Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #1

Question Stationary full-timers

I have been wondering something... What type of maintanence would you do to your home on wheels to make sure that when you wanted it to roll again there isn't any mechanical problems, like axles, wheel, rubber, hitches.

We are looking at upgrading our travel trailer to a toyhauler fifth wheel (we want the garage for crafting, sewing, woodworking and hopefully making a mobile business), but don't have the finances to buy truck and trailer at the same time....
So if we bought the trailer first it wouldn't be moving for a couple years, I know this sounds crazy but we have already figured out that after our previous marriages and one of us with a heart problem, the other with a muscle disability, we wont be able to afford buying a stick-n-bricks house, and we don't really want to be stuck in one anyway, we want to go when we are able too. The problem is our current truck wont haul a big fiver and our current trailer is too small for what we want to do. But I do want to have a small income/business before the other half retires in 15 years.

I know it crazy! Any and all ideas are great, just be gentle plz
Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #2

We live full time in a 5er and have been looking at a motorhome to travel more with but still have the 5er as a basecamp. The wife retired at the end of the year and I might work a couple of more years then we have an amusement park and campground for extra income. We have a few houses at the park and an apartment but are using them to pay off everything in 5 years. Get creative our campground has several fulltimers that are working or going to school. Lots of work in our area
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #3

If you won't be moving it for a couple of years, you might want to put it up on blocks so that the tires are off of the ground. Removing the wheels and storing them indoors would be even better.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #4

Like Joel said, get off the ground on blocks. There are tie-downs that are used on mobile homes (trailer houses) that I would use in each corner. Plus skirting. Place the footers 2 feet apart to prevent frame warp. Keep it as level as possible. If you have the time and money, I would also build a carport-like shelter over the top to prevent sun and hail damage to the roof. You can store the tires under the trailer off the ground (pallet or the like). Use rust preventative on the wheel studs. Back off the brake shoes so they will not rust to the drums. Then, move in and enjoy life to the fullest.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #5

We just picked up a beautiful old motorhome for next to nothing. The guy made long trips days a month then parked it indoors and plugged in for the last 12 years. Thank you NASCAR this guy really took care of it. So for short trips less than a few weeks we'll take it then take the 5th wheel for longer ones
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote