Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #1

Three weeks in and loving it...

So I wrote a post a few weeks ago about the journey to going full time and that we were going to move in for a month to work out the kinks. We are three weeks in and we are so satisfied with the experience that we have decided to stay in the RV while preparing the s&b for sale. We love it.

I will say that moving a 2300 sq ft home into something under 350 sq was a challenge of my organizing skills. We have also already started shedding some things we thought we needed (like three weeks worth of clothes for summer and winter ). We have also reorganized the cabinets from how we stored things when using this as a vacation home and set it up better for working on the road. We purchased and installed a new smart TV for enjoying sports on at night and for a second working screen for the computer during the day. Since we upgraded the electronics to smaller more up to date mult-functioning pieces I was able to commandeer the shelves under the TV for extra pantry space.

Some of my favorite items so far: our sleep number bed. My DH hasn't had to use his c-pap machine since we moved in and with the dual air settings I don't feel him getting up at night and he doesn't feel me getting up in the morning so we are both sleeping much better. Cosco had a set of 8 glass dishes with rubber lids for under $20. They work in both the oven or the microwave and then go straight to the refrigerator so able to shed most of the Tupperware. My new residential refrigerator. It keeps the food cold and the ice cream so frozen that we have to set it out for a few minutes before we can scoop it. A ottoman from Target that was $27. It is small but the inside is a great storage area for the dogs winter clothes, toys, treats, clean up bags, and leashes while working great for extra seating or as a foot rest. Our new TV has been great to watch the amazing bowl games and hope to have a small super bowl party with our friends before hitting the road. It also makes a great second screen for my DH to read plans off of (we own a tile and flooring company so he will be bidding projects while we travel). We also found a great over the door towel holder at target for $8 that is two rubberband looking pieces with three movable bars to hang the towels off of. We started with a CW over the door towel rack but it rattled something awful when traveling and stuck out into the hallway to far.

I will say that when we had rain it was very important to not spend too many hours in the unit as cabin fever set in. We also experienced our first night below freezing and learned that we bought a really well insulated unit. We put a space heater by the dogs area (yes it shuts off if even slightly tipped and the exterior does not get hot at all) and then enjoyed sleeping in a snuggly warm bed with our furnace set on low.

One of the things I was not sure of was if I wanted to upgrade the w/d from the single unit to full size unit or use the laundry mats. So far I am enjoying the laundry mat as it was nice to get four loads done in the time of one. It was more expensive then when I was younger but then again so is a new washer and dryer.

I hope this rambling post will be useful for someone exploring going full time. I really enjoyed reading about others and used many things that I learned on here to help things go smoother and with less surprises.
foreverfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We felt so good when we got the house sold, everything sold and in the RV. We were in the RV in the drive while we had the sale. The full-time life has been great so far.

We wish you the best and enjoy life.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #3

Welcome to our world. We have been fulltime for almost 8 years. We've had a few bad experiences, like blowouts, but mostly it's been great. We were not old enough to retire but did it anyway. One of us just started getting SS so that's been great. We still have to work 6 months of the year, park hosting and a job outside the park, but that's ok. We've seen so much and have spent quality time with relatives all over, I wouldn't change a thing. We have no plans to settle down anytime soon, so much more to see! My 2 cents, don't travel more than 250 miles a day, stay a few days or even a week, go to little town festivals or fairs and see as many of the national parks & monuments as you can. Eat the same way as you did in your home and plan for repairs & maintenance. If there are some sentimental items you just can't part with, get a storage unit and re evaluate after 1 year on the road. Enjoy!
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Trust me, if you put in a w/d you will fine that you will love it. I hate schlepping to laundromats, like doing a load while fixing dinner, surfing the web, sleeping.

We're 8 years into our journey, and still getting rid of things - every winter more things go to Goodwill as we realize we don't need (nor want) things we once thought were important.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #5

Planning to go full-time

I am brand-new to the RV lifestyle but am desperately desiring to live full-time in one. I have been a professional musician for the past 30 years and early in my career (80's) I had a conversion van that I built and I loved traveling in it until my travels got cut short due to an accident (I got caught up in the middle of a police chase in Colorado and the police ran the bad guys into my van totaling it and putting me in the hospital). I now have the traveling-bug again but limited finances so I am contemplating purchasing a used Class C RV, between 24-28 ft, and living/traveling in that hopefully by this summer (2014). I am hoping to work as I go for income.

I have been doing a lot of research concerning RV's and the full-time lifestyle and I will be attending the RV Supershow in Tampa, FL the 3rd week of January to see what's what.

Any words of wisdom or advice from veteran full-time RV'ers would be greatly appreciated. I am so looking forward to getting out on the road again.
TravelinJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #6

Florida is a great place to find a rig. Not sure I would advise going to the Tampa show and looking at new RV's if you are going to buy used. The new stuff will make used look bad. Best not to know how the new stuff looks...

Anyway - you have to decide how you will get around. Go to the store, go to work, etc. A class 'C' will need to tow whatever you will drive to work.

Good luck at the Show.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:07 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Foreverfree, Happy that things are going well so far. Enjoyed reading your post. Don't sweat the small stuff and soon you will learn that it is all small stuff.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:47 AM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourijan View Post
Welcome to our world. We have been fulltime for almost 8 years. We've had a few bad experiences, like blowouts, but mostly it's been great. We were not old enough to retire but did it anyway. One of us just started getting SS so that's been great. We still have to work 6 months of the year, park hosting and a job outside the park, but that's ok. We've seen so much and have spent quality time with relatives all over, I wouldn't change a thing. We have no plans to settle down anytime soon, so much more to see! My 2 cents, don't travel more than 250 miles a day, stay a few days or even a week, go to little town festivals or fairs and see as many of the national parks & monuments as you can. Eat the same way as you did in your home and plan for repairs & maintenance. If there are some sentimental items you just can't part with, get a storage unit and re evaluate after 1 year on the road. Enjoy!
Love the fairs and festivals too. We have also visited many national parks and monuments. We've also limited our travel to 250 to 300 miles a day. Visited some very interesting places between TX and ME.
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:54 AM   #9

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverfree View Post
So I wrote a post a few weeks ago about the journey to going full time and that we were going to move in for a month to work out the kinks. We are three weeks in and we are so satisfied with the experience that we have decided to stay in the RV while preparing the s&b for sale. We love it.

I will say that moving a 2300 sq ft home into something under 350 sq was a challenge of my organizing skills. We have also already started shedding some things we thought we needed (like three weeks worth of clothes for summer and winter ). We have also reorganized the cabinets from how we stored things when using this as a vacation home and set it up better for working on the road. We purchased and installed a new smart TV for enjoying sports on at night and for a second working screen for the computer during the day. Since we upgraded the electronics to smaller more up to date mult-functioning pieces I was able to commandeer the shelves under the TV for extra pantry space.

Some of my favorite items so far: our sleep number bed. My DH hasn't had to use his c-pap machine since we moved in and with the dual air settings I don't feel him getting up at night and he doesn't feel me getting up in the morning so we are both sleeping much better. Cosco had a set of 8 glass dishes with rubber lids for under $20. They work in both the oven or the microwave and then go straight to the refrigerator so able to shed most of the Tupperware. My new residential refrigerator. It keeps the food cold and the ice cream so frozen that we have to set it out for a few minutes before we can scoop it. A ottoman from Target that was $27. It is small but the inside is a great storage area for the dogs winter clothes, toys, treats, clean up bags, and leashes while working great for extra seating or as a foot rest. Our new TV has been great to watch the amazing bowl games and hope to have a small super bowl party with our friends before hitting the road. It also makes a great second screen for my DH to read plans off of (we own a tile and flooring company so he will be bidding projects while we travel). We also found a great over the door towel holder at target for $8 that is two rubberband looking pieces with three movable bars to hang the towels off of. We started with a CW over the door towel rack but it rattled something awful when traveling and stuck out into the hallway to far.

I will say that when we had rain it was very important to not spend too many hours in the unit as cabin fever set in. We also experienced our first night below freezing and learned that we bought a really well insulated unit. We put a space heater by the dogs area (yes it shuts off if even slightly tipped and the exterior does not get hot at all) and then enjoyed sleeping in a snuggly warm bed with our furnace set on low.

One of the things I was not sure of was if I wanted to upgrade the w/d from the single unit to full size unit or use the laundry mats. So far I am enjoying the laundry mat as it was nice to get four loads done in the time of one. It was more expensive then when I was younger but then again so is a new washer and dryer.

I hope this rambling post will be useful for someone exploring going full time. I really enjoyed reading about others and used many things that I learned on here to help things go smoother and with less surprises.

We've been fulltiming since Jun. Sold 3000 sq ft house and now in 30 ft rv. Loving life.

We left TX on Jun 30 and traveled to ME. A great journey filled with great memories.

We use laundry mats too. 4 or 5 loads done usually in 2 hours. Love it.

We use a book called "1,000 places to visit before you die" and the book is worth it. Visited so many places we knew nothing about.
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:02 PM   #10

Thank you, Foreverfree.
I love hearing what experiences the full timers have, as that is my goal by the end of this year. So much to think about. As I said to Big Mike, being a single, retired, female, it's a little daunting. I think that once I actually purchase my rig and stop over thinking everything, I'll be okay. In the meantime, I am depending on you guys out there for you advice and experience. Thanks again.
katyscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #11

Foreverfree:

Fantastic - sounds like you are having as much fun as we are. We just sold our house in November and bought a used MH in December and have been sort of fulltiming since. We both love it. Presently we are staying at a Park until June due to some committments in the area. We have been taking 4 day trips at State Parks in Florida to get use to driving, setting up and breaking camp, etc. It ha been a blast and we keep saying why didn't we do earlier.

Once we go on the road up to New York and to other parts unknown, we will be officially (in our definition of the term) fulltiming.

Best of luck and hope to cross paths some day.

Happy RV'ing
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshaggydog View Post
Foreverfree:

Fantastic - sounds like you are having as much fun as we are. We just sold our house in November and bought a used MH in December and have been sort of fulltiming since. We both love it. Presently we are staying at a Park until June due to some committments in the area. We have been taking 4 day trips at State Parks in Florida to get use to driving, setting up and breaking camp, etc. It ha been a blast and we keep saying why didn't we do earlier.

Once we go on the road up to New York and to other parts unknown, we will be officially (in our definition of the term) fulltiming.

Best of luck and hope to cross paths some day.

Happy RV'ing
I will be glad when we get our house sold as I agree that then it will feel "real". Hope to see you on the road soon.
foreverfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
pssst....want to know a secret?

It gets better every day!
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #14

How exciting for you! Glad your first three weeks went well. Our s&b house goes on the market next week, and we move into our new RV in a month (it's still being built), so we're a jumble of emotions too. We're not quite sure what to expect, so it's great to hear from so many people who are loving full-timing!

-Mike & Kat
greendog99 is offline   Reply With Quote