Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2021, 12:54 PM   #1

South Dakota- claiming of residence/mail service?

Any information regarding South Dakota claiming as a residence and providing mail service? We will be full time RV-ing in a couple months for the next 12-24 until we purchase a new home(once we decide where). Any information would be appreciated.
Donald/ Foretravel Realm
Shane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2021, 05:27 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
congratulation on going full time.
My wife and I started 3 years ago and we changed our residence to SD. We used a company call "your best address".
You can review all your options for residency, vehicle registration, and mail service, on their web site.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:25 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We went with Dakota Post when we went full time. They were excellent in helping us get our residence there. They have tons of info and actually get vehicle registration, titles and plates for you. We registered to vote and got drivers license's also. They are so helpful when we call to see what is in our mail box and then mail it to us. Check them out.....

https://www.dakotapost.net/

Safe travels
Dave
Old 01-04-2021, 10:25 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
We use America’s Mailbox out of Box Elder which borders Rapid City. Very helpful and friendly. Recommend them highly for mail, vehicle registration, etc.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:56 AM   #5

Escapees RV Club has a system to use either Texas, South Dakota or Florida for residency. The only mail you get using a SD or FL address would be your vehicle registrations. All else goes through Texas. It's a great organization and their mail service is extremely reliable and awesome with modern equipment just like a post office. We used them through Texas for approx. 20 years.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhinds View Post
We went with Dakota Post when we went full time. They were excellent in helping us get our residence there. They have tons of info and actually get vehicle registration, titles and plates for you. We registered to vote and got drivers license's also. They are so helpful when we call to see what is in our mail box and then mail it to us. Check them out.....

https://www.dakotapost.net/

Safe travels
Dave
We also use your best Address. We are perfectly satisfied.We went to the county courthouse (Minnehaha county) in Sioux Falls with a receipt for 2 days from a RV park. All taken care of in less than an hour.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:03 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
As My tag says ..SD resident in all respects..
Simple, straight forward experience.
Vehicle renewals can be done in person, online or by phone, Absentee voting is just as easy.
NO INCOME TAX, and low sales taxes.. So move to SD then spend your time in states that do not have a sales tax...win win
Escapees have all the information You will need to become a "SoDak"..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:55 PM   #8

South Dakota address

We are in michigan and will still keep a northern mich. home we use several months a year will this cause a problem with a south Dakota address .We also have a vintage car do you think it should be registered in SD as well, it currently has a non expiring historic Michigan plate on it and will be stored at the home in michigan.

2000 American Eagle
sledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:35 PM   #9

Personally I think you are playing with fire. I know there are those who disagree as is their right. Lets examine your situation. You currently live in Michigan and own real property in Michigan. I don't see you planning on purchasing real property anywhere else. Will your doctors, dentists, lawyer, accountant, church etc. remain in Michigan? You are even contemplating keeping a car registered in Michigan. Your concern is not what South Dakota or any other state will allow you to do. Your concern is will the State of Michigan believe that your domicile has changed to South Dakota. My feeling is they will not. Why, because your domicile is the place to which you intend to return. In your original post you stated that you will be maintaining a home in Michigan and returning there for several months each year. This is a facts and circumstances test. The mere fact that you will be spending more time in Michigan every year than anywhere else is pretty much dispositive of this issue in my mind. Please be aware that there both criminal and civil tax penalties attached to this decision. Before you do anything I would consult with an attorney well versed in taxation in Michigan and take their advice. As I have said here and elsewhere - if you want to change your domicile you really need to change your domicile. You don't appear to be doing that.
You might want to take a look at this form:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Michigan Domicile Questionnaire Form 3799.pdf (188.4 KB, 13 views)
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:55 PM   #10

Shane1......sledhead

Whose thread is this?

Shane1....check out the Escapees Service for SD
https://www.escapees.com/education/domicile/
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:05 PM   #11

Oops my bad. My above answer is really to Sledhead's post. My appologies Shane 1.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:06 AM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Escapees RV Club has a system to use either Texas, South Dakota or Florida for residency. The only mail you get using a SD or FL address would be your vehicle registrations. All else goes through Texas. It's a great organization and their mail service is extremely reliable and awesome with modern equipment just like a post office. We used them through Texas for approx. 20 years.
Umm... We were cautioned to include changing our banking/investments, insurance, medical,
Club affiliations [Eagles/Elks etc] to SD. And using the SD address for billing purposes if buying online so that it agrees with our banking
To represent our becoming a true SD resident, This will insure that there are no "gray areas" if audited by the Fed [or our former state residency]and meets the Fed's requirements for the "Real ID" Poo Bah's.
Our family/personal mail is sent direct to TX.tho.
Side benefit to joining Escapees is their list of SKP campgrounds all over the country.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #13

Here are a couple articles on domicile and South Dakota, Florida, Texas:

https://www.escapees.com/south-dakot...ile-advantage/

.... and if using Escapees.... "What will my address be" (2nd topic):

https://www.escapees.com/mail-servic...l-service-faq/
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:05 PM   #14

Generally speaking the key criteria for residency is what is called the 183 day rule. What that means is that if you are present in your state, Michigan, for 183 days or more is that you would be considered to be a Michigan resident. You have to be careful with this rule because some states take a very strict look at what constitutes being present in the state. For example, you go into your former state at 11:59 PM and leave your state at 12:01 AM, you may be construed to be in your state for two days.

The key to residency is being able to document your residency. That’s the biggest problem we have encountered when we have tried to defend clients who have gone through the residency audits. Most taxation auditors will only accept something from a third party as proof of residency. The last one we went through with NYS had an auditor who went through the client’s credit card statements and said that any dates with no charges in Florida were days that he was in NY. The burden of proof in residency audits is always on the taxpayer.

As I tell clients who move out of NY but maintain real estate here, you must document, document and document.

Tags
service