Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2022, 12:51 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thousand Trails: is it worth it?

Hi everyone looking for feedback on TT as well as any other resorts that have memberships available. We are currently in Arizona and this TT park is fantastic. Please let me know your experience and advice
Deemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2022, 12:52 PM   #2

All I know is if you buy it, you better use it.
It takes a longtime to break even
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 12:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If how you camp you fix into the model and places that TO have CG's and you feel like you could use there campgrounds. Yes its worth it. But there are a lot of people that don't use it much.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 01:30 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Most of the TT campgrounds here in Washington State could use some serious attention. Personally I wouldn't join, as there are many restrictions pertaining to selling/transferring membership. But, that's just me.
Do your homework before signing anything. Years ago a couple we know spent years trying to unload their seldom used TT membership. They called it Thousand Regrets.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 02:11 PM   #5

I have a membership. I stay an average 330 nights/year and have saved thousands each year on CG fees.
It is NOT for everyone. Do your research. It is pretty complicated because there are so many different types of memberships.
A great resource to learn more is the RVLove website here
Old 11-06-2022, 02:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I have a membership. I stay an average 330 nights/year and have saved thousands each year on CG fees.
It is NOT for everyone. Do your research. It is pretty complicated because there are so many different types of memberships.
A great resource to learn more is the RVLove website here
You’re doing good. the average Rver, not so much.
I’m out 90-120 days. Makes no sense for me.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 02:40 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
You’re doing good. the average Rver, not so much.

I’m out 90-120 days. Makes no sense for me.

Well, at an average of $30/night at non-TT parks, 120 days would cost $3,600

So, if you could stay those 120 nights at TT, you would payback your membership in only a year,or at most two years.

Definitely buy used memberships for less than half price at

https://www.campgroundmembershipoutlet.com
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 02:43 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemax View Post
Hi everyone looking for feedback on TT as well as any other resorts that have memberships available. We are currently in Arizona and this TT park is fantastic. Please let me know your experience and advice
It depends on the level of membership you have. Thousand Trails breaks the US up into 5 different zones. There are several different packages available.
If you use it, it can help with camping fees. We have a total of $16,000 into our membership, not counting our yearly maintenance fee ($600.00/year). We have upgraded our first membership twice, once in November 2017 from basic to Elite Basic. Then in April 2020 we went to Elite Connections, total spent on the three and upgrades was the 16K.
Every year we also purchase The Trails Collections ($325/year). With this
add-on we can use Encore parks for 14 days for either $0.00 or $20/night, depends on the park.
If you purchase it, and use it, depending on the level and usage, you can save money.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:40 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We bought used for less than $3K, all in, from a private seller. We can stay 21 nights and go park to park for another 21 nights. Based on an average $75/night (KOA) we were whole after about 40 nights our first year. Now, our annual maintenance fee is recovered in less than 10 nights; same average cost per night, not exact, but you get the idea. At the end when we're ready to hang up the keys, we can give it to our son or sell it and likely recover most of our original cost. TT has worked well for us. My advice, educate yourself on the various membership types, including the discontinued memberships on the resale market, then search for what best suits your budget and needs via a broker or private seller.
Old 11-06-2022, 05:13 PM   #10

-If you can afford to pay for public RV parks out of your pocket - then you are better off to not have TT and stay at a park closest/most convenient to where you want to be and for as long as you want to be there.
-If you are full time and you need to minimize your park/camping expense and the locations of the TT/TC parks will work for you then TT might be a fit for you
-We are full time and bought a TT membership used at the elite level. We stay 70% of all nights in TT/TC parks and the remainder we pay for out of pocket.
-The cost of the used membership we purchased will have been paid back by the end of this first year
-Our approach to RV'g is to stay at a hub location and drive our toad from there in various direction to see things. So the locations of most TT/TC parks works for us.
-There are TT/TC parks that aren't close to anything to see. But we have stayed at some of those and used the time to enjoy the park, do maintenance, catch up on bills/emails/etc.
- You might try a one year zone pass and ... try it out
- I would likewise say that unless your rich to buy a used membership (https://www.campgroundmembershipoutlet.com/)
-see attached a portion of a spreadsheet (irv2 wouldn't attach a xls) I used to study the info and to make a decision (use at your own risk)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thousand Trails Membership Cost 221106.pdf (195.9 KB, 88 views)
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 05:13 PM   #11

Our issue with TT is most of the parks are only around the edges of the Country. Not much in the middle. If you only want to travel around the coasts, then there are a number to choose from. Also many of the parks are old and run down. Can't find sewer hookups at many places. Lastly, since they are old parks, they are not adequate for my 45 foot motorhome. Some I can get into fine but there are a lot where my rig is too big.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 05:48 PM   #12

Just read an article about couple of months ago. Basically said same as posted that it can save if you utilize it correctly. Also as stated it can be costly mistake. Like any other time share type place. If looking to save money look at passport America. That fits our lifestyle better
Good luck
Old 11-20-2022, 09:39 AM   #13

We don't have that many RV'ing years left so we have taken the annual memberships. I spoke with a rep at one of the campgrounds (not the 877 number) and he is going to help us get a lower maintenance fee for next year plus make our reservation early for a desired campground.

Lucky find for us, we were all set to ditch the membership at the end of this year.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:26 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Had it and got rid of it. Biggest waste of money I ever made.
largo1005 is offline   Reply With Quote