Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #1

Upgrading, need info

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. My wife and I recently pulled the trigger and began living f/t in our camper. Currently, we are in our Keystong 2670 TT that we bought last year for fair weather camping. We have researched numerous forums and sites regarding f/t living and are well aware that we need to upgrade to a 5er due to the winters that we'll be experiencing. We currently live in Ohio, so the winters are relatively cold. However, we're moving to Montana next spring and will be "setting up shop" on our gorgeous piece of land at the base of the Rocky Mountains. We're staying within a certain budget for our upgrade as we are adament about living debt free. I have a brand new 3/4 ton Duramax so size/weight won't be an issue. We can't afford anything that'd be too heavy for the truck. hahaha We found a 2003 Montana 3255RL for $11K and believe it would suit our needs well. One thing I can't find is the R value for this rig. I know the Montana's are well insulated but I want to make sure before buying one. Could anyone lend advice or suggestions? Thank you.
usafmsgt7594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I can't help with question about the trailers but we're glad you found us.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #3

You might look for a Montana owners forum for answers. I believe Montana sells the largest number of 5'rs but they are mid range not a high quality rig. You may want to keep looking for a used, better quality rig like Excel, you could pull a smaller Drv with your truck, or a Hitchhiker. For example, Drv's have 3 1/4' insulation all around, even the slides. Does this Montana have dual pane windows, you need those. Be patient and find a well insulated rig. We have relatives in MT and it's just as cold or colder as OH.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Hello and welcome to the forum, Not that many 5th Wheel are made for fulltime living, 5 or 6 manufactures only, Excel, Teton, and a few others, they all have dual pane windows, heavy insulation, and are much more expensive, I agree with missourijan, Montana are nice but are not high quality 5'rs, and are certainly not made for fulltime living especially if you plan spending the winter anywhere over the sunbelt ,
Mike
Old 04-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 5th wheel 2007 Montana,i would have to look in my book,but mine is below 0 deg,Mine has the artic package and its never been winterized.And as far as the way there built,you wont find a better built tt.Research on the internet,they were the number one trailer for years.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #6

Montana year round

We recently bought a Jayco Pinnacle which is "four seasons" ready. However I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but IMHO I don't think you'll find anything that will hold up to winter in Montana. You will spend a ridiculous amount of money for heat whether its propane or electric and you still wont keep it from freezing. They simply are not made for the cold and wind like you have in Montana or anywhere in that region.
go4dsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:17 AM   #7

Thanks for all of the replies. We've also found a Teton, Cardinal, and DRV that would suit our needs. The exception being price. As fas as living in any 5er for the winter in Montana, my wife and I are game for whatever comes our way. We're from "the sticks" of Ohio and Kentucky and willingly live harder than most would even consider attempting. Be it using outhouses, pulling water from a well in buckets every day, or living in a 300 sq ft shack, we have always embraced the challenges and are still incredibly happy with life. I personally spent 5 years in Alaska (military) and absolutely loved every second of that type of living. Nearly every person we talk to in our current campgrounds are at the point in life where they want an easier, plush lifestyle. Not us, we feel out of place in the high end units when visiting neighbors. One caveat to this post...we will be building our log home within 5 years of our move. Therefore, our "roughing it" will be short lived.
What kind of 4 season rigs are the DRV, Teton, and Cardinal that I mentioned earlier?
Old 04-25-2014, 07:09 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
"What kind of 4 season rigs are the DRV, Teton, and Cardinal that I mentioned earlier?"

DRV and Teton are both true FT rigs. Cardinal would not be in that category. As someone else mentioned, Excel and Hitchhiker would also fit in the quality FTing rig definition.

I disagree with the poster who indicated you can't do what you are planning. If you get a quality rig, you can set up for Montana winters without major issues. I know people who winter in MN, which gets as cold, and actually colder than many areas of Montana. It will require some prep work, but you can find all the info you need on line. Starting with the right rig will make a big difference.

One final point-don't pay much attention to manufacturers claims of "4 season". Its largely meaningless. Any rig can be used in all four seasons--its what those seasons consist of that is the relevant point. Manufacturers also play games with "R value" numbers. But framing, wall thickness, insulation, slide floor insulation, dual panes, heated basement (which is different than just tank pads) enclosed valves etc, all make for the differences in a FT rig.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #9

Another used RV to try to find is a Newmar or a Travel Supreme which are in the heavy-duty category. You can surely live in cold weather in a 5th wheel but beware of the extremely high propane costs you will encounter. You might consider a catalytic heater to be used in place of your furnace. They are much more efficient. Good luck with your dream!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
We have a Crossroads Cruiser 2013 (parked beside my house) with the Polarize package, supposedly good for as low as 16 deg, but in no way this is realistic, for normal fulltime living.
But last Christmas, the all family visited and with a - 0 deg temp, we started the LP furnace, and added a small 1500 W ceramic furnace in the morning, and very supprIsed a few hours later we had a nice 68th deg, so my daughter and her four kids all slept in the 5th Wheels kid just loved the experience, cost was about 20lbs LP , plan is to repeat the same next year,
Mike
Old 04-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #11

These are very reassuring responses. We will have the 5er set up permanent on our land and plan to do some significant winterizing. The Montana has heated basements but we'll do the underpinning and additional electric heat in the compartments. Heat tape and insulation wrap on the water line is a definite requirement. I will be adding additional dense insulation under the body before adding the underpinning. We will have 2 or 3 ceramic or oil filled electric heaters with fans to take the strain off our lp. I've read about stuffing insulation in the sky lights, refrigerator vents (2 of the 3 available), and ceiling fan openings. Tank pads would help as well. Any other suggestions?
Old 04-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #12

I have read a couple of posts on the NuWa Owners forums regarding people living in their HitchHiker 5ers. One lived in Canada, and the other in Wyoming.

Regardless of the 5er you get, you should put a skirt around the bottom. One person used bales of straw. Another used plywood, and attached foam insulation to the back of the plywood. I would think the straw would attract a lot of unwanted critters.

Good luck

Jim
Old 04-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #13

Ok everyone, how about a 2004 Carriage Cameo?
Opinions please...ready, go.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #14

Carriage built good trailers. Cameo was their entry level trailer, but it is still better than a Keystone Montana anyday.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote