Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2021, 02:45 PM   #15

One needs to keep in mind that every winter will not be the same. Some south Texas winters have been very cold and extremely windy. You can't plan on the weather.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2021, 04:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You can't plan on the weather.
Yes, you can. At home in Minnesota during January or February, if you let the dog outside when he's wet, he's gonna freeze right to the porch floor.

But, point taken. You play the odds, and you takes your chances.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:21 PM   #17

I think there is going to be a large influx of "non-locals" in S. Tejas very soon.
I'm not talking about Snowbirds.
Just do your research beforehand.

Oh, and the Ruby Red grapefruits are to die for.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:34 PM   #18

Foretravel Owners Club
We are spending the winter in Rio Hondo, TX..It is 20 miles north of Brownsville and 15/20 miles from the coast.. Quiet and secure over 55 park 30a & 50a.. short palm trees in the park, so satellite works good...WiFi not so much....
Far enough from the coast that You don't get very much of the effects of a sea breeze..
Oh Ya,, also a pair of squirrels nesting in a really tall Palm Tree on the parameter...entertaining

Twin Palms Resort

$385 + electricity
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:37 PM   #19

Thank you. Valuable info for those of us not familiar with the area.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:01 PM   #20

We stay at Mission Texas. This is our 5th year. Cheaper than most places to winter. There is a lot of restaurants and shopping in the Rio Grande Valley as it is a large metropolitan area. I would suggest to get away from the coast, as I have seen it many times at South Padre island 10-15 degrees cooler than Mission and McAllen which is about one hour inland, depending if the wind is blowing off the gulf or not. There are many RV parks in the valley. Some will have a lot of activities and some less so. I have never seen it freezing at night and this year we have only seen 36 degrees about 3 nights. A reason I chose this area to spend the winter is the weather. I went back many years on historical weather data and done a spreadsheet of averages of several wintering spots and found the Rio Grande Valley to be about the warmest. We have found it a very safe area and my wife has said she feels very safe. As for the illegals, there isn’t a problem with you staying in the valley. I have first hand knowledge as we are about one mile from the Rio Grande River and I can see a section of the new wall from the RV. We will see the border patrol stop illegals along the road once in a while, but that is all. After spending seven winters in Key West, we really enjoy being a winter Texan.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:57 AM   #21

I've been in Rockport for the last 3 months. Most weeks the temps are in the "70's, and only a few days where its been 50's. It's only 10 miles to the Beach, and I Bike out there often. There are over 90 RV parks in the area. I one I'm in has concrete pads, a heated saltwater pool, HDtv, wifi, for 475 a month. I spent last winter in the RGV, and while nice, I got tired of the constant wind, and the rundown towns.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:21 AM   #22

Wintering in Rio Grande Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanmark View Post
We stay at Mission Texas. This is our 5th year. Cheaper than most places to winter. There is a lot of restaurants and shopping in the Rio Grande Valley as it is a large metropolitan area. I would suggest to get away from the coast, as I have seen it many times at South Padre island 10-15 degrees cooler than Mission and McAllen which is about one hour inland, depending if the wind is blowing off the gulf or not. There are many RV parks in the valley. Some will have a lot of activities and some less so. I have never seen it freezing at night and this year we have only seen 36 degrees about 3 nights. A reason I chose this area to spend the winter is the weather. I went back many years on historical weather data and done a spreadsheet of averages of several wintering spots and found the Rio Grande Valley to be about the warmest. We have found it a very safe area and my wife has said she feels very safe. As for the illegals, there isn’t a problem with you staying in the valley. I have first hand knowledge as we are about one mile from the Rio Grande River and I can see a section of the new wall from the RV. We will see the border patrol stop illegals along the road once in a while, but that is all. After spending seven winters in Key West, we really enjoy being a winter Texan.
X2.
We've been coming here for the winter now 3yrs. and love it. We also stay in Mission Tx. Stores galour, no traffic, cheap to live, safe and nice weather. If you stay closer to the coast like Harlingen or South Padre it's going to be windy a lot of the time. There's over 300 parks in RGV. No real places to boon dock. It's a great place to stay for the winter and get caught up on maintenance for the next traveling year. I found a real good video that explains how RGV works if other folks are interested.

mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:27 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
McAllen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldonc View Post
We are in our eighth season in McAllen Texas. We have had three days of winter this season with temperatures dipping into upper 30's and high of only 50's. Most days in the 70's and many in the low 80's. Very friendly people and inexpensive place to over winter!
We are in San Antonia area in a Class A. Looking for a place in that area for a future winter home. What park are you in? Can you recommend a few? Would love a place with some Christian Fellowship.
Thanks
kcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:14 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Very informative. We have wintered in AZ for eight years, but are back full timing and looking for a place in RGV.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:20 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcollins View Post
We are in San Antonia area in a Class A. Looking for a place in that area for a future winter home. What park are you in? Can you recommend a few? Would love a place with some Christian Fellowship.
Thanks

Is San Antonia anywhere near San Antonio, TX? Big grin.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:37 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Is San Antonia anywhere near San Antonio, TX? Big grin.

Ken
O o o o

Heehee
Old 02-10-2021, 02:16 AM   #27

One person wrote that there isn't good medical. There are very large hospitals and a lot of medical facilities. Also another person wrote that they are run down towns. It has been a very fast growing area and most of the business are new builds. Yes there are some poorer neighborhoods as in any city, but most are nice. It is supposed to be the forth largest metro area in Texas, so there are a lot of shopping and restaurants. There is a very nice and large mall. There are many RV parks in the Mission McAllen area that will suite any taste. There are about 12 towns in the central RGV valley that are all grown together into one large city. We stay in Mission at Bentsen Palm Village in Mission and have for five years, It is a newer park with many activies. There is a state park next door that allows only biking and walking, pool-hot tub, wood shop, pickle ball, craft room, 9 miles of city bike trail, pool, park owned gun range, park owned pontoon boat for rides on the Rio Grande, kayaks and many other things do do. If you run out of things to do, your not looking too hard. The people are friendly and the locals like you there. The traffic is easy to get around.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:02 AM   #28

We are over wintering at McAllen Mobile Park. Great location and reasonable prices for staying in the RGV.
eldonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas, winter