RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
I highly recommend the Escapees program.

We are Escapees as well but domiciled in SD. [no income taxes and a lower sales tax]

The reason was that with the size of our coach I would have to get the Class B non commercial drivers license and have the coach inspected each year in TX....
I had a CDL and it's predecessor (chauffeurs License) for over 50 years..
When I retired.... I said NO MORE hoops to jump thru..
If anyone can't pass the Class B requirements for a coach - or Class A if towing something above 10K pounds - then THEY SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING THAT SIZED RIG! Written test is 20 questions, you have to get 14 correct. Just read the manuals over a couple of times and do the practice tests. Driving test is about 20-30 minutes long, nothing complicated, just make sure to look each way TWICE when at a stop light and that means turning your head, and that's it. Again, if someone can't pass that test, they have no business driving a large coach down the road!

Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 09:29 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
If anyone can't pass the Class B requirements for a coach - or Class A if towing something above 10K pounds - then THEY SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING THAT SIZED RIG! Written test is 20 questions, you have to get 14 correct. Just read the manuals over a couple of times and do the practice tests. Driving test is about 20-30 minutes long, nothing complicated, just make sure to look each way TWICE when at a stop light and that means turning your head, and that's it. Again, if someone can't pass that test, they have no business driving a large coach down the road!
I have to agree with Barbararaok. It is not hard to get the Class A or B license. We have been full time for7 years and see plenty of people driving rigs that are way beyond their driving ability.

As for cost to insure the rig, it totally depends on where you decide to domicile. The Escapees are based in Polk county and they are very RV friendly. Insurance rates a less than nearby Harris county (Houston).

We have been members of Escapees for about 8 years and use their mail forwarding with our Escapees address and they do a fantastic job.

The Texas Domicile was easy for use as we are native Texans and already settled there. It was a simple matter of an address change for the mail and drivers license.

Hope you get to settle soon.

Ken

Old 08-01-2020, 12:19 PM   #17

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
If You are trying to insult me...Nice try, BUT NO CIGAR....
After 55 years of holding a CDL/Chauffeurs license and having exceeded 5.5 million safe Miles.
I am fairly confident that I would NOT have ANY problem passing the written or the driving Tests.. nor have any problem with the coach passing the annual inspections.
1) I DO NOT Like Texass weather,bugs,humidity or their holier than thou government officialdom specifically their RR commission, Texas law enforcement/DOT that I've had to deal with continuously with the super loads I've transported to/from/and thru the state.

I have had enough of drivers license endorsements,permits, physicals, and The Government "thumb" on me, and all the rest..
I AM RETIRED...NO MORE.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:15 PM   #18

I think that Barb's point is valid in that choosing a state for a domicile should not be influenced due to the licenses endorsement being required. I'm sure that "saddlesore" can handle any RV out there and can get the endorsement to be legal. Someday his skills along with my driving skills will fade and retesting will monitor that.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:08 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Saddlesore,

The reason you gave in your post was that
"he reason was that with the size of our coach I would have to get the Class B non commercial drivers license and have the coach inspected each year in TX....
I had a CDL and it's predecessor (chauffeurs License) for over 50 years..
When I retired.... I said NO MORE hoops to jump thru.."

You listed having to get the enhanced driver's license. I was explaining that that was not a valid reason to eliminate a state because it is so simple to pass (IIRC you can use your valid CDL as evidence to get the enhanced license without the tests) that worrying about passing it is absurd if you know how to handle your rig. Also, you also mentioned the yearly inspection as another reason - not needed when you are out-of-state. Our coach hasn't been inspected in 6 years. During the winter when we visit our daughter for Christmas, we just drive the car over or fly.

Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas