Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:15 AM   #1

SRW or DRW for Full Timing

My lovely wife and I have decided to move up from our TT to a 5er and go full time. This will require upgrading from a ˝ ton truck to a 1 ton. We are undecided as to a SRW or DRW. We have not decided on a 5er yet, but do have it narrowed down to a few that we like so far. We intend to keep the weight at no more than 15,500 wet which would make the pin weight approximately 3,100. We understand that we should find the 5er we like first and buy the truck accordingly. Depending on what we settle on for a 5th wheel the SRW/DRW question may be a moot point.

The first year we will likely be in “vacation mode” (although we will try to minimize that) and probably move every 2-4 weeks, maybe less. After that we would mainly spend the summers in Colorado, Montana, Idaho, etc. and the winters in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, and maybe Florida. Basically, find one or two campgrounds we like to stay in for the summer and one or two for the winter.

Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of SRW vs DRW, as I see it.

SRW Advantages: Easier to park, less expensive to replace tires, more pleasant and convenient to drive as a daily driver when seeing the local sights.

SRW Disadvantages: Limited on tow capacity.

DRW Advantages: Tow capacity is not an issue.

DRW Disadvantages: More difficult to park, more expensive to replace tires, not a convenient daily driver to see the local sights.

So my questions are:

Is anyone full timing with an SRW within the weight class stated above?

Do you wish you had gone with a DRW?

Are there any advantages/disadvantages not stated above?

Is fuel mileage any different between an SRW and DRW?

My tow vehicle of choice at this point is a 2014 RAM 3500, CC, 8’ bed, 4x4, Cummins in either SRW or DRW. I haven’t pulled the trigger on anything yet and would consider other options.

Thanks in advance for any constructive input.
Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #2

Always buy the trailer 1st before you buy a truck. That way you know 100% sure what you need to tow.

You can not go wrong with any of the new trucks as all frames and engines have been beefed up.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:25 AM   #3

I had the same decision to make about a month ago. We don't move our 5er much so we went with the SRW '14 Duramax. We wanted the better DD capabilities of the SRW as well as the additional couple MPG it typically gets. However, the DRW is more stable while pulling. I have towed numerous times (military) with both the DRW and SRW, so I knew what I was getting into. You have to be more "engaged" while towing with the SRW. If that's not an issue with you, I'd save the $$$ and go for the SRW. Good luck.
usafmsgt7594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:38 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Always err on the safe side when the family comes into play, go with the DRW you'll thank yourself in the long run with less stress while towing the 5th wheel because of the more stable ride. Can't see your reasoning on the disadvantages of the DRW it's still the same length as the SRW, and the duals are no wider then the width of your mirrors so parking will be no issue, or using it as a daily driver.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:58 AM   #5

If your travels are minimal SRW will work but if you are going to put on a lot of miles pulling nothing will compare with DRW.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:12 AM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
For full time use and towing you cannot beat a dually for towing.

Once you experiences the extra stability of a dually, you will never go back to a single.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:12 AM   #7

If you had a chance to hitch a ride in either one you would feel the difference. Especially in adverse weather (wind, rain, snow) and hilly conditions.
I wouldn't say replacing tires on a dually is that much more costly, I drive easily 60 000 - 70 000 mls with a set of tires but when you buy a new truck upgrade the tires, I didn't .
A rough ride can be overcome by adding an air ride system, I just learned through this forum that Ram is offering this now .
Good Luck
Old 05-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Several years ago the wife and I bought a truck and 5th wheel package. The truck was a 06 F350 SRW KR, nice truck. All was great never had a problem towing through the hills of WVA. PA. & MD. Was very happy with the rig and told many people SRW was ok.
One afternoon we were on our way home from Ohiopyle PA. on route 68 coming down Sidling Hill in a rain storm and a NICE LADY in a white Honda jumped in front of us and slammed on the brakes. No other cars in site, go figure. The rear of the truck let loose and we began to jack knife, as I hit the trailer brakes to regain control my wife woke up and freaked out. I said every thing is ok and explained what had happened. She ask what fixes this problem I said a dully. Two days latter she comes home and said there is a nice dully at the local Ford used car lot you need to see.Two weeks later we had a 2011 F350 dully.
The difference in towing between the two trucks is amazing, I'll never go back.
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #9

With advice from about 7 snowbirds at the RV park I started with a dually. Western Pa. is where I spend a lot of my summer. I was towing from Rt. 70 to Route 66 heading east on 70 then north on Rt 66.

To know this area there is an exit to the Pa. turnpike, then very soon after the exit for Rt. 66 north. It is a real sharp entry access curve. Well to make a long story short I was going to fast for this sharp exit as it really came up quick after the turnpike exit.

Well I turned the truck onto the sharp ramp and right around it and onto Rt. 66 I went. I did not slip or get push by the trailer off the ramp.

When I told a friend about it he said that is what a dually truck does. It keeps you out of a lot of trouble.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:09 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
I just traded my 03 Ram SRW in on a 14 Ram DRW and I can tell you that I used to feel like I was in a boxing match after 4 hours of mountains and rough roads in PA. Just got back after 5 days upstate and I forgot the camper was even back there.
inspecterbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:08 AM   #11

Thanks for the replies. It just so happens I was at Home Depot the other day a saw a guy getting into a 14 RAM CC Long Bed Dually with a B&W hitch. We had a long talk. A dually it is. I will probably wait for the 2015s to hit the lot and start shopping for a 2014, unless they come out with something on the 15 I can't live without.
Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote