Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2017, 08:51 AM   #29
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In Texas, the vehicle has to be inspected, and registered, in the county of primary domain.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
If I am reading the bill correctly, vehicles that are registered in counties where emissions testing is required, will still have to them tested. This will exclude most MH's but not most toads.
Emissions testing will not, as I understand it, be affected by this bill. This is just repealing the safety inspections.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
If I am reading the bill correctly, vehicles that are registered in counties where emissions testing is required, will still have to them tested. This will exclude most MH's but not most toads.
First, you are assuming that most motorhomes are diesel - not true. I'd bet that there are probably more gas than diesel motorhomes. That said, for fulltimers who live in Texas that won't be much of a problem because most of them use Escapees for mail and Livingston isn't in a non-attainment area, so there is no emission testing. Might make some people who use family members address in a metro area look at using a mail service instead.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:34 AM   #32
RV LIFE Support Team

I am confused by Scottybdivan said and other comments in this thread. Why would a MH be excluded from emissions testing. I thought this bill only applied to inspections. Emissions is a totally different item. Why would a MH be excluded from emissions and not a car? What am I missing?

I am not from TX so maybe there is a weird law.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:53 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I am confused by Scottybdivan said and other comments in this thread. Why would a MH be excluded from emissions testing. I thought this bill only applied to inspections. Emissions is a totally different item. Why would a MH be excluded from emissions and not a car? What am I missing?

I am not from TX so maybe there is a weird law.
Diesels are not tested in Texas. I said "most", but as Barb corrected me that "most" MH's are gas and will have to be tested if you live or are registered in one of the 18 non-attainment counties..

Quote:
VEHICLES THAT REQUIRE AN EMISSIONS TEST

The following vehicles need to undergo emissions testing:

The rules for emissions testing are different in different counties. The following counties require vehicles to undergo emissions testing: Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, Williamson and El Paso counties.
All gasoline powered vehicles need to undergo emissions testing.
All vehicles from 2 through 24 years old need to carry out emissions testing. Even upon expiration of the 2 year initial inspection sticker the test needs to be conducted.
Quote:
First, you are assuming that most motorhomes are diesel - not true. I'd bet that there are probably more gas than diesel motorhomes. That said, for fulltimers who live in Texas that won't be much of a problem because most of them use Escapees for mail and Livingston isn't in a non-attainment area, so there is no emission testing. Might make some people who use family members address in a metro area look at using a mail service instead.
You are correct, only diesel MH's will be exempt. Unfortunately, I live in Travis county and will still have to have the emissions tested on my F150.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #34

have not heard a word mentioned about my 5'er...
dowoplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowoplover View Post
have not heard a word mentioned about my 5'er...
Since your 5er only got the safety inspection, that requirement will go away.
Blog
Old 05-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #36

I'm not 100% sure but it appears SB 1588 did not get a vote on the House floor before the House adjourned on May 28th. If true, the bill failed and will not become law this session. Looks like vehicle inspections will continue to be the way of things in TX.

Again, not the end of the world but a hassle nonetheless.

BTW, the House bill never made it out of the house, probably in favor of the Senate bill.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #37
RV LIFE Support Team

When do they go back in session? July??

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 05-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #38

Not sure and even if they did, I'm not sure a bill carries over from one session to the next. I might be wrong but they would have to start from scratch, though the process might go quicker since the bill was so advanced.

There may be a special session called, however. But in Nevada, only bills on the agenda set by the Governor can be considered. I don't know if that's how it works in TX. If so, SB 1588 could only be considered if on the agenda. If not, then they might get to it...maybe.

I don't think it matters if you're a new TX resident, already domiciled there, already have an RV or just bought a new one, I believe you can self-certify your vehicle is out of state and get an inspection once you enter TX...or never if you never actually go to Texas.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:39 AM   #39
RV LIFE Support Team

I don't understand why the bill wouldn't carry forward. They are just on summer "vacation".

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 05-31-2017, 09:15 AM   #40

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I don't understand why the bill wouldn't carry forward. They are just on summer "vacation".
No, the state of Texas legislature meets every other year and is suppose to be done by the end of May (unless governor calls special session). Things not done wait 2 years to be brought back.

It did make it out of committee in the House, don't know what the hold up was or why never brought to a vote.
Blog
Old 05-31-2017, 10:48 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
No, the state of Texas legislature meets every other year and is suppose to be done by the end of May (unless governor calls special session). Things not done wait 2 years to be brought back.

It did make it out of committee in the House, don't know what the hold up was or why never brought to a vote.
Everything I read said they considered hundreds of bills in the last few days. Plus, they had the bathroom bill, the sanctuary city bill and a few other controversial bills pending. The sanctuary city bill debate nearly led to a fight on the floor of the house. I guess they just didn't get to it with everything else going on.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:26 AM   #42
RV LIFE Support Team

Every 2 years??? So the state goes to pot for 2 years while they are on a 2 year "vacation". And everything starts at the beginning again!!!! I assume they get paid. I sure would like a job like that..........................

RV LIFE Support Team

Tags
texas