Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-20-2021, 02:02 AM   #141

Pepper2

We like Mission, Texas as well but most of those places east of Corpus Christi appear flat and ugly with almost no trees or hills anywhere. It reminds me of the Everglades so unless you are looking to be near the ocean at any cost I don’t understand why people like to winter un that area.
ColoradoRFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2021, 08:37 AM   #142

Looks like those Mission Tx places don't have Wifi.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:24 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Looks like those Mission Tx places don't have Wifi.
Actually, the first RV Park I looked up just for curiosity includes free wifi and cable. Mission does look like a nice option if we don’t like the Corpus Christi area. My husband and I are newbies at flying south for the winter. We’re just attracted to the coast for some reason. May or may not like that area.
Lineka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:49 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineka View Post
Mission does look like a nice option if we donít like the Corpus Christi area. My husband and I are newbies at flying south for the winter. Weíre just attracted to the coast for some reason. May or may not like that area.
If you're new, I'd really suggest you spend 2 weeks or a month at one place and then move to another. RV parks and areas are always so different from another. If you don't like it you're stuck for the season.

Mission isn't on the coast and it's just a big city if you like that kind of environment. Corpus Christi is industrial and can be smelly from petroleum refineries.

The best are Rockport, Port Aransas areas.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:03 AM   #145

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Personally, I'd consider SE such as Lake Livingston near the Sam Houston National Forest. The coast is great but staying east is a whole lot more green.
TexasJeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:24 AM   #146

We stayed in South Padre Island at Isla Blanca county park last December. Lots of winter Texans there, walking distance to the beach, restaurants near by, and the SpaceX launch pad is about 5 miles across the port channel.
SergioP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 01:36 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If you're new, I'd really suggest you spend 2 weeks or a month at one place and then move to another. RV parks and areas are always so different from another. If you don't like it you're stuck for the season.

Mission isn't on the coast and it's just a big city if you like that kind of environment. Corpus Christi is industrial and can be smelly from petroleum refineries.

The best are Rockport, Port Aransas areas.
Thatís the truth about rv parks being so different as are the opinions and personal preferences regarding these rv parks. LOL

I know Mission is not by the coast which is why I said it was nice to have options if it turns out we donít like the Corpus Christi area.

I think weíll just wing it and start our reconnaissance in September and take our chances. Thank you for your input.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:40 PM   #148

Winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
Personally, I'd consider SE such as Lake Livingston near the Sam Houston National Forest. The coast is great but staying east is a whole lot more green.
My husband and I are from N Idaho and absolutely love our green, mountainous, evergreen state. So my question is, what kind of winters can you expect in Livingston? That might be a great summer destination but not sure that would work for us in the winter. 🤔
Old 07-20-2021, 01:54 PM   #149

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have not done Southern TX in the winter. But have done mid TX. Dallas, Huston, Austin San Antonio. I have seen snow, temps into the high 20's. Last year they had the big freeze and they could not keep th ed lights on.

But friends that do Brownsville tell me it nice and warm all the time.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:09 PM   #150

Quote:
My husband and I are from N Idaho and absolutely love our green, mountainous, evergreen state. So my question is, what kind of winters can you expect in Livingston? That might be a great summer destination but not sure that would work for us in the winter. 🤔
Livingston is cold in winter.... not a destination at that time of year. They get ice storms, also.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:59 AM   #151

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
As mentioned, Texas can get cold in the winter. Nothing like Idaho (or Iowa - my DWs place of birth). We do get and have ice storms. Heck just this past winter a freak storm pushed south to us and we hit 0 degrees.

But we also have 80 degree Christmases. The DW and I put in to Goliad for New Years a couple years back and we had sunny 80 degree days and it was a wonderful New Years. We live in the Austin hill-country and our weather is not nearly as extreme as the plains (Dallas- Ft. Worth). The coast can and does get dreary and rainy but the gulf moderates the temperature some.

So, for me, I'd put my bet on SE Texas any time. But there is simply no guarantee about our weather. We have a saying "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute."
TexasJeff is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas, winter