Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-16-2021, 10:00 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Totally agree. Everyone needs an 'exit plan'. When we sold the house we invested the money. That was our exit plan. No regrets.
Same here.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2021, 10:10 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristos View Post
Many of you were right that I did not 'plan' to Full Time for more than six months, nor would I care to go from RV Park to RV Park for the rest of my life. For those who plan to do that, I wish you many Happy Trails.

While your answers were informative, I stand by my original post as a Caution to many who may be exploring RV Living out of want or necessity: UNLESS you have Good Friends or Loved Ones WITH LAND you will find transitioning back to a stationary existence more challenging than you could have imagined...

Namaste!
We invested the money from our house, and will buy something when the time is right. We don't have friends or loved ones with land, we will have the land and/or house when we buy it. What you are saying isn't necessarily true.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:14 AM   #87

You don't have to sell a motorhome to stop traveling. We live in it while parked for the winter now and travel in the summer, so we could live in it parked year round. A house is not a no maintenance proposition, so when we can't climb in and out of the motorhome, the choice will have to be assisted living.
Teamfoxy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 02:29 PM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
As my wife and I go on long weekend adventures with our coach and see several "full timers" in the RV resorts / parks we use, we ask ourselves "what is so enticing about full-timing vs. have a permanent home and using an RV as a mobile vacation/2nd home?"

Our immediate family now number 15 (three kids, their spouses and seven grandkids) and we couldn't imagine hosting family weekend and holiday gatherings anywhere other than our 3,800 sq. ft. home. The wife is adamant about having her "grandbabies" in the grandkids bedrooms under her roof. Can't imagine how that works if a couple such as us is full-timing.

What is the attractiveness of full-timing?
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 03:53 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
As my wife and I go on long weekend adventures with our coach and see several "full timers" in the RV resorts / parks we use, we ask ourselves "what is so enticing about full-timing vs. have a permanent home and using an RV as a mobile vacation/2nd home?"

Our immediate family now number 15 (three kids, their spouses and seven grandkids) and we couldn't imagine hosting family weekend and holiday gatherings anywhere other than our 3,800 sq. ft. home. The wife is adamant about having her "grandbabies" in the grandkids bedrooms under her roof. Can't imagine how that works if a couple such as us is full-timing.

Different strokes.

Maybe folks have children and grandchildren scattered across the country who don’t always have time to travel and visit grandma.

Maybe it’s been a life long dream to be free of a schedule, to see the country they’ve been flying over their entire life.

Maybe they travel for work.

Maybe...

I’m not a full-timer, but I don’t question those who have made that choice.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:10 AM   #90

Quote:

It's definitely not for everyone and you would probably not like it.

We retired early and knew we didn't want to sit at home even though we lived in a 3,000 sq ft home on a lake and had the boats and all the toys. We made the decision in one May and sold everything and took off in August. It was an awesome lifestyle for 16 years and never regretted anything.

It's the full freedom of paring down all your worldly possessions that one thinks they need and traveling wherever you want for as long as you want. We have covered every secondary road in many states and much of the back country in our Jeep. We truly saw the country, including Alaska and Canada. We loved our public parks or boondocking on public lands. No resorts for us! It's such a calm, easy lifestyle; no pressures.

Our kids didn't stay in our hometown after college and during our full-timing years we spent quality time with them and our grandchildren by us visiting them or they would visit us in special places. We were at their special school activities from kindergarten through high school - graduations, plays, music performances, sports games and tournaments. This was before we had internet and cell phones. We spent many hours with them talking in telephone booths! We actually wrote letters and the kids learned this long lost skill. Can you imagine? The grandkids grew up with us full-timing and are now in college and very adventurous themselves - backpacking through Europe, including North Korea - one of the last times visitors were allowed. One just returned from 5 days in Costa Rica from a college break - just to do some rain forest hiking. They find super cheap plane fares and take off to exotic places during their school breaks. They were sad to see us stop and they thank us for instilling free-spirit travel into their lives. We've done a lot of volunteering and the kids joined us at times and helped out while learning how to deal with the public.

We've met many new friends along the way and hooked up with them often just by letting each other know where we were and then we met up with them even if hundreds of miles away. Twenty-three of those couples now live in our same community - instant family.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:48 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Different strokes.

Maybe folks have children and grandchildren scattered across the country who donít always have time to travel and visit grandma.

Maybe itís been a life long dream to be free of a schedule, to see the country theyíve been flying over their entire life.
We never have to pack up
Maybe they travel for work.

Maybe...

Iím not a full-timer, but I donít question those who have made that choice.
Some families do get scattered around the country and as grandchildren grow up, start jobs and are away at schools, it gets even harder to get everyone in one place. We visit them all as we travel in our motorhome. We also own RV lots in FL and VA to use as base camps in the winter and summer months. Being in the motorhome full time means we never have to pack up and unpack. Just turn the key and go wherever, whenever. Obviously it's not for everyone and hopefully never will be.
Teamfoxy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:14 AM   #92

Monaco Owners Club
To Anyone Considering Fool-Timing...

Quote:

Not your thing , thatís ok . What is the attraction to a house?.We travel and see our kids and grands a few times a year. They are all in the NW Oregon and Washington. We arenít involved in the daily living of our kids and their kids nor do we want to be, but we do keep in close touch. Hard not to with Facebook FaceTime and the rest.
We see things differently as we are enjoying time together with each other exploring. Years ago We fell in love together Öjust us . We raised a great family ( 4 kids) and now we are back to just the two of us again and enjoying each other more than ever . We arenít dependent on being involved in the kids activities, we have our own. I actually wouldnít want to be!
We fly to their house for holidays and big events , that is if we are too far away to drive the MH back. They fly to see us the same way. The grands all take turns of a week with us , if they want. The rv is our home but we still fly places at least 4-5 times a year. We donít need our old big house , the kids have one now! they can put us up! Our kids ( and many of our old friends) are jealous of us. Different strokes.
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:23 PM   #93

Quote:

Well, I can only speak for our own situation, but in our case, our girls were leaving to college. Our house, which served a great purpose raising our girls, was too big for just the two of us, and we're not in love with it, so we're going to sell and buy something else, eventually. I began looking at finances I had saves since my early 20's. I discovered we could probably live off of our savings for the rest of our lives, with a modest but quite comfortable budget. This presented us with basically 2 choices. Sell the house and buy something right away, or sell and invest, quit our jobs, travel, then buy something later, if we decide that's what we want to do. The latter sounded very exciting, so we did it. We've probably seen our daughters as much away at college than we would have continuing to work and living in the same house, because we've gone to them, and seen sights and different areas of the state we would not have. As for family and my own siblings, only one of them I really get along with, the other two are really a couple of nut jobs who I'd rather not be around anyway, I'm sure a few of you can relate. The nieces/nephew I keep in touch with. The sibling I do get along with we speak every few days, and have had a passion for online gaming competition for decades now so we continue that wherever we're at, works great. We're heading back to the PNW right now to spend the holidays with our girls, and see my dad. That I can imagine will continue no matter what scenario we find ourselves in. So that is our specific family situation
In this situation we're at right now, we can choose to settle anywhere, including where our daughter(s) end up, which is quite up in the air for the next few years as they establish their careers and meet their eventual significant others. If they remain in the same area, great, we'll travel to see them. If they leave the area, same. If/when we settle down, we don't necessarily need to be breathing down their necks, we'll probably choose somewhere a couple hours away. Which state we want to settle in has also become a matter of consideration as of late, for various reasons, and that will weigh heavily on our decision, eventually, as well. So freedom of choice is a big factor for us.
There is an endless number of reasons everyone has that makes full time RVing very attractive. I didn't even mention the endless adventure, and being lucky enough to be married to my best friend and see and experience everything with her while we still can. It's an endless blessing every day I thank God for. It's really quite fun .
Your situation, if I was in it, yeah, I can see why full time rv just might not fit there. It's all about choice.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:32 PM   #94

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There is some merit to the original post, though the tone of it is a bit off-putting. If someone (or a couple) does decide to go full-time, they really should think about how long they plan to do this. At some point, driving it will become impossible. Even things like getting up and down the stairs could be an extreme hardship. A plan for that point is important. Will you purchase another home? Rent a home? Move in with family? If so, is your family alright with that? Have you discussed it with them? Maybe you will just park it for good somewhere and not move it, that's fine also. But it is important to have a plan (or two) and have the finances to execute that plan. I'm assuming that most full-timers do have a plan and finances to take care of themselves at this point. It sounds like the OP was perhaps assuming the opposite and attempting to warn others to have a plan.

We purchased our RV in Feb and sold our home in June, investing the cash. So it wasn't a huge risk because we have investments to purchase a home/lot/whatever in the future and we are still working. I am grateful to have choices but recognize not everyone does. It sounds like the OP maybe does not. I don't know. That's just an assumption. As much as I like RV'ing full-time, I don't know how much I would like it if I felt trapped in this position.

As for the idiots in the parks, there are always idiots on the road. Such is life. Boating? Yes, idiots. Off-roading? Yes, idiots. RV'ing? . . . of course.

One last thing, Cristos, I noticed that you often sign off with "Namaste" which is pretty cool, but it appears by your posts that you do not really practice the essence of "namaste." Calling people "fools" for example. Maybe you are trying, and that's good. Keep doing that. Have a great day

~Angie
Old 11-01-2021, 01:33 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
First of all, I'm not sure the OP is actually talking about full time living in a trailer somewhere or actual full time RV traveling.

While we are starting our 11th year I will agree you need to be financially prepared to come off the road and purchase property as part of an "exit" plan. Past that our exit plan has no date, no location, or much else.
True that. Exactly our situation. We could exit today, if we wanted to. But we don't, so we won't. The point is, don't box yourself in without options.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:13 PM   #96

I guess the wife and I are going to be Fool Timers next year. Selling everything, buying a used DP with a $400-$500K cash budget. After our MH purchase we'll have $1M invested drawing yearly income while not dipping into the principle balance. With this and our retirement income we'll have to make do on $110K annually. Damn...wish I'd had planned better...can't see how this possibly could be sustainable! 🙄
Denie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:58 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Things always change, whether we want them to or not. Best thing to do is to count your blessings every day and keep a positive attitude. Things will change again ... breath in, breath out, move on (to quote Jimmy Buffet). Do your best to find the "good" in every day.
One of the best replies I have seen in a long time. To quote it a different way (the other side of the coin) is called desivisness, make the important decisions and keep moving forward.

For if you dwell on the past decisions/grudges of money or spit. It only holds you back from putting that (same time) thought process into future decisions and desivisness that keeps paying big dividends.

That really makes one find the good in everyday, as it piles up.

I'll take the property falling down.

Only need

The well
The street power
The Septic

Through the whole house in a dumpster. Then get some stone for the driveway.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:33 PM   #98

Decisiveness.

Of course itís always possible to be decisive and still make poor decisions.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
timing