #20
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We own a lot in an "ownership RV park" in south TX. We have a 3,000 sq ft lot that we actually own and on it we have a small casita with heat/AC that serves as a sewing and TV room. We also have a storage shed attached to the casita. Prices start at ~$45k plus structures and additional concrete pads. HOA fees are ~$30/mo and taxes are ~$700/yr. There are plenty of unsold lots. PM me if you are interested.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
We own a lot in an "ownership RV park" in south TX. We have a 3,000 sq ft lot that we actually own and on it we have a small casita with heat/AC that serves as a sewing and TV room. We also have a storage shed attached to the casita. Prices start at ~$45k plus structures and additional concrete pads. HOA fees are ~$30/mo and taxes are ~$700/yr. There are plenty of unsold lots. PM me if you are interested.
We will probably be interested in coming to look at those this winter or spring. Iíll PM you then if that is still our plan, thanks!
Old 05-09-2020, 12:53 PM   #22
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
We will probably be interested in coming to look at those this winter or spring. Iíll PM you then if that is still our plan, thanks!
That's fine. To clarify one thing, I referred to the park as being in south TX. A better term might be "coastal TX". It's in Rockport.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #23

Check out https://www.shyrockmt.com
Old 05-10-2020, 05:48 PM   #24

If you even remotely consider buying in Texas, then why not make that your home state? If you plan to own a lot, SD probably won't be your choice state resulting in another transfer.
Also, it's human nature to want to own a site, but that will limit your travels. The freedom of full timing is to spend winters in different parks and seasonal rates are usually reasonable. We have spent winters in FL, TX, and AZ and they all have their good points.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:26 PM   #25
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Also, it's human nature to want to own a site, but that will limit your travels. The freedom of full timing is to spend winters in different parks and seasonal rates are usually reasonable. We have spent winters in FL, TX, and AZ and they all have their good points.
You've defined one approach to full-timing that appeals to you. Not everyone has the same approach; there is no "approved" definition.

My wife and I have been full-timing for more than 9 years and we have always enjoyed coming back to the same area each winter. We're not the kind of people who find our recreation activities at RV parks. That's great if you are, but we much rather do things in the local community. By returning to the same metro area we have been able to make lasting friendships and involve ourselves in continuing activities.

Obviously, what works for us doesn't work for you and that's fine. But I think it's best that new full-timers understand that they can define their own approach and don't have to do things because others say "that's what full-timers do."

With respect to your comments about where to domicile if you own a piece of property, we are legal residents of SD who happen to own a property in TX and whose MH is registered in MT, all of which is entirely legal.

Joel (AKA docj)
Old 05-10-2020, 06:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
You've defined one approach to full-timing that appeals to you. Not everyone has the same approach; there is no "approved" definition.

My wife and I have been full-timing for more than 9 years and we have always enjoyed coming back to the same area each winter. We're not the kind of people who find our recreation activities at RV parks. That's great if you are, but we much rather do things in the local community. By returning to the same metro area we have been able to make lasting friendships and involve ourselves in continuing activities.

Obviously, what works for us doesn't work for you and that's fine. But I think it's best that new full-timers understand that they can define their own approach and don't have to do things because others say "that's what full-timers do."

With respect to your comments about where to domicile if you own a piece of property, we are legal residents of SD who happen to own a property in TX and whose MH is registered in MT, all of which is entirely legal.

Joel (AKA docj)

Yes, I totally agree with what you said and I'm just pointing out another viewpoint to consider. We volunteer all over the US and are often asked why we don't come back to repeat? Our response is if we did repeats, we would not have discovered the place we are now at! It's that desire to discover what lies over the next mountain that keeps some people going.

For us Texas seems logical since we seem to pass through TX at least once every year, even though a return is not required. Someday I figure we will become regular Winter Texans with a park model.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
.... I guess I should have qualified the term "cheap" when I posted. I guess I'm thinking in terms relative to a house. And I'm from the Seattle area, so most other places are "cheap", even talking houses. So the prices quoted here are right in the ballpark of what I was expecting and that is exciting.
Why just settle for one. I have four.

Have a lot in Ocean Shores, WA. There is a 90 limit per year for parking a RV. Nice place for taking a walk.

My yacht club in eastern Washington State has a campground. Good place when you have had enough of rain. Nice place for taking a walk.

Have a house in Henderson NV with RV parking. Tenants call me dad and get bedtime hugs from a 3 yo when there. Good investment and exit strategy when can not RV anymore. Nice place for taking a walk.

Have lot in Shreveport parking in front of MIL single wide. First project when I retired was to fix it up up for her. Everyone said it could not be done. They were right. Nice place for taking a walk.

So I have four places that I like to be depending on the time of year. I am always looking for new places to buy when traveling.

There are some hard choices. Do I see our beautiful going clockwise or counter clockwise? Two rules. No snow unless it is seen from a distance. No biting insects.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Why just settle for one. I have four.

Have a lot in Ocean Shores, WA. There is a 90 limit per year for parking a RV. Nice place for taking a walk.

My yacht club in eastern Washington State has a campground. Good place when you have had enough of rain. Nice place for taking a walk.

Have a house in Henderson NV with RV parking. Tenants call me dad and get bedtime hugs from a 3 yo when there. Good investment and exit strategy when can not RV anymore. Nice place for taking a walk.

Have lot in Shreveport parking in front of MIL single wide. First project when I retired was to fix it up up for her. Everyone said it could not be done. They were right. Nice place for taking a walk.

So I have four places that I like to be depending on the time of year. I am always looking for new places to buy when traveling.

There are some hard choices. Do I see our beautiful going clockwise or counter clockwise? Two rules. No snow unless it is seen from a distance. No biting insects.
I guess buying multiple is an option, but at this stage, I'm really just looking for our 1st, which I wasn't going to do for a while but am accelerating that a bit, just because we've all been shown the value of somewhere to retreat to lately. We've been fortunate the thousand trails we are at is letting us stay, and we'd have probably found something if we had to leave, but at a little more risk of exposing ourselves to the virus. We do have the strong desire to go travel right now, and I know our exit strategy is to buy something down the road so to speak. I'm just moving that up a bit in the timeline. Given we have an elite thousand trails membership I don't see the point in owning more than one property at this point, but as docj so eloquently put, there really are no rules and everyone does it different due to different desires, goals, finances etc. I did see something resembling some empty lots bordered by vegetation in ocean shores WA, south of the city. Is that where you have a lot? What are the financials of this? thanks