Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Full-Timers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJ. View Post
Thaks Steve, you had some good idea's. Nothing works better than an ($) incentive to bring buyers. Thanks Tom J.
Adding to that:

A friend had house for sale and wanted to F/T RV, but was stubborn on the house price. Still waiting. Over 3 years!

Incentives and a bit if flexibility?

Wanna see you folks out HERE!!!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJ. View Post
Thaks Steve, you had some good idea's. Nothing works better than an ($) incentive to bring buyers. Thanks Tom J.
I truly hope you get an offer soon and can make the move. I call testify, after 7 years full time, that it's a wonderful life. Hang in there.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Having sold 3 places on acreage, it is a harder sell. Some do not like the isolation, the $$/sq.ft is higher than comparable city lot homes, and some people are only interested in a big place cheap.

The last one surprised us as well as the agent...1900 sq.ft home, large garage, separate shop, RV cover, 25 miles NW of downtown Houston, heavily wooded lot sold in just under 3 weeks for full asking price.

The one before this was in a small NE Oklahoma city area (40 miles east of Tulsa) and it took 51 weeks and a price reduction.

So it is all in timing and location.

Hang in there and you may need to find a more aggressive agent.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Unfortunately, the market is what it is and buyers are pretty savvy about it now. The lenders are leery and that keeps buyers in check a bit.

We close on our S&B Monday @ 4 PM.

We were fortunate to also overlap. We traded our Winnebago for our DSDP in January, started clearing the house. Several garage sales in April & May along with dragging friends and family to the house to take anything they wanted.

We emptied the house by Late May...I mean EMPTIED it. Us and our 2 GSDs moved into our DSDP on a nice little CG that we were able to lock up a spot through DEC. We did do some painting and replaced some carpet before we put it on the market.

Lots of issues made it a slower sale than we wanted but it all worked out. We started too high and we knew it but thought we could afford a wasted month. Planned rental construction behind our house was the scare card for most prospects. In the end an investor bought it for what we originally thought we could get out of it. WHEW!

We were prepared to drop our price a tad more because we were losing about $800/mo by the time you factor in tax, insurance, lawn care, utilities and interest on the loan.

In the end, the market dictated our terms. You really don't have control over that except you can make sure your property is looking as good as you can. We thought about staging but decided it wasn't worth it.

The hardest decision I think you are facing is how much you really would accept and how long will it take you to get it? In the mean time, are you losing money or by living in it are you fine with waiting?

In the end we found some intrinsic value in not holding out. Getting on the road was our goal. The only thing left is that on NOV 30th Sandee & I both retire!

Due to the Thanksgiving holiday we will actually be on the road by NOV 27th if mother nature doesn't pitch a fit. We will meander our way through Macon, GA to visit the daughter and family and then head SW to the Rio Grande Valley for the winter. After that...catch us if you can.

Best wishes in finding a good buyer and then a great MH!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #19

I was forced to take an early retirement 2010 and a quick decision at that so I could get health ins with retirement. Our plans were to go fulltime. Brought our 5er and tow found a camp hosting spot at a SP close to the house. Spent our time between the two prepping the house, getting rid of stuff inside was good had had a complete interior repaint in 09. Placed it on the market 33% below its market high in Sept and we headed south. Had 2 viewings in 12 mos. Pulled it off the market. Luckily had adjustable mort and it was down to 3 1/4% but with taxes, heating and cooling and lawn maintenance was costing $800. a month.
We weren't under water, replacement cost was 20,000 above asking, and the taxman thought it was worth more than that.
Make a long story short pulled it for a year, placed it again in April 13 with another 20% reduction, less than I paid for it 18 years ago. Finally got a buyer and their loan process was a pain with more extensions than I thought possible.
I now sleep at night and have $800 more in my pocket every month. And some mortage invester got all his money back
If I knew then what I know now I would have done it different, part timer but we have had three years of travel and have enjoyed every minute of it.......well there was one day?
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #20

Just sold our house about 5 weeks ago and got full price although it probably is not in the same ballpark as yours in VA. The market came up since last year here in southern WI when we first thought about selling it so maybe the market is just lagging some out east. Easy for me to say but be patient. Do the lookers leave comments as to why they did not seriously consider buying your place?
browne07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure what we're going to do now. Wife may be forced to retire due to medical problems. We had planned on selling the house and using the proceeds to pay off the MH. But then my step daughter died and left us with 2 grandkids to raise. Oldest is 21 and has moved out but the youngest is 13 so we have a few years to go before we can leave. By then we'll be in our early 70's so may never make it that long. Wife isn't really sure she can cut loose and sell the house anyway plus it needs all new flooring and a kitchen redo due to a water leak from the dishwasher.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #22

Lower the price, or carry the paper!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #23

Hold the note!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
Lower the price, or carry the paper!

Ed

We did it twice in our lives and I highly recommend it for several reasons but one important one is if you want more than you can sale your place for this is the way to do it..
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:07 AM   #24

I hear ya!!! My home has been on the market for 15 months in the Northeast Kingdom in Vermont. The house is 3200 sq feet, has 10 acres and an unbelievable view. The Northeast Kingdom is kinda in nowhere land but I am only 8 miles from our small town. It will take a certain buyer who wants to live in nowhere land. I've had 10 yard sales and sold a lot of stuff. The only things that are left in the house are the things I need to live day to day. I am losing my mind with the waiting! Sooooo, I hear ya. I wish you luck.
krystinamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #25

We sold our home. Our home had 3 acres. We had an aerial shot of house and property. This picture was posted on the realtor's website and within one month house sold. The picture had tons of hits and we had 10 viewings.

Just an idea for you to consider.

We have been fulltiming since June.
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #26

Going full time

We tried to sell our home on 3 acres for 5 years with only a few tire kickers. I was also trying to sell a business.

We tried to get the mortgage company to reduce our interest rates of 7.25 and 9 percent, but would not talk to us. We stopped making payments. They wanted to talk to us. We looked at short sale, or even deep price reduction, but would end up with a $40000 + balance to pay off while on the road. We opted for a Deed In Lieu. This process took us about a 13 - 14 months.

In the meantime in October 2012, I had a triple by pass. A good friend told me "go live your dream" even if some comes in and offers you $10 for your business, take it and go. Ironically, we did get an offer (more than 10) the following January on contract - would not do that again. But we took it, purchased a 2000 American Tradition coach for cash in March, and started the transition. We left our home that had been turned over to the mortgage company in June 2013 with no regrets.

We did have to put some $$$$ and TLC in our motorhome, but it is home to us with a different yard! We have traveled from the midwest to the west coast and heading for Arizona for the winter. My wife says she gets too much attention now.

We both love the lifestyle.

Good luck on selling your home and look at every option. There are a lot of them out there.
Steve1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:57 AM   #27

WOW!!!! I do have an ariel view of my house and property!!!!! Thank you sooooo much for this suggestion....I will call my realtor today. xxoo
krystinamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystinamc View Post
WOW!!!! I do have an ariel view of my house and property!!!!! Thank you sooooo much for this suggestion....I will call my realtor today. xxoo
Great! The aerial photo was the reason it sold. Every person said this was the reason they made an appointment.

Best of luck to selling soon.
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltime