Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2018, 09:56 PM   #1

Staying where it is cold Nov thru Mar.

My DW wants to go full time. I am luke warm to the idea. We have property in the Pa. mountains where we can stay in the summer but the winters are too snowy and cold.

In the winter we would move to Virgina for 1.5 winter months then to N.Carolina for 2 winter months. The reason is my DW has family / friends in those two states. My family / friends are in Pa.

Anyway, it gets cold in Virginia and N. Carolina eastern section in the winter. Those areas areas may even get snow.

Just wondering if anyone stays in Viginia or N. Carolina in the winter and if so, what trailer do you have and what do you do to prepare.

I know of a campground in Viginia where people stay all winter so I know it can be done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 10:27 PM   #2

You're going to spend a LOT of $$$ on propane for heat no matter what RV you have. You'll need to keep your pipes from getting frozen. Double pane windows help but you'll get steamy and sometimes icy windows. Cover them with insulated foil stuff and then you can't see out.

I'd head farther south if I were you. Invite the family to spend some time with you. They'll probably be glad to get out of that weather.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:16 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
My DW wants to go full time. I am luke warm to the idea. We have property in the Pa. mountains where we can stay in the summer but the winters are too snowy and cold.

In the winter we would move to Virgina for 1.5 winter months then to N.Carolina for 2 winter months. The reason is my DW has family / friends in those two states. My family / friends are in Pa.

Anyway, it gets cold in Virginia and N. Carolina eastern section in the winter. Those areas areas may even get snow.

Just wondering if anyone stays in Viginia or N. Carolina in the winter and if so, what trailer do you have and what do you do to prepare.

I know of a campground in Viginia where people stay all winter so I know it can be done.

Look into the ArticFox trailers. They are designed for cold weather use.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:46 AM   #4

For years we went to Florida but missed family and friends that still work. If we can tough it out in Virginia and North Carolina we can see family a lot more. Darn grand daughters now...

I do not think we would get many deep freezes and the ones we would get would be short. More likely to try to stay warm with electric blankets, electric fireplace and one oscillating electric heater. Running the propane furnace on occasion.

Buying an Artic Fox is not out of the question.

Again, the DW is all for this idea. I am just luke warm to this idea.

It is not like we are staying in Ohio or Michigan during the winter. Virgina and N. Carolina to me is very doable.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:45 PM   #5

You should be able to winterize the RV by covering the windows and vents. The best option is if you see the weather turning bad just make a run South for a couple of weeks until the weather passes.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:49 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Staying where it is cold Nov thru Mar.

Tuffr2..... we lived in Raleigh for five years before we retired, and we’ve done two winters there since we started full timing. We’re in a Dutch Star DP, so possibly better set for cold weather than a lot of TTs. We use two small electric ceramic heaters to supplement.
Winters there do get mildly cold, but not consistently arctic. Maybe 40s-50s daytime, dipping below freezing overnight sometime. Short spells of colder, but rarely very cold, and rarely snowing.

If you stay in an RV Park you’ll have electric for heat, but below about 40 propane is far more efficient than heat pumps. Probably smart to arrange locally for an external large propane tank- about 50 gal- so you don’t have to refill often. Remember also, your propane furnace feeds some warm air to the water Bay Area, forestalling freezing.
As I said, we did two winters, and we were comfy.
When you start talking VA, unless you’re way down by the NC state line, you’re talking about real winter. We lived in Fairfax, near DC, some years ago. It gets cold and they have snow. I would consider winter RV living there ill advised.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #7

Let's see, I own property in Pa. I am thinking Apr, May, June, July, Aug, Sept, half of Oct. Then half Oct, Nov, Dec in Va. about 25 miles south of the Maryland border. Then N.C. along the coast Jan, Feb and March. Jan, Feb will be the worse months I think.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #8

Some winters are mild and some are harsh, weather is still unpredictable farther than 2 weeks out. Just be prepared for the worst
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:23 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We spent Jan-Mar this year in Richmond Va at Americamps Rv Park. Had 3 snow days (1-4 inches) and many nights below freezing including several in January in the 0 to 15 degree range. Preparations depend very much on your rig and there was a large variety of units in the campground. The "vacation" travel trailers with exposed waste tanks and single pane windows needed skirts, heat lamps or halogen lights inside the skirt area, and insulated window covers. Fifth wheels usually needed spot heat inside the basement depending on how well insulated they were. There were fewer motorhomes in the park and I think their preparations were more like the fifth wheel trailers. We did see a number of units with "glaciers" underneath from ruptured water lines in the basement. Our rig is pretty well insulated but I had to hang two trouble lights (with old school 100 watt bulbs) in the wet bay (with bubble foil insulation on the walls) plus one near the water pump intake fitting in the basement water tank. Propane furnace kept us warm even down to -2 degrees - it also put some heat in the basement to protect water lines.

We had family obligations that necessitated a stay in Virginia. Normally we much prefer something warmer in the winter such as SC, FL or Arizona.

The "vacation" trailers had the toughest time coping with Jan and Feb low temps - must have been like living in a cave because most of the time they had to keep the windows covered up inside. Units rated "snowbird" or "full-time" fared much better and their owners had to make fewer compromises with their lifestyle.

There were several Grand Design Trailers (Reflection and Imagine models) with arctic insulation packages. They did well - no skirts and I didn't see any lights underneath - none had "glaciers" either. No Arctic Fox trailers at the campground while we were there.
2Escapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:34 AM   #10

2Escapees - thanks for that info.

Last winter was colder than normal for Va. with a lot more snow. Good job getting thru it. We are planning on staying about 60 miles east of Richmond. And for Nov and Dec. only then onto North Carolina around Sneads Ferry, Top Sail area for Jan, Feb and Mar. Probably Apr in Va. Then May thru Oct in Pa.

Interesting you mention the Grand Design units. I am putting them on my radar. I heard from other sources they are good trailers.

Again thanks for that insight.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:29 PM   #11

If you run electric heat instead of propane heat, you may increase the risk of lines and tanks freezing in your RV.

For example: In an Airstream, which is strictly a 3-season RV, the propane heat runs warm air around the tanks and around the plumbing to help prevent it from freezing. In such an RV, running electric heat leaves those tanks and lines out in the cold.

So, before deciding electric heat is the way to go because it saves $$$ on propane, check out the specifics of how your RV is designed and built, and whether this might be an issue.

As for us, with our Airstream the best way to handle a cold winter is to move south!
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:27 PM   #12

Check this out
https://www.mcdonaldinjurylaw.com/bl...ric-snowfalls/

That is only the top 10

https://www.richmond.com/news/virgin...3fd6c79bd.html
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:19 AM   #13

Artic Fox, Newmar, any of the true full time full season rigs will handle the PA winter easily. I went through winter in MN with a Newmar Kountry Aire 5th wheel. Piece of cake. Never froze up and stayed 68 in there all winter with 2 furnaces. 40lb propane bottle every 5-6 days. so 150-160 a month in propane. Not bad I don't think.

Propane for the furnace and a small dehumidifier to keep it dryer. Helps windows alot
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

Simple solution would be to Travel in the Winter - That's why they call it Full Time - Head south or SouthWest where it will be slightly Milder. -

Great time to explore as there are fewer people and the sights are still Great. -

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote